Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

GWS motors

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 08:41 PM
jhudak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS motors

What is the difference between the GWS EPS-300 and 350 motors?
Old 12-19-2004, 11:13 PM
crashingagain

Default RE: GWS motors

Same length an diameter, but the 350 is hotter so it performs better in most aplications at the expese of drawing more amps
Old 12-23-2004, 06:32 AM
steve ypsi mi

I use the 350 instead of the 300 or 400, the weight and rpm charts are here, when the page comes it will have servo and power click on the power link
http://www.gws.com.tw/english/product/MOTOR/MOTOR.HTM
Old 12-23-2004, 09:02 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

If you're really interested in the nuts-n-bolts, the main difference between the two motors is several inches of wire.

The motor in the 350 power system has a few less turns of wire wound around each pole of the rotor. A wire's resistance is determined by its length and thickness. Since the wire in the 350 is shorter, it has less resistance. While I'm not 100% sure, I believe the lower resistance causes the electromagnetic field to come up to strength quicker, which makes the motor spin faster.

Practically speaking, the main difference between the 300 and 350 is that the 350 spins faster on a given voltage. What does that gain you? You know that if you spin a propeller faster, you get more thrust. Of course, there's no such thing as a free lunch. It takes more power to spin the propeller faster. The motor is being lugged down, so the circuits (from the windings, through the commutator, to the brushes, and on to the ESC) are staying closed longer. The longer the circuits stay closed, the closer the current can get to "dead short" current. We're talking about a blink of an eye vs. 1.1 blinks here, but the difference in current is signifigant because the flow of electricity is essentially instantaneous.

Hopefully that wasn't too confusing. I understand the concepts, but they're just moving pictures in my head. I am working on putting the pictures into words
Old 12-23-2004, 10:48 AM
jhudak

Thanks for your help on the motors. Now I have another question. I just bought an E-Flight Mini Funtana 3D,they recommend a park 400 motor. I have a park 370 4100KV motor and a 1900mAh 3cell Li-Po.Does anyone know if this will fly it? I realize it probably won't perform 3-D maneuvers with this set up, but I plan on getting a 400 later.Will the battery I have be run the 400 ?
Old 12-25-2004, 01:31 PM
Cliffw

That motor will fly the new Mini Funtana just fine. Run 3 cells. TP 1320's with the yellow stripe work real well in this plane.