Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Firebird Commander-first plane

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Firebird Commander-first plane

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 06:25 PM
rc_flyer428

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firebird Commander-first plane

i am going to buy a electric plane and even though everyone on this sight says get the slowstick but i dont have that much money i am only 13. and i hear that the commander is easy to fly and i just wanted to hear some advise. thanks
Old 07-06-2004, 06:13 AM
jatoo

Default RE: Firebird Commander-first plane

One tip!
When you are workin out your costs, add some for replacement parts adn repairs. We all need them when we start up.
Have fun, you'll love it.
Alex
Old 07-06-2004, 01:29 PM
rc_flyer428

well i get 10 bucks a week and can get to the lhs pretty easily to buy parts. so that is not a problem its just it takes a while to get the money if i only get 10 a week so i am going to cut some peoples grass and do some other stuff to get some more $$$. thanks
Old 07-06-2004, 02:46 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

The Firebird Commander will make an excellent first plane. Just resist the urge to fly when it's windy, and follow the instructions that come with the set.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:15 PM
rc_flyer428

i am glad that it will because that is the plane that i really wanted to get.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:05 AM
Deereret
My Feedback: (1)

I have a new in box Firebird Commander that I would sell for $50.00 + shipping. If you are interested send me an e-mail. The cheapest I have seen on-line is $109.00. I also have a Megatech Airstrike which is listed at $179.00 at Tower. It is also new in box and I would sell it for $80.00 + shipping. Any one interesred send me an e-mail. The FB Commander has been sold.
[email protected]
Old 07-17-2004, 02:36 AM
Kastenox

my friend has had a couple of firebird camanders...they are great learner planes..that can take alot of beating..one thing to remember about them, is that if you are going twards the ground, about to crash, dont give it any throttle. the wing moves from the impact and the prop usually cuts the wing..it will keep you from buying a new wing right away...GOOD LUCK!
Old 07-18-2004, 08:18 AM
rc_flyer428

well i got the firebird commander and flew it on a calm day but when it got in the air it got cought in a wind gust and blew away.[:@][X(][]
Old 07-18-2004, 10:42 PM
Deereret
My Feedback: (1)

rc_flyer428 is your name Stephen Roberts? Never mind I looked at your profile.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:09 PM
rc_flyer428

no it is Zeke English
Old 07-21-2004, 11:41 PM
holeinground

major bummer. I lost mine as well a few weeks ago for a couple of days untill a local farmer found it. I now put my name and phone number on the plane so that it can be returned more easily.

hole
Old 07-23-2004, 01:38 PM
rc_flyer428

good idea i got permission from all of the local farmers and rode around their property in search for it but with no luck i think it is in a tree somewhere i om going to look again in the fall. i know the rain will probable have ruined it but i would like to find it and try to fix it back up because it was my first plane.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:59 PM
BlizzardCPP

Hey Deereret, do you still have that Megatech Airstrike. If you do I may be willing to buy it, but I have a few questions I'd like to ask you first. I sent you an E-mail but I thought I might leave a message for you here as well. Please E-mail at [email protected]

Thanks
Old 08-06-2004, 08:56 PM
lozza

The biggest risk with a Firebird Commander is losing it in wind. It flies so well there is a big temptation to take it higher and higher. Here are my thoughts on how to avoid losing it:

1. Recognise that the wind is very likely to be much stronger above tree top level, so don't be surprised by it
2. Always fly upwind of where you are standing
3. If, having ignored 2., you are in big trouble and can see it disappearing downwind at high altitude, keep your nerve. There is a technique for getting it back, provided of course the wind is not absolutely too strong. The technique is:
- turn it into the wind.
- let it GLIDE back to you. Resist the temptation to apply power. That will just make it climb to where the wind is stronger.
- apply power ONLY in short bursts if necessary to help keep it turned into the wind

You will find that it will penetrate the wind much better under glide than under power. Your biggest problem will be accepting that that is the case and keeping your thumb off the throttle.

Always clearly label your plane with your contact details before you fly anyway!

IMHO 3 channel planes are actually better than 2 channel for beginners, exactly because of the problem with wind. At least with a 3 channel you can bring it back to you under power and down elevator.

No, I've never lost a plane to wind but I've come close, so I can understand the panic that you feel as you see it disappearing, still flying beautifully.