Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

GWS funny Park

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 10:41 PM
foamer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS funny Park

I have been flying an GWS pico tiger moth, wife got me a funny park for my birthday anybody had any flight time on this plane is it easy to fly, going from the pico TM to the funny park ? , build hints , good plane bad plane ?
Old 11-27-2004, 12:11 AM
Rebellion
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: GWS funny Park

I built a Funny Park for a friend earlier this year and had a chance to get a few flights on it before I turned it over to him. I also flew a TM as my second plane until I literaly wore the thing out. Compared to the TM the Funny Park is quite a bit faster and more responsive. It is NOT the slow flier ( again, as compared to the TM ) That GWS would have you believe. It also lands a bit faster. I found the ailerons to be ineffective at slow speeds so be prepared to use the rudder on takeoff and landing. It will do basic aerobatics such as loops and rolls, etc with a bit of a dive first to build up speed. I used an 8 cell 720 mah NiMh pack in my friend's. Power was adequate for the type of flying the Funny Park is intended.
As far as building tips go, the FP tends to come out tail heavy so put equipment as far forward as you can. I cut out the battery compartment area to allow the battery pack to be positioned against a small piece of balsa I glued to the front of the firewall. This will help shift the CG forward a bit. I still had to ad a bit of stick on lead to the motor mount to get the FP to balance. Do NOT try to fly the Funny Park tail heavy ! One other tip I would give you is to use a rubber band wing hold-on arrangement as opposed to the stock wing bolt set up. It's still Ok to use the front wing alignment pin, just skip the screw in back. This will save you some damage in the event of a rougher than planned landing. If you use the rubber band hold down, be sure to put a bit of fiberglass packing tape on the LE and TE of the wing where the rubber bands come in contact.
Good airplane/bad airplane? Not too bad IMHO. Just be prepared for a bit of a performance jump from what you're used to.
Hope this helps.

Dave
Old 11-27-2004, 12:28 AM
lwatson

You might want to save this as your third airplane. A much better aileron trainer would be the e-starter or the Dandy from Mountain Models. I tried one of these before I was ready, and it was to much for me. The fact that the ailerons were not effective at low speed made for a difficult transition. It becomes a two handed flyer, not a one handed flyer.

Larry
Old 11-27-2004, 01:24 AM
Rebellion

ORIGINAL: lwatson

You might want to save this as your third airplane. A much better aileron trainer would be the e-starter or the Dandy from Mountain Models. I tried one of these before I was ready, and it was to much for me. The fact that the ailerons were not effective at low speed made for a difficult transition. It becomes a two handed flyer, not a one handed flyer.

Larry
That's good advice. My friend that I built the Funny Park for was moving up from a GWS Beaver. He had the same problem as you described. I think his lasted about a week before needing repairs.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:52 PM
foamer

Thanks for the input, I will watch the CG point this will be my third plane did some parkzone firebird before the TM and I have build a couple of 3D FF based on the 3dX crash them fast they are beyond my flying skills so for now I hope the FP will teach me some skills, I know the EZ starter would have been best but my wife just went out and got it so I better learn how to fly it.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:03 PM
foamer

OH started the build

http://www.novellahub.com/modules.ph...view_photo.php