Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Slow Stick HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 09:01 AM
Ashok_2429

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow Stick HELP

Sorry guys just a few more questions. Which of these is the best value for money. I do not want to change anything just an opinion based on price and kit inclusion.

What i would like to change is the battery, bearing in mind i want to keep the charger but am willing to change the ICS to accomodate a better battery.

Package 1 from Galaxy Models for £134.99

GWS ICS-100 Speed Controller.
2 x Supertec Naro Servos.
7.2v 400 mah nicad pack.
GWS MC2002 Microprocessor Quick Charger.
GWS 4 channel Transmitter.
GWS 4 channel Naro Receiver.
Pair of Xtals.

Package 2 from The Sussex Model Centre for only £112.50

Includes Slow Stick,
ICS-100 Speed Controller,
7.2v 6 x N-270 nicad,
4 ch transmitter and crystals,
4ch 35mhz FM Naro Rx,
2 x Naro servos,
MC2002 charger.

Please could someone advise me on which one to change and what battery i should upgrade to so that i can get the longest possible flight time with as many stock parts as possible.

p.s I want to buy from one of these 2 shops as they are in the UK and postage can be a lot from the US. If you have any other UK sources please recomend them.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:56 AM
RandyT

Default RE: Slow Stick HELP

I just built one, and haven't flown it or should I say crashed it, hopefully this weekend, but the battery that I kept reading is a 7 cell KAN 2/3A 1050 mah battery which I purchased. The batteries you have listed are 6 cells and very low Mah's, I know that NiCd's can put out more punch, but it doesn't seem like those batteries will give you much time. They also talk about 8 cells, but you motor won't last too long. GP also came out with a 1100 mah NiMh 2/3A. Good luck.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:06 PM
Ashok_2429

so should i upgrade the ESC to the ICS 300 and then buy the bettery you mentioned. Im sorry but i just dont underdsatnd i am new to this.

ARe the two packages the same, so i should you with the cheaper one and buy a new battery.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:49 PM
RandyT

I don't really know much about GWS stuff, since I purchased everything separately. But from reading the list you have there, it looks like the same packages, but one is alot cheaper almost by 41 USD. You might want to call the cheaper place and ask them if it's the same, they'll have no problem telling you. You might be able to part out the package and upgrade the battery and esc, the price may come close to the more expensive package. Good luck.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:52 PM
Ashok_2429

cheers thats what i planned on doing, could you recomend some upgrades which would bring the price close to the more expensive one. Bare in mind it will only cost £2 to upgrade the ICS 100 to an ICS 300. What battery should i get for the extra £20 punds.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:20 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

If you can't get TWO batteries for the extra 20 quid, I'd be surprised.

One rule of thumb here is that the more mAh the battery has, the longer the flight will be.
Another rule of thumb here is that the more Volts (cells), the more Amps. In this case, you would be best served by the ICS300 to handle the Amps from a 7-cell (8.4V) or 8-cell (9.6V) battery.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:37 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only difference I see between the packages are the size of the batteries.

I don't know how much things cost in the UK, but 20 pounds here would get you about two 7 cell 640 mah nimh packs. This gets you about 8 -10 minutes a pack. Or, for a bit more, two 8.4V 1050 mah nimh packs.

I wish I could tell you how a Slow Stick flys on 7.2 Volt nimh's. I do like the way the 8.4 (7 cells x 1.2 volts per cell) flys. I can take off on cut grass and full throttle gets me out of the way of the ground when I need it.

As Randy mentions, as as I've read before, nicads seem more willing to give up their electrons than nimh batteries, so you should get more power from a 7.2V nicad battery than a 7.2V nimh battery. How much more, no one has ever discussed.

Unless shipping charges are steep, you could always order the package, see how you like the way the plane flys with the batteries you get, and order some more based on that. If you want to make an accurate assessment, just add the extra weight (the pack you'd get - the pack you have) to the SS and see how it flys. If you like the way it handles on 6 cells, you're good to go, otherwise you know you'll need 7.

And as it has been explained to me, adding one cell to a battery pack increased power quite a bit--if I recall correctly, it was up close to 30%.

For example, according to the GWS charts, with the 300 motor and the 1180 prop you will likely get with the Slow stick, the 7.2 V battery will generate 44 watts while the 8.4 V battery will generate 67 watts. Significantly more power for only 1.2 V increase.

What might be helpful too, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, is to know that you will get longer run times with a 6 Cell 1000 mah battery than a 7 Cell mah battery. I would think it is because the amount of extra power you get is larger than the increase in the size of the battery.

Let us know what you decide!
Old 06-24-2004, 04:08 PM
Ashok_2429

cheers guys, i think i will go with the original package, the problem is i have a holiday home in france and that was when i was planning on building and flying it. the problem is i dont know where to source batteries there if i fancied a change.

Ill sort it out, if needs be ill fly it here and find a site then if i need batteries ill buy them then take the whole thing to france.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:34 PM
Ashok_2429

is there any limit on the number of Mah i can have cos ive seen a 7.2v battery which has 1900mah and is 6cell for £9.95

[link]http://www.eurobatteries.com/sitepages/rc-batteries.asp[/link]

check out this link and advise me on wether it would be ok to use the battery mentioned above.

Thanks for all your help
Ash
Old 06-24-2004, 10:10 PM
RandyT

Those batteries are Sub C size batteries used for running R/C Cars and boats, they are too big and probably put out to much amps for the motor. The size your looking for is 2/3A or I think people run AA or AAA batteries. Good luck.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:36 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think batteries just 'put out amps.' You plug something into the battery and whatever you plug in takes out of it what it needs or what it can.

So the problem is not whether you can have too much capacity in the battery. The question is whether the battery is too heavy for the plane.

At one point you'll be using up the extra capacity just to carry the extra weight around. Go heavier yet and you will not even fly well.

At what point that occurs, I don't know. If you can't find out here or at rcgroups.com, you can find out once you get your stick, as I've outlined before. Or, just mortgage that house in France and get one of each kind of battery and see what you like best!
Old 06-25-2004, 01:53 AM
Ashok_2429

lol cheers for the reply