Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

GWS Slowstick help..

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 12:36 AM
ICE_MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS Slowstick help..

My dad and I have been flying his GWS slowstick since Fathers Day and It has worked fine until here recently.. Now the motor will very randomly cut out even If the batteries aren't anywhere near dead...Even if they just got off the charger! I know it's not the batteries because I have cycled them several times off the plane and more times than I care to count on the plane. He's getting perty good with the Stick And I taught him to loop it (1 so far) and I've worked with him on low and slow fly by's and he hits the drive way or road every landing often with 1 or no bounces.(I outfitted it with foam tires). So It will become a lazy sunday flyer for him soon and i want to get him another plane.. Low wing faster.. But I can't figure out how to get rid of this problem where the motor randomly shuts off.. Now somtimes it will come back to life sometimes not.. Can someone please help?!
Old 07-29-2004, 07:00 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: GWS Slowstick help..

The important thing is HOW it comes back to life. If you're pulling the throttle back to idle, then pushing it ahead again to get the motor to run, it's the battery.

Just because the charger says the battery is done does not mean that the battery is actually charged. If the battery's been taking 45 minutes to charge right along, then suddenly only takes 5 minutes, it's not charged.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:45 AM
ICE_MAN

It's been taking a steady 10 minutes to charge the batteries every time. Sometimes the motor won't cut out at all... Sometimes It will cut out several times but if we're High enough we can get it back on and havea whole flight with out any more problems... It doesn't make sence to me.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:59 AM
Foamaholic
My Feedback: (1)

Could be the speed control is overheating and shutting off the motor.
Does it get hot? Does it have enough air flowing by it?
Something might be causing the amp draw to be higher than it used to be.
Could be the motor is going bad and drawing more amps.
Are you using the original prop? Could try a smaller prop.
If it's a geared motor is anything binding?
It could cut off if the battery voltage gets to low, so it could be the battery.
It also cuts off if the speed control overheats.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:38 PM
pacoson71
My Feedback: (1)

Start with a cheap part, sounds like alot of time on the motor.

Get a new can for the gearbox. Try the new 350 or so.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:17 PM
SaMx

i think it still might be the battery. if its a nicad then they need to be discharged, or they devlope memory or somethink(im not to sure). the point is that the battery will die really fast. try reading up on battery care, there are tons of sites on it.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:40 AM
U2Steve

Ten minutes isn't long enough to charge ANY battery, unless you're charging it at a high enough rate that you'll cook it. What battery are you using (what size cell/how many), what charger are you using, and what charge rate is it set at?

Steve
Old 08-27-2004, 10:52 AM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good point about the charge time. Also, you might want to check the reciever placement, antenna routing, and that the crystal is firmly seated in the Rx--put a piece of tape over it. Try to keep the reciever away from the esc, and the antenna away from pushrods--see if that helps. Sometimes worn brushes or other motor problems create 'noise' that translates to radio interference. Are the rudder or elevator twitching or not responding when the motor quits?
Old 08-27-2004, 08:03 PM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd say it's the battery, if it's been charged in 10 min more than a few times Its probably dead.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:52 PM
jameschen0702

Change the speed control and it'll most likely work..same problem happened to my Formosa..but now it flies...GReaT!