Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

bought a firebird scout, good looking plane

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

bought a firebird scout, good looking plane

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 09:24 AM
A.T.A.C.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: bought a firebird scout, good looking plane

I started with a Commander which had problems turning left after 6 months of flying and crashing. The motor would intermittently stop at certain throttle settings when making left turns. I called the Hobbyzone customer service to ask how I can fix it. I had no expectations that they would do anything for it as the plane was battered. They asked me to send it in. I packed the fuselage and the transmitter, and mailed it. A week later I had a brand new Commander at my door step! They did not even ask for a receipt as the plane was a gift. I bought an Aerobird with great comfort and peace of mind, knowing that the company stands behind it. After 10 different planes (ARF and kits) I still love flying the Aerobird. It goes to work with me in the trunk, waiting for an opportunity to scramble and fly at a short notice!
Atac
Old 02-28-2005, 05:44 PM
rcfsr

I think I have solved my "twig snap" problem of the boom separating from the pod retainer clip by using a small (1/16 inch) wide zip-tie. I drilled two small holes, one on each side of the indentations for the retainer and threaded the zip-tie through, over the boom and back out the other hole. By snugging the tie just enough, you get a very secure mechanical joint without damaging the pod. The feeder end of the zip-tie is very flexible and can be shaped somewhat like a fish hook to make the threading of the tie process pretty easy. This fix can be done easily from the outside so there is no need to enter the fuselage at all.
Remember to place your holes at the rear of the boom retainer indentation. This will make sure that you capture the boom securely. There is a cut away view of this area on the Commander page in subject 5 (minor repairs) of the following link.

http://www.hobbyzonesports.com/Disco...ArticleID=1263

Bob
Old 02-28-2005, 06:05 PM
Redwoodflyer

Thanks Bob, that sounds like a great solution.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:25 PM
Ho Malone

I will certainly keep this site for future reference. If I felt responsible for my Firebird problem, I am not at all adverse to trying home remedies. From what I saw in comparing my Scout to a brand new one at the local dealer, the entire pod on mine is warpped to beginn with. I shipped it back yesterday.
Yes, I am a cautious guy. I have already purchased a Firebird Challenger. Haven't put it together yet. I will get some experience with the Scout for some good many hours before I fly the Challenger.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:27 AM
Nomadio_Dave

Hey, that's a good pointer. My son and nephew just bought Firebirds at a hobby show... son Sean the Firebird Outlaw, Kyle the Firebird Scout. The Outlaw flew just great, out of the box. The Scout has done nothing but nose-dive. I played around with it myself, and while I'm not a plane guy, these should be pretty basic, but nothing made this plane fly. Given that HobbyZone has a decent reputation for beginner planes, I figured something must be wrong. We'll check this one out ASAP.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:05 PM
Ho Malone

I used dental floss. But it did involve removing the servo unit, which really isn't that difficult. You need a fairly large sewing needle and a pair of surgical clamps helps.
I am looking at the possibillity of replacing the entire carbon fiber tail rod sometime in the future. Mine also broke back by the tail wing section, just on the wing side of the servo line exit hole. I found a piece of plastic artist brush that was the righ size to fit tightly into the open end og the seperate broken fuselage. I had to run my antenna line directly out of the bottom of the plane body, and electrical tape it in 4 spots to the bottom of the carbon fiber tube so that it will hange just below the tail wing, ack away from the prop.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:25 PM
704hank
My Feedback: (1)

I also had the same thing with the pod on the scout!
I took a heat gun to it. That fixed it. Now it fly's Great!!!!
Old 04-20-2005, 06:04 AM
amoo3

HI i had a problem with the tail rod too. i was thinking of sending it in. what do u guys think. because if they think that it wasnt a defect its not worth $30 for a new feulsalage(<-- thats spelled wrong right?)for somthing that i can just click back into place
Old 04-21-2005, 08:08 AM
rcfsr

Amoo3: That sounds like a lot of time and trouble sending it back for a new fuselage for such a simple fix. Check post #52 for a really quick, cheap and easy fix.

My biggist problem with the Scout has been the skiddish electronics. Twice now there has been a "jitter" to the control surfaces develope in the electronics...but only for a left turn. I'm not sure if it is in the survo or the receiver.

Has anyone else had this repeated problem?? And if so where did you find/fix it?

