Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Battery pack

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 08:21 AM
Mark.v.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery pack

Will the movement in my battery bay affect the flight of my plane?

The compartment seems to be for AA size packs, but it was supplied with a AAA size which rattles about a lot, do i need to secure or pack this out? And if so, what is safe to use with the pack getting quite warm in flight?

Thanks.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:07 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Battery pack

One way to tell if the battery movement will be a problem is to try balancing the airplane at the specified CG with the battery at both extremes of its front-to-back range of motion. If, with the battery as far back as it can move, the plane balances out tail heavy, then it will definitely be a problem.

You should probably secure the pack regardless. Stuff a little foam rubber in the battery bay to cushion and hold the pack in place. It won't melt, unless your batteries are coming out REALLY hot, too hot to hold. Batteries that hot indicate a problem.

If your batteries are too hot to hold coming out of the plane, you're drawing more current from them than they can handle. The only time this is okay is if you're doing it on purpose, hot-rodding your Projeti or competing in F5B, and you don't care if you fry the pack. Otherwise, you either need to reduce current draw on the pack by reducing the propeller load on the motor, or you need to get a different pack capable of producing more current.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:00 PM
Mark.v.

Thanks Matt, i packed it out, and finally got my first flight on it today, solo'd, ground take off, lovely flight, and best of all it landed in one piece, not a bad days work for my first time (barring the attempt with crap radio gear that cut out before), but all said and done, new radio, lots of Aerofly Pro, away she went, lovely jubbly

( yes i am blowing my own trumpet, thank you lol [:'(] )
Old 05-07-2004, 09:27 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Congratulations on a successful flight. Welcome to the world of RC flying!
Old 05-07-2004, 04:25 PM
ctimm
My Feedback: (61)

Hey there, can you send me some info on the long island silent flyers? I live out in brentwood & would love to get together with your club.

Thank you.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:37 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Long Island Silent Flyers www.lisf.org Syosset, NY

Sailplanes, electic gliders and electric slow and parkflyers - No fuel, nothing high speed!

The club has 4 sailplane winchs if you care to try your hand. I started with an Aerobird last March. I now have 5 electic parkflyers, 4 thermal sailplanes and a slope soaring wing.

We meet the third Thursday of the month at 7:30 at Syosset Library, LIE exit for South Oysterbay Road - North.

Huge flying field, friendly people very willing to help new flyers

This is an AMA chartered club so you need to be an AMA member or have your membership application in to join. Visitor come down to the meetings all the time to talk to the members.

If you want to meet up at the field PM me and we can arrange to meet.