Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

EasyStar ARF (not RTF) question

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

EasyStar ARF (not RTF) question

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 02:51 PM
bookstar75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EasyStar ARF (not RTF) question

HI guys,
I am seriously thinking about purchasing an ARF EasyStar. but I have some questions before I make my final decision.

1. Can I purchase any radio for it as long as it is a 3 channel or higher? I want to get a 6 channel Futaba and I am wondering if I can use that for the plane. I want an upgraded radio such as a 4 or 6 channel FM 72 MHZ so I can reuse the radio on other planes in the future. I hate to spend more then i have to on the EasyStar because it's only a beginner plane.

2. If I can use any transmitter, then how do I know what servos to purchase? Will I also need a receiver? How about an ESC unit? Plug-ins etc...?

3. Will any transmitter fly both gas and electric, or are there special transmitters for each type? I ask because I may want to get a gas plane someday.

4. What motor is recommended? are there upgrade motors? If we do get a more powerful upgrade, what type of batteries are best? Also, what are the best batteries out there and that keep the charge the longest? What chargers are recommended? Can we go cheap with this?

5. What are the best websites and the best prices to purchase everything I need to complete the EasyStar?

Thanks guys for all your help.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:20 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: EasyStar ARF (not RTF) question

As long as the radio has at least 3 channels, and is on a legal aircraft frequency, any transmitter will work fine for your Easy Star. Transmitters are universal, in that they can control any type of aircraft. I would recommend a basic computer radio like the Hitec Flash 5X for a beginner radio. It has the ability to store the settings for 5 separate models at once, so you're not constantly flipping switches and readjusting trim tabs. It's also a 5-channel, so you have the ability to add an extra function to a plane beyond standard controls.

Normally, radios come as a set, with a receiver and servos. Most of the time, it's a full-size receiver and "standard" servos, which are a little large and heavy for the Easy Star. If you go with the Flash 5X, it comes in a "glider" package with a smaller receiver and "micro" servos (Tower Hobbies item #LXRT20**) that are more appropriate in the Easy Star.

The Easy Star includes a standard "400" can motor. I would go with that, except I'd use an 8-cell battery pack like Tower's LXGBM4 for the best power. You could go with a brushless motor and LiPoly battery, but you've already stated that you don't want to spend that much money on your first plane... The 8-cell battery pack is about as "upgraded" as you can get with this plane without going to a brushless motor.

So far, I'm impressed with Tower's new Electric website: http://www.towerhobbies.com/electric/index.html. They have EVERYTHING you need to get this plane off the ground, including the plane. It's really great to see a big vendor like Tower get into it. In the past, you would've had to purchase individual bits and pieces from several different vendors, and you still can if you want specific products.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:54 AM
bookstar75

Thanks Matt! That was a great help. I will be taking your advice
Old 02-13-2005, 11:15 AM
bookstar75

Matt, I looked at the radio and it's $180. That may be a great price but if I want to save money, would I be better off buying a used radio of the same type for much cheaper, and then buying the servos and receiver seperately? What kind of servos and
receiver do you recommend if I buy them seperately? Is there anything else I would need to complete the plane besides the battery you recommended and of course a charger?

Thanks again ;-)