Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

anyone familiar with Firebird Commander

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

anyone familiar with Firebird Commander

Old 04-24-2004, 02:23 PM
Hang IV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone familiar with Firebird Commander

Anyone that flies the Firebird Commander, could you tell me roughly what the flight characteristics are. I am interest in the turning ability. How much room do you need at straight level flight to make a 180 degree turn. To make it easy ...how about in no wind conditions.

Thanks Bill
Old 04-24-2004, 11:55 PM
cadd

Default RE: anyone familiar with Firebird Commander

Bill I'm a Florida flyer to pretty new to hobby. I have a Aerobird (ABC) and think they are a lot the same. I have used the challenger wing on my plane and I think if you put a ABC tail on your challenger it will have the same control surface and make it more maneuverable. Just what i have learned or think i have so far

Cadd
Old 04-25-2004, 08:55 AM
WolfeWind

Heya Bill,

I am relatively new to RC flight, but have had the opprtunity to fly the HZ FBIIST, FBC (Commander), and the ABX. The Comander is the best of the three in my opinion if you are just learning.

The FBC wing has a lot of lift, so launch it at about 3/4 Throttle and be prepared for it to try to climb too quickly then stall. If t it does just blip the power of and back on as soon as it starts to arch up too fast. It glides very well so you can fly it on less than full throttle most of the time. I would suggest you start right out in the expert mode setting, it will give you more control - just be sure to ease into your turns gently - or bump through the turn by blipping the control every 3 or 4 seconds. If you hold full turn too long the plane will want to go into a spiral.

Before you fly it, tape the leading and trailing edges of the wing with clear plastic packing tape. Put 3 layers of tape in the mid section that extend just past each end of the prop when it's horizontal - that will keep the prop from chewing up your wing on a crash.

Also beware that the landing gear will loosen up and fall out after a few landings. so rubber band it to the forward wing hold down rod before you put the wing on. ( I use one rubber band on each side of the fuselage.) It has a hard time taking off and landing on short grass - but will do that fine if you put on bigger wheels. If you are going to fly it on grass I would just leave the landing gear of at first.

I would also put some tape on the nose if this is your first plane. Maybe even tape a little piece of sponge on it to cushion a nose dive. The plane will still climb easily with a little extra sponge weight up front.

Cadd is right about the ABC ( Aerobird Challenger Tail). It will give you even more control in Expert Mode since it s hinged in both directions allowing the one elevaor to rise and the other to drop slightly. It really helps in the wind when you have just a little experience.

Cadd - where are you in Florida?. I am in the Clearwater area.Heya Bill,

I am relatively new to RC flight, but have had the opprtunity to fly the HZ FBIIST, FBC (Commander), and the ABX. The Comander is the best of the three in my opinion if you are just learning.

The FBC wing has a lot of lift, so launch it at about 3/4 Throttle and be prepared for it to try to climb too quickly then stall. If t it does just blip the power of and back on as soon as it starts to arch up too fast. It glides very well so you can fly it on less than full throttle most of the time. I would suggest you start right out in the expert mode setting, it will give you more control - just be sure to ease ito your turns gently - or bump through the turn by blipping the control every 3 or 4 seconds. If you hold full turn too long the plane will want to go ino a spiral.

Before you fly it, tape the leading and trailing edges of the wing with clear plastic packing tape. Put 3 layers of tape in the mid section that extend just past each end of the prop when it's horizontal - that will keep the prop from chewing up your wing on a crash.

Also beware that the landing gear will loosen up and fall out after a few landings. so rubber band it to the forward wing hold down rod before you put the wing on. ( I use one ruber band oneach side of the fuselage.) It has a hard time taking off and landing on short grass - but will do that fine if you put on bigger wheels. If you are going to fly it on grass I would just leave the landing gear of at first.

I would also put some tape on the nose if this is your first plane. Maybe even tape a litle piece of sponge on it to cushion a nose dive. The plane will still climb easily with a litle extra sponge weight up front.

Cadd is right about the ABC ( Aerobird Challenger Tail). It will give you even more control in Expert Mode since it s hinged in both directions allowing the one elevaor to rise and the other to drop slightly. It really helps in the wind when you have just a little experience.

Cadd - where are you in Florida?. I am in the Clearwater area.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:34 AM
maiochine

Default anyone familiar with Firebird Commander

hello !!!

Yesteday was the easiest day....i just got crashed my FIREBIRD COMMANDER by trying to execute a looping ..it went to a spirale and than ate the dust...
actualy i was flying with the proffessional mode for the first time!

COULD ANYONE HELP ME WITH SOME TIPS ABOUT HOW TO EXECUTE A LOOPING WITH THAT BIRD ?
I WILL BE GREATFULL FOR ANY HELP YOU COULD DO GUYS ........
Old 02-07-2005, 12:07 AM
brownstone101

the comander can do a 180 in 30-40 ft raduse 50 - 100 ft to levle off in no wind it seems to clime hard when (A) the V tale is set rong (B) facing wind when V tale is set rong (C) WIND RESPECT IT IT WONT RESPECT U (D) on windey days in sport mode its hard u can tirn into the wind the flap gose up for 1 sec the reduses 50% when u learn the plane and its in pro mode wind with the shim is realy fun but dont let the wind take your tip of the wing it will go DOWN in a tale dive but its a nice plane to learn on and its fn to go out and just fly around and watch it fly when u batery is low it shuts the motor off but not flaps so u can glide it down relitively safeif ur new to RC planes i would defently recemend the comander or scout never flown the scot but its comanders miny me