Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Difference in Short Crystals and Regular Crystals

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Difference in Short Crystals and Regular Crystals

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 03:12 PM
david6734

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference in Short Crystals and Regular Crystals

I just bought a Headwinds park flyer and when I ordered it the crystal was back ordered. This is the crystal I ordered ... [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXBFL244]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXBFL244[/link] .... I wanted to see if I could order this crystal somewhere else but I don't understand what crystal I could use and not mess up the reciever. It says it needs a "short" crystal but I can't seem to find anyone who sells that kind. Needless to say I'm new at this so anyone who can point me in any direction would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:01 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Difference in Short Crystals and Regular Crystals

Stock status at Tower Hobbies is a good indication of the stock status of Great Planes, the distributor of Futaba equipment in the USA. If Tower is out, Great Planes is out, so pretty much every hobby shop in the USA is out too.

It appears that this "short" crystal is meant for a single-conversion receiver. A "regular" crystal won't work, since it's meant for a dual-conversion receiver.

Conversion simply refers to the number of times the signal is filtered before the receiver attempts to interpret it. Single filters once, and dual filters twice. That's not saying that one is better than the other, because a well-designed single conversion will outperform a typical dual-conversion. Many full size JR receivers are single conversion, in fact, where Futaba and Hitec use dual-conversion. Conversion only applies to the receiver; there is no such thing as a single conversion or dual conversion transmitter.