Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Thinking of flying electric

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Thinking of flying electric

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 11:07 AM
Righty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of flying electric

Hi,

I have been flying glow planes since the beginning of this yearand have been solo for about 3 months now. Although I enjoy glow planes alot I've started to take an intrest in electric. I just have a few questions about electric.

1) I was thinking of getting an RTF combo like the "firebird II" or the "Firebird Commander". are these good beginner electric planes?

2) does one need an instructor to fly electric planes. Or is it sort of a trial and error thing?

3) Can you fly electric planes in a park, or an open field, or are they restricted to certain feilds?

4) What tips do you have for a glow pilot who wants to switch to electric?

Thanks for your time!
Old 07-04-2004, 05:38 PM
Morb

Default RE: Thinking of flying electric

Hey Righty,

Well to start answering your question:

1) If you already have been flying Slimers than I believe the Firebird type planes will be below you. A lot of guys like flying them, but if you've already flown a balsa/ply plane, you will notice an EXTREME difference in flying styles of the planes. The Firebirds only use throttle managment to gain and loose altitude. You may be interested in something more like a Slowstick, Tigermoth, or any other great parkflyer trainers. [link=http://smoothair.ca/besttrainers/besttrainers.htm]Trainer List[/link]

2) You don't need an instructor for parkflyers, but if you've already gotten stick time, you'll be just fine. Electrics at a non-club sanctioned field (hence a park ) don't require minimum flying times, instructors, or someone breathing over your shoulder. Just make sure that you take your time, and make sure no one is around you. Also, for the first few flights DO NOT fly in the wind.

3)You'll have to check your local park ordinances, but in Winnipeg, I'm sure you won't have a problem flying at your local school ground or park.

4)Put the paper towel away, hold your breath, and fly brushless.

Geof.
www.smoothair.ca
Old 07-04-2004, 08:11 PM
Righty

Thanks Geof!

A couple more questions.

1) What type of wind is suitable for flying (give me a maximum km/h)

2) I'm guessing i cannot use my Jr quattro Tx for electric planes?

3) Could you give me a rough estimate of the cost to get started in electric?

4) Since these planes are fairly light, what type of damge are you looking at when you crash, are these planes easily repairable?

Thanks again Geof!
Old 07-04-2004, 09:05 PM
Morb

Most parkflyers are built light, but there are some (like the flying wing and others) that will handle winds.

Until you get comfortable with flying, I would suggest NO wind conditions.

I have flown in 5 km/h (10mph) winds with my Slowstick, which makes things very interesting, the most I've ever done measured is probably 7 km/h (roughly 14 miles p hr)
on my Dandy Sport. My Whizz I've done incredible amounts...

I would not suggest a flying wing as your first plane though.

Your Quatro will be just fine, you DON'T need to jump into computer radios immediatly, even though eventually you'll want to.

http://www.smoothair.ca/Transmittertypes.htm#JR Quattro (Lite) FM

Cost..ok..

Just remember, if you spend the money on GOOD equipment now, it'll save you money in the long run with realiable service. Also, there is no reason to swap equipment around...that's what most do.

All depends what you want..you've got the Transmitter, that's nailed..

Say..let's look at a Slowstick

35 US for the plane
GWS type RX 35 US..even though, I would put out the money now and get a Berg... 75 US

Bluebird or Waypoint Servos. 15.00 US each. plus or minus They are 6 grams, compared to the Pico BB at 5.5g, but they do the job. They are good servos, I use them in combination with my GWS Pico and Hitec HS-55's

The Slowstick comes with motor, no worry there.

ESC for brushed motors...You'll find deals for them anywhere, and if you buy used, you can save quite a bit of money. Average cost for a 25 AMP (overkill, but what if you upgrade) roughly 20 US.

So, 120 US to get going....same price as most RTF, and you can switch equipment when you get other planes, and your skill improve.

Now, I don't agree on a plane that people have called indestructible, because their is no such thing. You should always fly to fly, not fly to crash. Remember, the reason we fly is to fly the planes, not have the planes fly us.

All beginner planes will take abuse, but epoxy, CA and Packing tape go a long way.

Geof.
www.smoothair.ca
Old 07-04-2004, 09:17 PM
Righty

Thanks again Geof!

Even though i don't really understand electric motors (have to do some researching i guess) I really appreciate your time!
Old 07-04-2004, 10:06 PM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Morb

Until you get comfortable with flying, I would suggest NO wind conditions.