Bob
Old 05-01-2005, 08:41 AM
JensVillebro

Hi! I just got my Firebird Scout in the mail yesterday, and today we had a test flight, which ended in a serious crash. I guess the wind was stronger than we anticipated, but anyway the scout took a dive and smashed into the ground. Wings and tail controls were unharmed, but the carbon tail boom broke!! It broke just where the control lines come out.
Does anybody have experience in fixing this problem without having to buy a new fuselage? Will my Scout ever fly again? I would be very happy if some´body could guide me. THANKS!
Old 05-01-2005, 10:38 AM
flyingace451

I have had the servo jitter problem you have had. I sent it to Hobby Zone and they were unable to fix it. I have a new plane that is coming Tuesday! I'm not sure if it is a new Scout or a Commander but whatever it is, its freeeeee!!!!!
Old 05-03-2005, 04:40 PM
Ho Malone

Here is what I know as of today: If the carbon fiber tail rod is broken in two, but still firmly attached in the fuselage, You might try patching the tw o broken pieces back together with a piecr of 1/4 inch aluminum tubing. You can find it at Hobby Lobby, or maybe some other source. It is made by K & S Engenering and comes in 2 12" legnths for about @2.00. Or maybe you might have some old windchimes around with 1/4 aluminum tubes. The will slide right over the existing carbon fiber tubes on the plane. When you are sure of their alignment, I advise a hot glue gun for the bond. Be sure to cut off a long enough patch piece to make the bond rigid.
If you have to drill a new hole for the control lines, be sure and make it large enough fot easy movement of the lines. If you drill a new hole, drill it on a slant towards the fuselage to insure it doesn't bind in the traverse up to the control arms on the tail wing. 25 lb fishilg line works fine. It is cheap, so if you replace the existing lines, cut off 2 good 3 foot pieces to allow yourself plent of slack to work with. If you do replace the existing lines, you will quickly see that is is much much easier to feed them from you newly drilled hole up to the fuselage than vise versa. I had difficulty getting the antenna line treaded back thru the tail rod hole, so I just poked a hole in the bottom of the fuselage and spot tapped it to the tail rod back to the end of the tail rod. I would advise younot alter the legnth of the antenna line, as it may affect the servo reception.
If you replace the control lines, you will need to remove the servo unit. 4 screws on the bottom of the fuselage. Pay close attentention to where everything is and how the control lines threat thru the servo base and position on the servo arms.
I tried today to replace my entire carbon fiber tube with the aluminum tubes I bouhgt from hobby lobby. The 1/4" tubes are too big to fit into the fuselage, but just the right size for the original carbon rods to slide into. The 7/32 aluminum tubes are the same diamater as the original carbon fiber rod, but not as strong, I found that out on my first experiment flight. The 7/32 aluminum tubes bend way way to easily upon impact.
I have an order on the way from MIDWESTPRODUCTS.COM. I order some carbon fiber tubes from them. About $12.00 for 24 inches of .210 outside diameter tubes. I will try them for tail rod replacements. I expect them to arrive this week. I will give you all a report when I test them out.
I have left some other post here about securing the tailrod into the fuselage pod. I few minutes with some heavy thread or dental floss and a large needle to cinch the carbon fiber rod securely into the little cradle inside the fuselage wil save you from the frustration of nosediving upon take off when that poorly spot glued manufacturing flaw pops out of place.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:52 PM
Ho Malone

I certainly believe Hobby Zone should have just the carbonfiber rod with the tailwing mount available as a replacement item. They are going to get their shipping/handling fee, which is what about 60% pure profit? I can't imagind anyone paying $32.00 for just the fuselage replacement when they can get a whole new plane for $55.00. The shipping charges will be the same. So why not get an entirely new wing, remote controle and battery?
They seem to be more geared toward the comsumer than the hobbyist.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:39 AM
JensVillebro

Thanks a lot for your very serious and thorough description! I will locate some aluminum tubing and try my luck. I'll make sure to report back to you when I have fixed it to tell if it will fly or die... :-)

J
Old 05-04-2005, 06:39 PM
Ho Malone

Good luck. I must let you know, my experiment with using all aluminum tubing for my tail rod did not work well at all. It is not as rigid as the carbon fiber. I used the 7/32" ID (inside diamater) tubing because the 1/4" ID tubing did not fit thru the fuselage opening. I did not want to screw with making it larger. The aluminum tube actually bent during flight with just the stress of the main wing's uplift. I didn't have enough of my original carbon fiber rod to use. That is why I suggest you only use enough aluminum tubing to affect the splint.
I am still waiting for my carbon fiber tubes I ordered.

