Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Newbie starting with GWS A10

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Newbie starting with GWS A10

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 10:41 PM
whwong

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie starting with GWS A10

Hi I want to start learning flight with the GWS A10 twin duct, will it be too tough for beginners? Or I should start with something easier first? I never fly RC planes before i did play RC cars.

Any opinions are appreciated.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:03 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie starting with GWS A10

If you want your involvement in R/C to last all of 8 seconds, that's a great plane to start with...

You need something less responsive to start off with.... When you learned to ride a bike, you started with a tricycle, then graduated to a 2-wheeler with training wheels, then the training wheels finally came off. That's how it works with R/C flying; you don't start out with the most advanced plane first.

Staying in the GWS family, start with something like a Slow Stick.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:19 AM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

GWS Slow stick, Beaver, E Starter, Funny Park, even the Pico Moth would be better started planes than the A-10. Experienced pilots have trouble with the
A-10 until they make changes.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:13 PM
whwong

Thanks guys for your advice. I went through the GWS lines and I like the BN2 which is a twin duct fan also, will it be easy enough for me? If not then how about the Cargotrans? If it's still too difficult for me then I will go for the E Starter. And also guys I need your suggestion for the TX/RX/ESC/servos/battery/charger, I will go for at least 4 channels, I prefer a longer flight time, if possible I hope I can reuse most of them if I upgrade to A-10 or an even larger duct fan aircraft. (My ultimate goal is to build one ducted fan airliner like those at edfmodel.com!!!)

Appreciate you guys help
Old 02-14-2005, 05:40 PM
simplyloge

whwong

I think the E Starter is your best starting point. The BN2 is just about as hard to fly as the A 10. I believe the GWS website even says that both are for expert level. I have the A 10.....and they are correct. Get something that is easy to fly.....and that you can learn on.....then move to the more difficult planes. Your experience will be much better that way.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:03 AM
whwong

Hey guys,
Here is my the accessories that I am going to put on my first plane:

GWS Estarter w/EDP-300H
Airtronics VG400 4-Channel FM TX
92515Z 5-Channel 72MHz Super Micro FM Receiver from Airtronics
3x Airtronics 94091Z Super Micro Lightweight Servo
GWS ICS480 ESC w/JR Plug
Great Planes Lithium-Polymer 1500mAh 7.4V 2-Cell Pack

I choose the Li battery because of its light weight, is it working well with the GWS ESC and the power system? Any comments on the other equipment?

Thanks guys.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:19 PM
plumpy

I had not flown for several years and had never flown an electric foamie. I started with the GWS Beaver. It is a stable plane and i have really beaten it up but i just use 5 minute epoxy and you are back in the sky in no time. I then thought i could handle a warbird but found out very quickly that i needed to master the Beaver before moving on to anything less stable. So do not get in a hurry to fly a warbird because i trashed a GWS corsair and an Alfa p-47 trying to move to quickly. I choose the Beaver over the e-starter because of its design. The Beaver is made a little more sturdy another words it is not as slender or thin in as many places as the e-starter. I used a combination of hitec servos gws reciever and speed control and a generic lipoly. The reason i mixed everything up was due budget issues.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:51 PM
BadSplice
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: whwong

Hey guys,
Here is my the accessories that I am going to put on my first plane:

GWS Estarter w/EDP-300H
Airtronics VG400 4-Channel FM TX
92515Z 5-Channel 72MHz Super Micro FM Receiver from Airtronics
3x Airtronics 94091Z Super Micro Lightweight Servo
GWS ICS480 ESC w/JR Plug
Great Planes Lithium-Polymer 1500mAh 7.4V 2-Cell Pack

I choose the Li battery because of its light weight, is it working well with the GWS ESC and the power system? Any comments on the other equipment?

Thanks guys.

THe only change I might make is the motor. If Im not mistakes, the EDP power systems are direct drive. YOu will be way better off with the EPS-300 or 350. With a gearbox you will be able to swing a bigger prop, for a lot more power at lower speeds. I would reccomend either the "d" or "c" gear ratio. If you havent bought your plane yet, get the one with the gearbox.