I have flown in 5 km/h (10mph) winds with my Slowstick, which makes things very interesting, the most I've ever done measured is probably 7 km/h (roughly 14 miles p hr)

I hate to be officous, but you really need help with your km/hr to mph conversions.

1 mph = 1.6 km/hr.

So, 5 km/hr is roughly 3 mph, not 10 mph. [&:]

Wind depends on the type of electric that one is flying. I have a Super Flea twin and a SuperFly twin, both foam delta wings, that have no problem with 10 mph ( 16 km/hr ) winds. In fact, they kind of like hovering like kites up there.

Rigthy, if you've been soloing IC's you should have no problem transitioning to electric. It's just different equipment from receiver to motor, everything else is the same, except maybe smaller. And yes, you can use your Quattro transmitter. Most electrics will run on 72 MHz frequency, so no problem there.

I agree that the Firebird type stuff will be too simple for a flyer who has been on his own with IC's already. Take a look at Mountain Models or Stevens Aero balsa and cover builds. You should find a good step-up there. GWS may have some good offerings, too.

Maybe best for right now is the SmoothE from Mountain Models. It's a good sport airplane with a foam wing that can take some less than perfect ground encounters. Fun video here:

http://www.mountainmodels.com

Click on "airplanes" and then on "SmoothE."

Cheers!!!

BobbyG
Old 07-04-2004, 10:53 PM
Righty

Thanks BobbyGee!

The SmoothE is just the type of plane I think i'm looking for. Obviously from the video it can take the less then perfect landings and the occasional telephone pole mid air. LOL. I want to get into electric cause to pack up my glow plane and all my stuff. take a 15 minute ride down to the field set up all my stuff, etc, etc , etc. (you get my point) since I'm just 16 with money to burn and need a ride to get to the field, I want something like the SmoothE so i can walk the 200 meters and go fly and not worry about on lookers. The SmoothE looks like a real fun plane. Where i live I would say it's windy about 5 days out of the week and you get those two nice days but when it's windy you get those gaps when the wind is just right so i could walk to the feild near my house and let er rip instead of my whole glow routine. I'm not saying i don't love my glow planes but you need to have variety.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:59 PM
BobbyGee
My Feedback: (3)

I hear you Righty!

I got started with electric because there's a big field behind my house which is just right for it. I can walk down in a couple of minutes and be flying. No mess to clean up afterward, either.

As for onlookers, be prudent. I don't mind havig an extra person or two stand next to me. If worse comes to worse I can get myself between them and the plane. If there are too many people around I wait for another day. I'd hate for a close call or worse to have authorities say that little planes are a hazard.

By the way, from what I've read, the SmoothE can handle a bit of a breeze, too. If money isn't holding you back, take the plunge into electrics. They're a blast!

Cheers!!!

BobbyG
Old 07-05-2004, 02:10 AM
Morb

ORIGINAL: BobbyGee

I hate to be officous, but you really need help with your km/hr to mph conversions.

1 mph = 1.6 km/hr.

So, 5 km/hr is roughly 3 mph, not 10 mph. [&:]
Hey, nothing officious about that at all Bobby, and thanks for the correction. I was trying to picture my speedometer in my head when I was doing the calculations.

Irregardless, I do take my wind meter flying with me on breezy days in order to judge the speeds, and of coure default to Kms.
Old 07-05-2004, 10:40 AM
Righty

ORIGINAL: BobbyGee

I hear you Righty!

I got started with electric because there's a big field behind my house which is just right for it. I can walk down in a couple of minutes and be flying. No mess to clean up afterward, either.

As for onlookers, be prudent. I don't mind havig an extra person or two stand next to me. If worse comes to worse I can get myself between them and the plane. If there are too many people around I wait for another day. I'd hate for a close call or worse to have authorities say that little planes are a hazard.

By the way, from what I've read, the SmoothE can handle a bit of a breeze, too. If money isn't holding you back, take the plunge into electrics. They're a blast!

Cheers!!!

BobbyG

Yeah I think I might get the SmoothE. Since i have started Glow planes my dad has gotten on the simulator and even flew on the buddy box a couple of times. I thinkl he wants to get into electric planes to so i think we might split the cost of the SmoothE.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:09 AM
bhpd1438

if you are still looking for advice, try a ParkZone J3 cub......I used to fly glows, and I have recently found electrics. I have a cub and I love it. I also have a firebird commander, and I have a great time with that also.....and no instructor is needed.