Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Sig Kadet EP-42

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 10:18 PM
canmann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Kadet EP-42

I'm thinking of getting an electric plane to replace my Alpha 60 which met an untimely demise.
I have had an areobird extreame for a year but but want 4 channel and more power.
Will this fit the bill or am I just waisting time and $$.
Like the trail dragger idea but want to keep landing simple.
Can this thing loop and roll and what about the wind.
Any suggestions appreciated..
Old 02-18-2005, 11:46 AM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

Default RE: Sig Kadet EP-42

I have not flown this plane, but think it should be a good one. I have extensively flown the kadets, and they fly nice. THis particular plane should have no problem with loops, rolls and handling the wind.

Find a local club and get help with learning to fly this plane.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:57 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

Check out this forum:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_23...tm.htm#2673821

It offers a free plan to a kadet with a 049 engine. I actually built this plane and flew it today. It does nice loops and flies real nice. This plane has a 40" span, so it should be very familiar. If you get the electric kadet, be sure to post here a flight report.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:19 AM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

I Just ordered one myself.... Should be a nice match to my KSr. Scale model of a model?

I like the sig kits(and ARFs)... they are usually well thought out, and all that I have seen have flown very nicely.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:22 PM
canmann

I'm getting a Graupner Taxi Cup II instead but would like to know what you think of the Sig after you get yours
I may still get an EP-42 in the spring.
Good luck
Old 02-22-2005, 08:36 PM
cwrr5

I'll post when I get it and get it in the air - Just too cute to resist! [8D]
Old 03-07-2005, 06:55 PM
Muffinman

I received mine this morning from Tower. It really looks good. Really easy to assemble, compared to some I've seen. I thought it was pretty expensive at $149.00, but it includes the ESC also, a 30 Amp. I'll try to put it together ASAP. then try it along with my LT-40. It requires a 1100MAH NiMH battery. I have a couple of 1320MAH 7.4V LiPos, Will they work as well?
Old 03-08-2005, 12:20 AM
norvelnut

The can motor that it comes with is pretty anemic! Save yourself grief and replace the $10 "special motor " with something either geared, or, like I did, with a direct drive brushless Mega 400 size 6 or 7 turn. You'll be much happier that way. obtw, you will want to get a bigger prop, like a 9x5!

Norvelnut (yeah, I do wet small birds too!)
Old 03-11-2005, 05:32 PM
jeffharris75

I just purchased my EP-42 Kit and will post after built and test flown. I am new to RC, been flying Challenger and AB Extreme since Christmas and have figyres out how to rol the challenger (lots of airspeed) and getthe Extreme inverted (at least on a 20 degree downline). Like you, I want to learn more and enjoy ailerons. I'll postlater. Good luck withthe build!
Old 03-19-2005, 07:24 PM
RVator
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have been looking at the EP Kadet for my kids to fly, they are 5 and 8. Both have flown my old Balsa USA stick 40 on the buddy box and have had fun. I think e power would be fun and the ability for small field flying would be great for them. I just started flying my first electric this winter, it is a Northeast Sailplanes Mamba with a MP/Jet 25/35 4:1 10x7 slo-flyer and a 3S 2100 thunderpower battery. I would like to hear some of your flight reports and how the kadet flys. I think I would use a brushless motor and lipolys in one.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:11 PM
cwrr5

Well, flew it last weekend(sorry, took so long to post- busy week). It flies pretty good with the stock motor and Lipos(1360mah, 11.1v), FMA super 30 speed control. Only thing I would(and probably will) change is to gear the motor and use a slightly larger prop. 30 amps I think is a bit much on a 400 size motor(not to mention my poor batteries! [] )

It was a fairly calm day, 5-10mph breeze, no biggie. Took off diagonally across runway(into the wind) in about 20ft, flew several circuits at about 100ft to trim(not much needed, just some rudder and a click or two of elevator). Did some rolls, loops, hammerheads, etc just for giggles and to see how the plane reacted. Landed on mains without incident, and taxied back using small bursts of power and down elevator to raise the tail for turns. This thing handles just like the Kadet Senior, just smaller! [8D]

Might be interesting to convert it to tricycle gear arrangement, then it would look identical to the senior. Anyway here's some pictures of mine, didn't get a chance to get any in-flight shots as my flight time was limited to about half battery capacity(long story).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98893.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	246256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90439.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	246257  
Old 03-19-2005, 10:15 PM
cwrr5

Here's a couple more... the other plane is an AT-6 texan I built from the Ziroli/Model Airplane News pull out plans-see the thread in the 1/2A section.