It was a very calm day here so I finally took my Challenger out for a flight. It was a delight. It is big and sturdy enough to take a little wind and has a bigger moter and prop. Today was the first time I have successfully flown until the attery ran down and then brought it in for a landing. First day I really actually enjoyed flying.

You really need a very calm day to fly the Scout. I still look forward to flying it, mainly because I have already invested in several batteries, wings, and tail wings.

good luck
I apreciate sharing experience with you
Old 05-04-2005, 06:44 PM
flyingace451

The Scout needs almost no wind! It does not handle wind well at all. Believe me...I know from experience If you are flying in wind and want a 2 ch. Go with a Commander.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:20 PM
Ho Malone

You are right, Flyingace. And you do need a good bit of space. My problem with the Scout, is that I keep trying to fly it in the field across the street. It is lined with trees all around and Not wide enough. So I keep initiating a turn before I have sufficient altitude.
But, I did get my carbon fiber tubes in today and repaired little Scout. The #5724 is the largest diameter Midwestproducts.com has. 24" for $$4.59. It is .210 OD ( outside diameter ) and .132 ID ( inside diameter ) I also got a #5720, 24" for same $4.59, .125 OD by .060 ID. It fits perfectly and snuggly inside the #5724. I see some potential for this combination in the future.
I took the #5724 an cut off the same 15.5" length as the original tailrod on the Scout. I had to take my drill and ream out the V-support for the tail winf that was attached to the original rod. I then hotglued that V-suppport onto the end of my new rod. Of course I had to drill new screw holes in the tail rod for the tail wing screws. I then placed the other end back into the fuselage, tied it in securely with needle and dental floss thru holes I derilled in the botton of the plastic fuselage. I drilled a hole for the control lines to exit the new tailrod and up to the control arms on the tailwing. I still found it easier to thread the antenna wire out thru a hole in the bottom of the fuselage and spot tape it to the tail rod back past and out of the way of the prop. It is real flimsy and hard to thread thru the tailrod along with the control lines. Once I was satisfied with the alignment of my new tail rod assembly, I hot glued it back into place, hooked up some new 125lb test fishing line for control lines and took it out to fly. Zoom Zoom. Flies like a dream. And this new tailrod is sturdier than the original.
Ahhhh there's the appreciation of the hobby. Knowing you can affect repairs and get back into the air. I have had that servo unit in and out so many times now it's just second nature.
So, I strongly recomend Midwestproducts.com. for a total of $11.00 including shipping, I got my Scout back in the air. You just gotta enjoy improvising.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:36 AM
JensVillebro

COOL! I was VERY happy to read, that your repair worked when you replaced the carbon fiber rod. I've followed your example and ordered a new carbon fiber rod for my Scout. I ordered it at Midwestproducts, and it seems that they do ship outside US/Canada eventhough they claim not to on their home page.

Hopefully it will arrive safely here in Denmark in a week or so.

I have given up on trying to repair the original tail boom, since it's just too broken. It broke right where the control lines come out and one of the lines is even jammed up in a crack in the break. Too difficult and risky a repair when a new carbon fiber rod can be installed with the succes you describe! I've posted a couple of shots of the Scout on this link.

http://www.villebro.com/rc

As you might notice, I also have a Commander, but I haven't flown it yet - TOO MUCH WIND! (Shouldn't have tried to fly the Scout either!)

Anyway, thanks for your very good advice! I hope it will work as fine for me as it did for you!

Jens
Old 05-08-2005, 08:51 AM
Ho Malone

I may have exagerated a bit about my success. When you see the difference in appearance in the new and original tailrod, I think you will notice a slight difference in the weight and uniformity. In retrospect, I wish I had done a bit more preperation to the new rod before gluing into place.
1) I believe the original rod is a bit lighter, which may mean it might need to be a bit shorter than the original. Wish I still had the old triple beams from the hippy days. If you have a way to weigh the remnants of the old rod and compare to the new one, It could make a difference. Mine now seems to have a little extra weight toward the tail end and it wants to climb steeper than before. I am going to experiment with taping a penny or dime to the front bottom of the body to counter balance.
2) The original rod seems to taper a bit from diameter at the body end to the diameter at the tail assembly end. When I reamed out the old tailrod section from the tail wing V-support, It stayed intact, but when I pushed the new rod through the little tube fittings, they cracked, which caused the tail wing to be a bit out of line. It took me a number of failed launchings to get the tail flaps trimmed out to correct for the misalignment. I wish I had sanded down the tail end of the new rod a bit to make it a better fit into the V-support.
Good luck.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:00 AM
gman9170

