Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Finally flew my slowstick!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Finally flew my slowstick!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 07:00 PM
SaMx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally flew my slowstick!!!

Well, after almost 2 months I finally got a chance to fly my slowstick for real. I started a thread before on the trials and tribulations of learning to fly by yourself when your 16 years old and having no money or drivers license(yet). It seems like every time i tried to fly there was a technical problem that needed fixing. But yesterday i finally got a chance to get in 2 good flights. !!!
I flew 2 4 minute flights on my 6 cell 600mah pack, and there was still juice left on the battery, but my gearbox broke again. I lost the nut that holds the prop on, and had to replace it with a locking nut. since then the prop has been pulling the prop shaft out of the gear. I replaced it with a regular nut, but the damage was done. I tried to glue it back in with the GWS glue, and CA glue, the CA glue holds it for about 8 minutes. (Thats why I only got 8 minutes of flight time.) Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how do I fix it? Thanks for all the help i've had.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:22 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Finally flew my slowstick!!!

SaMx,

I'm not sure what's broken. If the plastic gearbox is broken, about $3 gets you a new one. You can reuse all the good parts off your current gearbox. If you are missing the eclip from the back of the shaft, well, that's even cheaper. New prop shafts come with the nuts, washers and eclip, I believe. If you're breaking gearboxes, you're sure to need at least a couple of those.

Not sure how you were putting your propeller on. GWS provides 2 nuts and a washer for the prop end of the shaft. I put a nut on first, then the washer, then the prop, then the last nut. This way, the prop tightens the nut down when it turns. I've tried the washer in front of the prop at someone's suggestion and almost lost a prop in flight.

It's a great little plane. Mine's down for a bit while I rebuild the tail feathers.
Old 10-10-2004, 04:20 AM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

Im not shure what the problem is.

Maybe im reading this wrong but it looks like your saying the nut that holds the prop on kept falling off so you replaced it with a locking one and now your gearbox's shaft is getting pulled out of the gearbox?

I dont see how your shaft could get pulled out of the gearbox, unless either (1) the e-clip is falling off or (2) the gearbox casing is broke.

If its the e-clip you could try glueing it on, epoxy might work, if it the gearbox case youll probobly need to replace it.

Im really not shure what the problem is, my cesnsa uses a gearbox thats a GWS clone and once the shaft, 2 ball bearings, washer and e-clip are installed the only way to remove the shaft is to take off the e-clip. The shaft can neither be pulled out of the gearbox or shoved out of the gearbox due to the e-clip and the knurled part of the shaft (which the spur gear gets pushed onto). The only way to remove it is to take off the e-clip and push out the shaft from behind.

heres a picture of the gearbox assembly, maybe you can describe whats broke by looking at the picture.

Old 10-10-2004, 05:09 PM
SaMx

Time pilot: The part thats breaking is the prop shaft, it pulled out of the big plastic gear, and now the gear spins independently of the prop shaft, and vice versa. I checked with the hobby shop, they ordered a new gearbox for me. also, my motor only came with one nut to hold the prop on, and a washer on the back.
Jackjr: the nut didn't keep falling off, I lost it, the shaft is threaded to it stays on. I think our gearboxs are diffent, my prop shaft is out, and the casing is not broken, and u can't push the shaft out from the back. Also, im not sure what an e-clip is, and your picture isn't working, so i can't see your gearbox. Ill check back later.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:57 PM
jakjr

I dont know why the picture stopped working, ill try it again, if it still doesnt work right click on teh pciture and select show image. If it still doesnt work right click on it and select save target as.

The e-clip is the little retainer that holds the shaft in, its shaped like a C and clips onto the very back of the shaft (the oposite end that the prop is on)

I dont think its your shaft that messed up, its probobly just the center of the spur gear that is stripped out. The big gear is just pressed onto the shaft so it can be replaced later on if it gets messed up, the problem is with the gear being plastic and the shaft metal if you crash your plane with the motor still runing and the prop cant spin then the hole in the gear gets stripped.

By the way, our gearboxs are just about teh same except the shaft on mine isnt threaded, you have to use a seperate prop adapter. Other than that and the way they look they are like 99% the same.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:31 AM
Time Pilot

Did your hobby shop mention that you could order just a new spur gear (the black gear that the prop shaft runs through)? If they ordered you a whole new gearbox, at least you 'll have extra parts. The only ones I've needed so far are prop shafts and motors, but it's nice to have spare everythings, just in case.

Spur gears are cheap, around 3-4 dollars.

Your prop shaft should have two nuts forward of the spur gear. The prop is held between the two nuts. The washer goes between the nut in the rear (threaded all the way to the end of the threads) and the prop.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:44 AM
SaMx

Jakjr: the picture works now(both of them). I think my computer was just beeing screwy. yes now I can see the gearboxs are the same. thanks for the help, the spur gear is stipped, but i filled it with CA glue again and it held for a while.
Time Pilot: no, they didn't tell me that[:@]. the salsman was trying to get me to buy a whole new motor[:@][:@][:@], but i convinced him i just needed a gearbox, so thats what he ordered. well the jokes on him cuz now i think i fixed it, so im not gonna buy either.

as un update on my flying skills, i tried to fly for the first time in wind yesterday. Not a good idea. the wind was gusting REALLY hard, and cought me from the side, flipped the plane over, and drove it inverted into the ground. the only thing that broke was the prop, gearbox held up fine.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:51 AM
jakjr

Id go ahead and buy the gearbox from them youll have spare parts.

I dont think the slowstick is really made for windy conditions. Its so lightweight and flies slow enough that it doesnt take much wing to move it around. Id imagine it does best in under 5mph winds.

If it flips over again like you said just push all the way up on the elevator, if you get lucky itll level your plane out and it should fly inverted (will the slowstick do inverted flight?) then you can gain some altitude and pull back on the elevator, should do half an inside loop and come out flying un-inverted.

By the way, how do the GWS props hold up to crashes and/or harder landings? Ive been using APC props but after 2-3 crashes or hard belly lands theyre history, at 3 bucks each it will get expensive after a while. I see tower hobbies is going to be selling 6 packs of the GWS props pretty cheap (9 bucks for 6 10x4.7's), if they hold up well to crashes Ill have to get me some.

Ive read that the APC props are fragile but I figured it was just bull, now I see why they say that.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:43 PM
Time Pilot

With GWS 'front ends' something's gotta take the abuse when you nose in. If the prop doesn't break, then the prop shaft will bend. If that didn't bend, then the housing might crack. If that didn't crack, then maybe the aluminum fuse is more prone to bending.

My first spetacular crash with a GWS powered plane left the whole motor, prop and all, as new. The reason was because it broke away from the fuse and other parts of the plane took the impact.

My Slow Stick will barely climb at full throttle, and will not outside loop. Some will, depending on how they are set up. Mine were set as instructions, I think. It does give you some time to think, though. Full down and full rudder one way should sort of roll you out of inverted.