Name:	Us54648.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	246258   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42815.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	246259  
Old 03-20-2005, 03:42 PM
norvelnut

Took my Kadet out this AM (first decent day in many weeks), and all I have to say is WOW!!!!!. The replacement motor is more than enough power. Turned a so-so plane into a real performer, took off in 15 feet ground roll, climbs almost vertical!

Norvelnut
Old 03-31-2005, 03:56 PM
wa4zbp

I have been thinking about getting the Kadet ep-42, I noticed that you used a different motor in your reply. If you would, I would like to know the power system both motor and battery that you used.

Thanks

Durwood
Old 04-01-2005, 10:26 AM
kihei11
My Feedback: (13)

I sure like the looks and size of the Sig, I ended up getting a superstar ep and have repowered it
I evn took the stock motor reversed it and used a great planes gd-600 gearbox and 11x7 prop.
boy it flew better, now it's going endo power. Anyway I'd also be interested in this good looking plane and what to use to upgrade power.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:41 PM
dirkdiggler

About 5 years ago I learned to fly with a Sig LT-40. I did belong to a club and learned to fly with a buddy box. I find that I enjoyed talking to and meeting other club members but didn't enjoy flying while sharing air space with other planes so I stopped flying.

A couple months ago I ran across an article about the Kadet EP-42 and decided to purchase one. I have been flying it for 6 weeks now an feel more confident then I did 5 years ago with the LT-40. My biggest problem now is that I would like more power and extended flight times. I currently use the 7 cell 1100 mAh packs from Electrifly !QUOT!Great Planes!QUOT!. Unfortunately I am only getting about 8 minutes a flight while cruising at 3/4 power.

I sent an e-mail to Sig and got a number of responses which I will post below.

To whom it may concern,

First I would like to thank you for offering such a great plane in the Kadet EP-42. I have been out of flying for about 6 years now and just purchased the EP-42 (learned on the Kadet LT-40).

I find the convenience of electric power will keep me interested in the hobby for a long time. I have flown my EP-42 approx. 30 times now and feel that I would like to get some increased flight times and power for simple loops and rolls.

I am currently using the Great Planes 7-Cell 8.4V 2/3A 1100mAh NiMH batt. pack. I am only getting 7 or 8 minutes a flight before I have to land and change batteries.

Do you have any suggestions on increasing flight times and thrust? Could I simply start using another battery pack or will I need to upgrade the motor and ESP?

I am new to electric flight and don't want to make a mistake in choosing an upgrade package. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Allen Hague

Hi Allen,

We have been using the 8-cell 1100 mAh NiMh flat packs and it gives a little more time just do to the fact that you are getting more rpms and do not need to use full throttle all the time.

We have made two using the HiMaxx 2808-960 motor and the APC 8 x 4 E prop. This uses a different ESC ( Phoenix 25 by Castle Creations ) and 3 cell LiPo battery. The 830 mAh packs last around 12 minutes. You can get larger packs just as long as they fit in the fuselage.

To tell you the truth I like the 8 cell NiMh packs better since they do not take as long to charge as does the Lipoly battery packs. I just have 3 packs and that lets me fly while the others are being charged.
The brushless motor does require you to fabricate the existing mount to use the motor but it does have more power and is real quiet.

Regards,
Justin Van Dee
SIG mfg.

To: Sig Mail
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2005 5:51 PM
Subject: Re: Kadet EP-42

Who is the manufacturer of these flat packs you are speaking of? I would like to try this out since I would be so much cheaper.

Allen

To: Allen Hague
Sent: Friday, July 01, 2005 8:49 AM

There is many people that can make them.
We get ours from Maxx Products in Lake Zurich, Ill.

Regards,
Justin Van Dee
SIG Mfg.

To: Sig Mail
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 6:52 PM

Sorry to keep bothering you. Is this what you are talking about whe you say flat pack? (Posted Picture of batt pack) Whould it be better to use NICD or NIMH?

Thanks again,

Allen

Hi Allen,

That is what I mean by !QUOT!flat pack!QUOT!.

Use the NiMh battery instead of the NiCad in the Kadet EP 42.

Regards,
Justin Van Dee
SIG Mfg.