ORIGINAL: Richard39

I was given a Scout last week and I have been flying glow fuel engines and airplanes for two years... I can not get this Scout to turn left... on hand launch it goes up and over the right wing into the ground... The controls work on the ground as per the instructions but I give it left right after launch and it goes left into the ground within 20 feet.... Please explain the v tail setup... when I give it left ... the right v tail control surface goes to the up position and the airplanes rolls over to the right.... The trim is set up level to my eye.... Wing now in two pieces after 6 hand launchs... Thanks...
Check to make sure that your tail is snapped into position on your fuselage (grab the tail boom and hold the fuselage while you push up on the boom)....My Aerobird Challenger had the same problem and this cured it. The servos are on top on each other on a verticle cirsuit board so any deflection in the tail boom will cause the control surfaces to behave differently....good luck
Old 05-13-2005, 08:02 PM
Ho Malone

Like he said
when you rest the plane on a flat surface, the tail rod should lay flat as well as the body of the plane. I suggest my remedy in earlier threads about securing the rod into position in the plane body with heavy thread or dental floss. Others in this forum have suggested a twist-tie. if you are really sure of the tail wing alignment, a combination of hot glue imediately wrapped with a single layer of brown box tape overlapping the the tail end of the plane body and the rod will firmly secure it from twisting out of alignment.
You said it was given to you. Perhaps the previous owner has tinkered with it inside, perhaps taken the servo unit out and put back in. perhaps when it was put back in the control lines got tangled or or in a bind or hooked on a snag.
I strongly suggest you don't try putting any screws into it to hold the tail rod in place. the tail rod, although sturdy, will lose integrity if you put screws in it. it is very thin walled. i know from experience. my first remedy was just that and that's why i broke my original tail rod.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:48 PM
macruadhi

Here's even more repair stuff. I nose dived mine for the umteenth time,(still learning) and distinctly saw the right stabilizer break so I say ok it's time to replace it anyway cause the "Monokote" layer on one side had deteacted from the foam causing the plane to eternaly turn left. So I get the new piece spend half a hour fuddleing with the control line then notice.....The fuse had split right around the boom about 3/4 inch from the end of the fuse. So I cut it off the ret of the way, soak the boom in hot water to soften the glue holding it in the fuse, (rubber cement?) and work the plastic off the boom. So I puzzle over my problem until my puzzler is sore, how do I afix a 3/4 piece of plastic to the rest of the fuse and get it all lined up, you know get the crack to line up where it broke. I thought about Gorilla glue, (works great on foamies), contact cement, (works great on sheets of paper, leather, and wood) , then it hit me, I needed to glue it back together and then reenforce the area. So what can I use, I thought about that "Plastic Steel" stuff in the little tube, but I would have to knead it and even then it wouldn't fill the crack. So I then I went down to the wally world and got a .57 cent tube of super glue, just to get the pieces lined back up, and .....JB weld. I mixed the two components and "painted the fuse from the end to about 3/4 inch above the crack. now I'm waiting for the required 15 hours to pass before I replace the motor, servo, etc. As others have said, I just can't see paying 36 bucks just for a new fuse, Hobbyzone ought to sell the empty fuse.

P.S. On the higher end planes like the commander etc, to use the UP elevator, do both control surfaces deflect UP or does it also depend on the motor to gain altatude?

P.P.S Hope this helps anyone who needs it, I'll let ya'll know how it works out
Old 05-26-2005, 02:54 PM
christerflea

Could anyone here who flies a Firebird Commander please add me to their MSN (if they have it), or e-mail me, using [email protected] please,

I bought one today and would love to chat with someone who's experienced in flying one

Thanks alot, Chris
Old 05-26-2005, 06:06 PM
Ho Malone

Yeah, I have experienced the servo jitter problem now too. I think that means the servo is shot. I replaced mine with the one out of my boneyard Scout.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:10 PM
Ho Malone

Sounds like you have put som thought into the repair. That's part of the fun for me, just seeing if I can make it fly again.
I have pretty much given up on the Scout. I like flying the Challenger. It can take the wind and I can contro the pitch to nose it down when heading into the wind and it wants to climb

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.