Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Vortex Extreme - Anybody else tried it?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Vortex Extreme - Anybody else tried it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 10:33 AM
Jerseymac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortex Extreme - Anybody else tried it?

I bought a Vortex Extreme as my first electric just before winter set in. First flight was a disaster as one of my servos was reversed on my transmitter. Messed the wing up pretty bad so I ordered the replacement kit with new wing/battery/tail.
Didn't try it again until recently. I have a Sportster EP and have a Corsair on order.
Figured I better get some flight time in and sure didn't want to take the Sportster up in this cold, icy, snowy weather.
So, on a 25 deg day with a little wind blowing I tried the Vortex again. Had taped up the wings as has been suggested for these planes.
Man was I surprised. It few great and I had a ball. Lost it in the trees twice as the place I fly is kinda small.
No damage to the wing thanks to the tape. Did lose a prop in the snow.
Has anybody else flown one of these things?
They are probably overpriced at $150, but I picked one up on Ebay for under $100 from the company that makes them. They even sent me the replacement kit free.
I see a lot of chatter about the Aerobird Extreme and others. Just was wondering if anybody else had an opinion on this plane.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:13 AM
barelias

Default RE: Vortex Extreme - Anybody else tried it?

I got one of the vortex extreme. the worst plane i ever flew.or tried to fly. at first flight it kept banking right and then crashed. then trimmed the rudder left , it kept turning right. then it was damaged. the elevator was trimmed ok.so it wasnt climming sharp for some one to stay it stalled. i still dont know why it kept banking right. i called the company but they wont exchange the wing as they did with u.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:18 AM
Jerseymac

I'm surprised you had that problem.
Since it's such a simple plane, there can't be too many things that would cause it to keep banking right.
I am not a good enough flyer to tell you what went wrong.
Also, I can see why this company and their planes arn't selling well.
Any company that has any sense would send you a replacement wing.
It must cost all of 50 cents to make.
Even if they think they don't owe you one, the crappy feedback on RCU will guarantee they don't seel many more!
I bought this plane on Ebay because I had no idea what I was doing at that time and I also buy and sell some stuff on Ebay.
I have learned a hell of a lot since Oct of last year.
I now read about experiences people have had with the plane and the customer support before I buy.
So many planes look cool and are just plain crap or their customer support sucks.
I guess I lucked out.
The Vortex is very similar to other planes that people say are fun to fly.
It's real close to the Wing Dragon that Hobby Lobby sells.
I know that I get over 10 mins on the stock battery and have slammed it strait into the ground and kept on flying.

Old 04-23-2005, 12:16 PM
barelias

ok I take back the bad things i said about the vortex extreme because i solved the problem. IT was the plastics factory fault. the top of the plane where the wing sits has one side higher than the other,which made the wing banking towards right all the time. It was so little i couldnt realize it until later i had to put some piece of tape on the other side so the wing is balanced. now the vortex flies great and glides wonderful