Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

radio shack plane?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 12:23 PM
Urbanking
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio shack plane?

Hey everyone... I found this at radio shack and wanted to now what u all thoough:

http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Prod...roduct=6018411

I think this is a great way to get into the hobby or help someone out. Can you think of any flaws that a cheaper airplane might have? Nothing that cant be fixed right? I say if it flys, then it cant be THAT bad. The price is right too at $100 CND. What do you think?
Old 08-26-2004, 02:30 PM
mhs2008

Default RE: radio shack plane?

ORIGINAL: Urbanking

I say if it flys, then it cant be THAT bad.
I wish that was the truth but...

Problem 1: It is controlled by a single channel. How do you turn and go up at the same time???

Problem 2: Cox is not the best brand of airplanes you can buy cheaply. You can get a 2-Channel firebird outlaw for $50 USD
Old 08-26-2004, 04:31 PM
homer23

it looks cheap
Old 08-26-2004, 07:06 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a few bucks more, have a look at the Lazy Bee, at Hobby People (http://www.hobbypeople.net/home.asp)

They have it on sale for $120 at the moment, complete with a 3 channel radio, cobalt 400 motor, speed control, servos, and the complete ARF plane. All it needs is a good battery (probably another $30 or so) and it flies great. I put the cheapest battery on sale in mine, and get a short flight. It's a riot, and has throttle, elevator and rudder control.

Just my 2 cents worth,
Dave Olson
Old 08-26-2004, 07:07 PM
Urbanking

it looks cheap because it is..

Anybody have experience with the firebird? I wouldnt mind getting a cheap electric to take on holidays, and help get people into the hobby or sumfin, as i fly nitro and my formosa is abit too big and fast. A small no hassle plane would be kool.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:21 PM
NotAnAceYet
My Feedback: (9)

I bought a COX plane - a different model. It was a 2 channel, throttle and rudder, twin engine. I could hardly keep it in the air - always wanted to turn right - the vert stab was warped. There was no trim adjustment on the transmitter - I finally threw it in the trash. I think you could do much better for the money!

IMO
Old 08-27-2004, 07:07 AM
mhs2008

I have had experience with the firebird xl.(I think that they have replaced it with the firebird commander.) It has 2 channel control so it leaves something to be desired. To pull out of a dive you have to add more throttle. More throttle= more speed. So the ground will come up quicker[X(]. That to a beginner could be disastrous. Now to the other side of the argument. I think if there are only two channels the pilot will be less likely to panic.

Just my 2 cents
Old 08-27-2004, 09:12 AM
Urbanking

deffinately... I would really rather something with 4 channels, but i may have to wait for a good 4 channel parkflyer to come around. I guess i will stick with the formosa for now.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:34 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody have experience with the firebird?
I actually bought one, about the time they came out (2 years ago?) The first time I flew it, I thought it was a riot, couldn't control it, but it would climb! Flew back over the shelter, people were catcalling and hooting, and I finally got it out front and flew it around a bit. As I recall, if you let it gather speed, you couldn't overcontrol it.

I still have it, I don't know why. I think it's got about a dozen flights on it, and every time I had to charge the battery for 3 hours. Tried to sell it for $50 a couple times, no takers. It'll probably hang from my garage rafters until the rubber band breaks and the fuse falls to the concrete. I should pull the batteries out of the transmitter, before they leak... in fact, I think I'll go do that!

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 09-02-2004, 05:55 PM
jameschen0702

most times the cheapest aint the greatest, spend a little more and you'll get something better! I fly the sky scooter and it's great! 2 ch. and I heard the price has dropped to $60 US (unconfirmed)