Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Single Wing To Biplane

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Single Wing To Biplane

Old 02-22-2005, 11:05 AM
electrothump

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single Wing To Biplane

Anyone have any tips on converting a single wing plane to a biplane? I'm trying to make a slow backyard flyer. Would it be better to just add size to the single wing to slow it down? Or would adding the second wing bet the better approach?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 02-22-2005, 12:24 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Single Wing To Biplane

The nice thing about our hobby is that we can afford to experiment. It's relatively inexpensive to make modifications to a plane just to try them out, and you're not risking lives (i.e. passengers) based on TLAR engineering (That Looks About Right).

It sure sounds like you've got biplane on the brain. Why not give it a try? For starters, you could simply add a second wing, identical to the first.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:05 PM
electrothump

Well, adding that second wing is exactly what I had on my mind. Do you think the adding of a second wing is the best way to supply extra lift, thus allowing me to fly slower? I've been reading some threads on some micro hacks and I'm dying to try one or two of them. I want to build a small plane that I can fly close to the ground in the back yard. Hope I'm not barking up the wrong tree. Hmmmm, up a tree, ,, don't want to go there. Ha!

Thanks,
Dave
Old 02-24-2005, 06:29 PM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

Why stop at 2? Try a triplane, there's even been a few quadraplanes.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 02-26-2005, 06:26 PM
jswjimmy

i have made a bipe slow stick. it was about 46oz, it had two gws 400 motors cc35amp esc and a cbp2500. it was very easy to fly and took for ever to slow down. i would post pictures but i cant find them, i ended up snaping the fuse on a high speed dive(well high speed for a slow stick).
Old 02-27-2005, 09:40 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Made a little Cap 10 B from pink foam, Cd Rom motor, that was a little to high a wing loading. Extended a nother piece of foam over and ahead of the canopy and added another wing the same size as the lower wing and directly overhead so as not have to change the CG. Now it flies the way it should. As Matt says, don't be afraid to experiment. That's why this hobby never gets boring. Been at it for more than 50 yrs. and not bored yet.