Does anyone have experience with these "flat packs"? I would like to keep the upgrade cost as low as possible as I can see purchasing a new "low wing" plane in the near future.

Allen

Old 07-26-2005, 09:36 AM
jespinel

Following a cwrr5 suggestion, I am posting the modified set-up of my Sig Kadet EP-42:

Brushless AXI 2820/10 Motor
Jeti Advance 40 Amp ESC
Thunder Power 3 cell LiPo, 2100 mAh

I believe the most important aspect you may be interested on is the adaptation for the AXI motor. I used a cardboard template of the side profile, corresponding to the wood part of the motor bracket that should be removed to accept the AXI. I designed a box that should be the new motor mounting, which should respect the vertical and horizontal motor thrust. I rubber cemented the box (mounting) templates to a 1/8†maple sheet (a lot stronger than balsa and a marginal weight over it) to make the two sides and the bottom. I Titebond-glued two fronts (1/8†+ 1/8â€) to make even stronger the new firewall. I cut out those pieces with my scroll saw. I opened the ventilation, motor shaft and motor mounting screws holes in my new firewall. The four box parts were epoxy-glued together and secured with small screws where I considered necessary. I cut away (ouch! it hurts!) the unnecessary part of the original wood motor brackets in the Kadet and epoxy-glued the new box-mounting securing it with screws. The plane –including the new mounting- is very strong! Of course, you could buy any of those fines mounting on sale at Tower Hobby, but I live in Caracas, Venezuela, where you can’t find that; and if you order RC items from here you could wait by weeks to get them. Fortunately I travel very often to US and I take advantage of it to buy my RC stuff.
I posted photos to better illustrate this work.
Now, imagine what: all this authority to amputate-modify the Kadet and I am scared to flight this little monster! Ha, ha, ha! This is my second plane in my resuming affection by RC air models (I quit 12 years ago by lack of time). Therefore, I will continue training with my first plane and with my real second one that I ordered yesterday (Goldberg Eagle 400 Park Flyer EP ARF 38"). After acquiring more self confidence I will fly my Kadet. Funny story!

By the way, my woodworking abilities come from my other hobby –constructing old ship wood models starting from scratch: the ship planes and the wood you buy in your favorite wood store- as my Confederacy (the first American frigate ordered by George Washington himself during the Independence War). If you can make something like that, anything else will be a piece of cake, and this little box would be a piece of cake for anybody of you, my dear fellows.

Name:	Ur52480.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	301714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84989.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	301715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24738.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	301716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58200.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	301717   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn78637.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	301718   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ev23483.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	301719  
Old 07-26-2005, 11:48 AM
cwrr5

Looks like a nice setup, Nice ship too! Are you going to re-install the cowling?
Old 07-26-2005, 01:31 PM
jespinel

Yes, the cowling fits nicely. I only leaves it out to take the photos.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:47 PM
jespinel

Cowling replaced with a 10x6 prop.

Name:	Qo41520.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	301786  
Old 09-08-2005, 01:56 AM
BIOMAN

From what I read the Kadet looks good. Where is the best place to buy it? Tower Hobbies? What parts do you recomend upgrading?
Old 09-09-2005, 06:01 PM
jespinel

Yes, I bought my Sig Kadet EP-42 at Tower Hobbies. As I previously stated, I up graded it with a Brushless AXI 2820/10 Motor (Hobby Lobby), a Jeti Advance 40 Amp ESC (Hobby Lobby) and Thunder Power 3 cell LiPo 2100 mAh. It flights great with this set up, but I believe it is overpowered. I would recommend you the experienced oppinion of "cwrr5", a member of this forum, to know his opinions about this set up or others.

Best regards
Old 09-10-2005, 03:09 AM
BIOMAN

"cwrr5" what do you think? is this the best way to go?
Old 09-10-2005, 10:50 AM
jespinel

Old 09-10-2005, 12:33 PM
cwrr5

Try it stock before you decide to upgrade. You might be happy with it as is, but try to cram as much battery(capacity) into it as possible. Lipo, and all the rest of the req. equipment (speed control, charger, etc) is probably the best way I can think of to do that.

Mine flies fine stock, but I do plan to either gear down the motor or use a brushless outrunner to reduce the current draw - and get longer flight times with the batteries I have.
You can get them through tower, or lots of other mail order outlets, direct from SIG, or your LHS( the best way ). [8D]

JSpinel, thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm not an expert by any means. Just another builder/flyer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.