Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

converting an old zagi into a trainer?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

converting an old zagi into a trainer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 01:02 PM
jodeman40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default converting an old zagi into a trainer?

I started flying (or might I say Crashing) about 6 years ago, but I haven't flown anything in the last 1 1/2 years. The last plane I purchased (and destroyed) was a Zagi. About 3 months ago I had a 9 year old boy move into my house. Here's my question! Would anyone know any way to convert my Zagi parts (motor, rx, servos, ect.) into something that would be suitable for a boy to use for a trainer. It wouldn't be a problem if I had a pile of money, but this child came with nothing and I'm broke from buying clothes and ect. I thought about getting one of those big foam planes from HobbyLobbby and putting the Zagi stuff in it and adding a rudder and elevator, but the Zagi batteries are pretty heavy and I don't know if it would work. I want to use my RX and TX, because I have a "buddy box" so I can help out (or help crash) if needed. If anyone has any suggestions, please reply.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:38 PM
CRB

Default RE: converting an old zagi into a trainer?

If you get yourself a GWS Slow Stick you should be able to use some of the parts. It is an excellant trainer for both of you. It comes
with just about everything. You will need your radio gear only.
CRB
Old 10-14-2004, 09:00 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Which Zagi battery do you have? The 500mAh NiCd pack will work beautifully on the Slow Stick, but the 1700mAh NiCd pack is a little heavy.

What are these "big foam planes from hobby lobby" that you speak of? Which ones in particular?
Old 10-14-2004, 11:35 PM
ZAGI-XS-=FatalFlyer=-

You could get the Zagi-FIXX, it looks like an extrodinary trainer and can even perform at its very low speeds. Your RX, and servos will work just fine. The kit itself will come with everything else you'll need. ESC, battery, motor, etc.... And it can take many beatings, like most zagis.

www.zagi.com Check it out

-Steven
Old 10-15-2004, 05:20 PM
jodeman40

I have 2 1700's The big foamies are are like a big no control "comercial aircraft looking" hand launch plane with about a 3 ft span.
It was just an idea, I'm trying to do something that won't cost a bunch of money. The foamies that I spoke of sell for about $10 .
Old 03-13-2005, 11:48 AM
Weldman

Jodeman40

If you are looking for a cheap plane to use as a trainer, Try Michael's or Walmart and make a sloper or mount the zagi motor on balsa. Walmart sells smaller battery packs - 6 V, 7.2V and 9.6V for less than $10. I like the Flying eagle from Michael's - Straight wing with 10-15 degree Diheral. Reinforce with clear packing tape, will last awhile.

Mike