Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

another e-starter question

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

another e-starter question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 07:57 AM
DARKFLY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another e-starter question

ok i am looking at getting some more battery packs. what i have now is a 8.4v 1100mah bat at about 5.4 oz. so my wing loding is around 9 oz. sq foot. that other two packs i'am looking at are 9.6v 750mah with would drop my wing loading to 8 oz. sq foot or a 9.6v 1050mah which would raise my wing loading to 9.75 oz. sq foot. my question is would i get about the same flight time with the 750 with a liter wing loading or a 1050 with the heaver wing loading. i think that the lighter one would be better but i am unsure.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:48 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: another e-starter question

8-10oz per square foot is extremely light. I don't think you'll notice a difference in the way the plane flies anywhere in that range, though you may notice it flies BETTER with a little more weight. That is, it won't be pushed around so easily by light breezes and such.

You've also got some apples-to-oranges comparisons going on here. Comparing an 8.4V battery to a 9.6V battery is like comparing a Chevy 305 to a 454. There's no substitute for cubic inches? There's no substitute for Volts! Between the higher voltage and the more robust 1050 cells, your plane will probably have twice as much power as it would with the wimpy 750 cells. That means lower throttle levels and longer flights.

I know I tried the older 730mAh cells in my E-Starter while I had it. They worked fine, but they were straining a bit. 750s are the next generation, so they might be a little better, but still nothing like the 1050s.

If you want light weight with the same punch, look at the 650mAh NiMH cells like the KAN650 or CBP650. Short, fat cells fly better
Old 01-06-2005, 09:51 AM
DARKFLY

i wasen't comparing the 8.4 to the 9.6 i want to go to a 9.6v i was courios about the weight and mah diferance. thanks for your input thought
also would a bigger esc help with the higher volts. right now i'am running a 5 amp esc from my slow stick. iam still pritty new to the elect. stuff
Old 01-06-2005, 03:08 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

By going with a higher-voltage battery, you will increase the Amps. The 5 Amp ESC is borderline on the stock Slow Stick, so the 9.6V battery will probably push it over the edge.

Amps increase or decrease in proportion to both the load (prop/gearbox/motor) and the Volts: Keep the load the same, but increase Volts, and Amps increase. Keep the Volts the same, but increase load, and Amps increase. Increase Volts, and decrease load, and Amps stay the same.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:37 PM
flmlm

I performed the switch your speaking about with my 5amp ESC that I was using in my Slow Stick to the 9.6 750mah E-Starter which had the stock GWS 400 set up. The results were a "smoked" ESC.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:23 PM
Talley

I and a friend have been flying two E-Starters for a few months with the green 9.6v 750mah batteries from GWS. He has the 400 engine and I have the 350. We both get pretty good flight times with this battery, especially if you go to half-throttle after gaining initial altitude, and both planes fly very well.

We both use the 300 ESC from GWS, which is an 8 amp ESC I believe, and have had no problems. The batteries are cheap, and we get decent flight times and can shoot touch and goes for awhile.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:46 AM
DARKFLY

ok so i need a new esc. tally what kind of flight times where u getting. ok so if incresing my weight increses amps than wouldent a 750mah fly just as long as a 1050mah bat. from what i understand the incerase in weight would also increase the amps so it would draw more to fly the plane is this right. also is 300mah worth 2.5 oz. in weight. thanks for all your input so far.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:04 PM
Talley

We get flight times over five minutes, sometimes more if throttle is way back. You should get longer times but alot depends on how you fly it. I don't think the additional weight you are talking about is a big increase so you would probably see somewhat longer times, but I have plenty of fun with the 750mah.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:20 AM
RCDOC

If anyone is interested in a large upgrade I love the Himax 2812 0850 with 3 lipoly kokam 1500 mah and a Pheonix 25 ecs. You'll pay a little more for batteries but im getting over 20 min fly times and that is flying the first 10 mins in full throttle combat. Oh yeah and go straight up like no tommorow. Get a lot of spins in on one flight cause you can pull some serious altitude in no time. Put a 5 or 6 oz webcam on and it still climbs with attitude, more attitude than the 350 and the 8.4 volt without the cam.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53804.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	213029  
Old 01-10-2005, 07:49 AM
DARKFLY

lipoly is out of my price range. ok the reasion i'am intrested in this is because i can get 4 gws packs for the price of 2 1050 packs. the weight side of this is an old habbit for my rubber ff days.