Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Superstar EP motor connectors

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Superstar EP motor connectors

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 10:22 PM
hokie77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superstar EP motor connectors

I'm putting together my first electric RC plane, a Hobbico Superstar EP ARF. I've reached the point of connecting the ESC to the motor with the installed bullet-type connectors and I can't get them connected. I feel like I'm applying way more force than it should take to get the cables connected, so I was wondering if this is common for this type of connector. Is it normal to have to use tools to enlarge the female connector or use some sort of grease before connecting the wires? I guess I mistakenly thought purchasing an ARF plane would mean those connectors would just snap together with only moderate force applied. I certainly don't want to damage anything trying to get the bullet connectors to fit. Any suggestions? I would prefer not to have to learn to solder at this point with my first plane. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:28 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Superstar EP motor connectors

Evidently, you're not using enough force. It's tough to describe how much force is necessary, because everybody's different. What you think is excessive force might be considered "noodle arming" it by someone else.

One thing you do NOT want is to have these connectors come loose in flight. If they just fell together, they'd fall apart. The male connector is tapered, and the female connector is split down one side. Just push them together.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:36 AM
hokie77

Matt,
I noticed the shrink wrap is very tight around the female connector. Should I use a hobby knife and make a small cut in the shrink tube at the female connector split? I'm not sure if cutting the shrink would make it split completely down the entire length, but maybe it would allow the connector to flex enough to fit.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:18 PM
Erikelectric

Dont cut it! I have the superstar ep (Love it!) It did feel like the connectors were too small, but once you get them in, they stay! I used 2 pliers to get enough force without my fingers sliping on the plastic.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:02 PM
hokie77

Erik,
Thanks for the advice. I'll try using the pliers tomorrow and see if I can get this plane together.

Since you've owned the Superstar EP, let me ask you another question or two about the assembly. Did you use velcro on the battery to keep it from sliding in the compartment? The add-on sheet in the instructions says they've changed the battery position from the past and you only use one velcro strap now. There are wooden stops to prevent the battery from moving much at all lengthwise in the compartment, but it seems the battery can still tend to slide sideways pivoting under the single strap.

Also, how and where did you fasten the ESC? Did you place it under the battery strap or fasten it with tape or velcro to the side of the compartment? I was planning to strap it down to the compartment floor with a separate lengthwise velcro strap, but the ESC wires will be bent at too severe an angle (appears I'd have to really cram the ESC down into the compartment to strap it down that way...... afraid I'd end up breaking a solder connection loose).

I would welcome any other lessons you've learned regarding the Superstar EP, both in assembly and flight. Thanks again.