Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

E-Starter or Tiger Moth

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

E-Starter or Tiger Moth

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 08:05 PM
paulio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Starter or Tiger Moth

This is how its goin down, i have an instructer, its kinda like a club where we build FF planes from scratch, you know learn to cover them.
so now he is goin to teach me to fly a H9 Solo (Glow). i have been on an Aerobird for a while and think i need something better. i want to know if i should get an E-Starter or a tiger moth (GWS). or something more aerobatic . because by the time i can get a plane delivered i will have soloed on my SOLO lol.
oh yeah i would also need a package with micro servos and reciever exc..................
really need help
under 200 please
if i wasnt clear, i want electric
just telling you about the solo to show how much experience i have
Old 05-03-2004, 09:22 PM
Urbanking
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: E-Starter or Tiger Moth

its not crystal clear as o what you want. What type of flying do you do, and what u want to do. Give us tah much and go from there. Also how good at flying will you be? Solo flight doesnt mean u can fly anything. I'd say start with E starter. If you want to fly aerobatics, the tigermoth isnt your plane either.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:22 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

The Solo is an airplane from Hangar 9. Whether he can fly alone (solo) or not, is a different story

Neither the Tiger Moth nor the EStarter will be much of a challenge after you solo on your Solo. Having Aerobird experience, the Solo trainer shouldn't be much of a challenge, either, and glow trainers can be quite aerobatic. By the time you're done with the Solo, you should be ready for your first low-winger.

Are you committed to the GWS lineup? I would recommend the Formosa in this case.

How about a balsa kit, like the Mountain Models Dandy or Switchback?
Old 05-04-2004, 02:04 PM
paulio

do want a kit. i would like to build balsa
i have been looking into mountain models
i am not commited to gws, just a thought
after glow trainer experience what would be a good electric kit
looking aerobatic
i'll take any ideas i can get
Old 05-07-2004, 09:04 PM
jatoo

I started with an aerobird, and now I have a Tiger Moth too. I am happy with my choices so far, and I LOVE my Tiger Moth, but it is definately tamer than the aerobird. It flies VERY slow, and will need modifications for aerobatics to be safe. It is however very relaxing to fly, and is beautiful, I love that plane. If you are looking for something bigger better or faster, dont go for the Tiger Moth. If your like me however, you'll love it!
Old 05-08-2004, 06:59 AM
paulio

i like fast, but i would like to be able to fly indoors and out

i was looking at the Gws Zero or an aerobatic plane from mountain models, maybe the switchback\

not that this plane can fly indoors (can it?)
'
is there such thing as an aerobatic plane that can fly indoors???

paul
Old 05-09-2004, 11:11 PM
WolfeWind

I had about 50 flights on an Aerobird Commander and Challenger and then built 2 GWS Planes - a Beaver and an E-Starter. The Beaver flys well outside in low winds - certainly less than 10mph - it is a slow flyer so I think you could fly it indoors. The E-Starter is a faster plane - at least as fast as the Aerobird Challenger. It would not do well indoors at all.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:11 PM
RC Sumo

hmmmmm, unless you are talking a brushless setup....the E-Starter is nowhere near as fast as an Aerobird. Just yesterday I was flying with my buddy ...I was flying much faster than his E-Starter. But he could easily turn inside of me.....had we been combatants...it would have resembled a Zero taking on a Corsair..... brute speed versus manueverability. If you haven't decided yet, perhaps you should check out the TigerMoth 400. It is much faster than the smaller TigerMoth. Greg Covey did a Review of the new Tiger and has a great video to watch....looks like tons of fun. I also have been looking to step up to 4 Channel E-Starter, Dandy Sport or the Tiger 400.....
Old 05-24-2004, 08:51 PM
WolfeWind

Heya Sumo,

I was alternating between the Challenger and the E-Starter tonight and you are right, the Challenger is definitly faster, but I don't think they are worlds apart.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:03 AM
RC Sumo

that's true.......I guess I was taking into account I was coming from altitude @ my buddy!!!! LOL....big orange eagle swooping out of the sky. But just about any plane can dive with speed....right? The Aerobird just seems to carry that speed a little better than an E-Starter. No matter.....they are both fun!