Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Sorry for this question

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Sorry for this question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 09:24 AM
Mark.v.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry for this question

Well we all have to start somewhere !! []

I have just bought a Futaba 6EXA tx and a Hitec Electron 6 rx, i need to swap out my old radio gear, but have no manuals or anything to tell me what goes where.

Could someone please help me with where to plug in the servos and esc on the reciever. I have a 3 channel plane at the moment, with throttle, rudder and elevator.

I don't want to damage the reciever by plugging in the esc in the wrong place (if indeed this would damage it), so any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks, Mark
Old 04-19-2004, 10:37 AM
Mark.v.

Default RE: Sorry for this question

Ah it's ok, found the help i needed, and all working fine, cheers
Old 04-19-2004, 10:43 AM
henk

Hey Mark, you don't have to worry about plugging the servos in the incorrect spot on the receiver. The worst that would happen, is that when you test out your radio you would get an incorrect response. You would do this before trying to fly your plane. As far as ware to plug in the servos, most receiver's just below the port should indicate its function. If it does'nt, you will have to plug them in by trial and error. I'm assuming that you already have your servos in place. If not put them ware you want them and give it a go. Good luck

Henk
Old 04-19-2004, 11:10 AM
Mark.v.

Cheers Henk, i'm getting there slowly with all this, and sometimes dumb questions have to be asked (although no such thing as a dumb question when you don't know i suppose)

The cheap 27mhz am gear that came with the plane decided to cut the throttle 3 metres up from take-off and slam it nose first into the ground, breaking the nose section right off, hence the oh well, get some better radio gear then thought. Hopefully the next time will be more successful, aint giving up though, love it !!!
Old 04-20-2004, 07:01 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

The only sure way to know which channel does what is to experiment. Luckily you won't hurt anything by plugging it into the wrong channel. Just be sure to stand clear of the prop before turning anything on.

Different radio brands do things differently, and I may be totally off base here, but the same radio brand (e.g. Hitec) does two different things depending on which NATION you're in... Talk about confusing!

In the USA, Futaba transmitters have throttle on Channel 3, ailerons on 1, elevator on 2, rudder on 4. Shoot me if I got that messed up, but I am certain of throttle on 3. Rudder-only planes generally have the rudder plugged into the aileron channel, so it's more correctly termed "primary steering," IMHO.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:06 AM
Mark.v.

Ah, well it is all working correctly, but i have the rudder plugged into the rudder channel, are you saying it would be better to plug into the aileron for learning ?

You were correct with the channel assignments, so well done for that
Old 04-20-2004, 07:13 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Actually, it's whatever you feel comfortable with. Some people are "purists," in that it's the rudder, therefore it should be plugged into the rudder channel, period, end of story. There are some advantages, like being able to CORRECTLY control the plane with ailerons and rudder when you move to a full-house, 4-channel airplane. Most fliers don't use the rudder on a regular basis, but you can make maneuvers look pretty if you learn to use it.

The other school of thought is based on the fact that most people don't use rudder anyway, so they should learn to "steer" the plane with the aileron control. That way, you don't have to learn a new stick when you switch to a 4-channel plane, or a plane that only has ailerons.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:26 AM
Mark.v.

Ok, i think the best way would be to try both and see what i am comfortable with.

Thanks very much for your replies Matt, i'm learning a hell of a lot from these forums.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:44 PM
joseph270
My Feedback: (18)

Matt, I too learned a couple of this from you, thanks Joe