Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Sig Kadet EP-42

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 07:01 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Kadet EP-42

Dan,

5-7 minutes really isn't bad for a stock setup. A typical training flight (on glo power) usually only lasts roughly 10 minutes anyway(sometimes more, sometimes less). A quick fix for lengthening flight times is to just get more battery packs. It only takes a few seconds to swap them out, and the landing practice will do you good.

Have one or two packs charging while you fly, and you can fly all day continuously, even on Nicd or Nimh packs. (until your transmitter battery runs out anyway)

Back when the electrics were just getting started, (no E ARFS, no BL motors, no Lipo, etc) we thought it was GREAT to get a minute or two of powered flight. Most of the rest of the flight was usually gliding, and you could always catch thermals to get a loooong flight if you had the right setup and knew what you were doing. Usually not.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:39 PM
jamessh

Hi--I just purchased the Spektrum DX6 radio, and plan to use it first with the Kadet EP; I'm wondering if the servos, which are the S75 sub-micros, will work with the Kadet, which I know recommends micros--does anyone have any experience and/or idea? Thanks--James
Old 09-13-2006, 04:59 PM
mudpuppy

Good choice James, the servos will work fine. It is the exact same setup I used.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:06 PM
jamessh

Great, thanks--I have to wait a couple weeks to get the plane, but I look forward to it.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:27 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Mine has a Mega 16/15/6 running an Aeronaut 8.5x5 white prop - direct drive. I used the Maxx products motor clamshell for this motor and it drop right in. On a 2100 TP I have gotten 25 minute flights using about 1800 maH, with a good mix of flying. I think if I was careful and pushed the battery longer I could get around 35 -40 minute flights.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:55 AM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Well shoot. I had mine out at a fly-in in San Antonio, and somehow managed to stall it on the landing approach (had lost power after nice longish flight). [&o]

Damage isn't too bad, but I'll have to repair a few wing ribs, fix the firewall and forward fuselage, and re-do the cowl and canopy. All the electronics are ok.
What a shame just after a nice new covering job - before I had a chance to show it off. [&o]
Old 12-29-2006, 11:53 PM
jamessh

My beautiful new blue Kadet ep had an unexpected collision with a goal post upright. So sad. I was really getting good at it, too--only my second plane. I think it's repairable--the fuselage is intact (hard to believe), but the wing is in two pieces--it hit the left wing about a third of the way from the fuselage. It looks like two ribs are missing, or smashed. I've never repaired a balsa wing before--is it difficult? If you have any tips, cwrr5, I'd be grateful!
Old 07-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Aten W Arthog

A work buddy gave me one of theseSIG ep ARF's plus a DX6 radio to try and get assembled, it had come to him used by someone who didn't finish assembling it quite right. so it has been kind of a strain to correct some things. My main issue today is, I can't seem to fit a standard RC car type nicad pack into this plane, is there a specific pack type in terms of cells and their arrangement to fit this plane?
, that is more narrow? Internal flanges of bulkheads seem to prevent the 7-cell sub-c pack from fitting, no matter the orientation.

Secondly, I have been going crazy trying to set up this DX6 radio. Every time I think I've set things up correctly, the aileron/flaperons operate wrong. I set it up per instructions, zero out all mixes, but the flaperons act like flaps when i work a roll command, and just get all jammed up when I hit the flap button, like they are trying to strip their gears. I checked servo reversing and actual servo installation to see if servos were put in backwards, and now everything looks by the book, I briefly got the ailerons working correctly but in reverse orientation. Hitting aileron reverse command just makes the whole thing jam up again. Would appreciate any useful tips beyond what the instructions already say to do. Because i've done it, a hundred times now. Also, can't seem to get the model memories to really reset to factory default yet. What's the trick there?

I'm not thrilled with the build quality on these planes nor their spindly nature.Sure it's light and stiff but hardly durable in the hands of a trainee. They are going to need time-consuming repairs after even mild crash. Foamies are more practical trainers.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:31 PM
ekajoe

This thread is languishing, probably because there are not too many of these around anymore. I picked one up on ebay, and it had its maiden flight today. What a great flying little Kadet. Mine has a Park 450 outrunner, a 30 amp ESC, and 1300 mah lipo battery. Four Hitec HS65 servos.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-12-22 23.20.02.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	682.5 KB
ID:	2057370  
Old 12-24-2014, 08:20 AM
SU-31 flyer

I just flew mine just before it got cold. I was useing a NiMH 7 cell 8.4 volt but just upgraded to a 11.1 lipo. What a differance in the plane with the extra power. Any how it is a nice plane to grab and go fly. Enjoy!!
Old 12-24-2014, 11:11 AM
ekajoe

SU-31, are you using the brushed Speed 400 motor, or does your have a brushless outrunner? I'm also running 11.1 volts on my Park 450.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:55 AM
SU-31 flyer

I'm using a Scorpion S2215 1860KV brushless. My motor and esc smoked in the air ( while on the 8,4V NiMH) so i had to order the new motor. I have a 4oo brushed in a glider but not sure if that motor would handle 11.1Vs so I am useing the 8.4V NiMH in it.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:05 PM
SU-31 flyer

By the way I got my Plane used and I think the shaft was bent causing it to pull to many Amps. So I called Innov8tive Designs and they fixed me up with the brushless motor.