Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

NEW TO ELECTRIC PLANES NEED HELP

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

NEW TO ELECTRIC PLANES NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 11:52 PM
crashland 73
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW TO ELECTRIC PLANES NEED HELP

I have about 10 planes which are all nitro. I am about to get that GP U Can Do park flyer and have no idea of what to get anywhere from what type of reciever to battery so I need dumb guy basics. Thanks.

Old 03-29-2005, 11:19 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: NEW TO ELECTRIC PLANES NEED HELP

I'm not familiar with that plane, but I can help you figure it out, which is infinitely more useful than telling you what you should buy anyway...

For a Great Planes product, the description at www.towerhobbies.com will give you a good idea of what you need:

REQUIRES: Radio: 4-channel with micro receiver - FUTJ37**
Servos: 4 micro size (9g or less) - FUTM0042
6" Servo Extension: Two required - HCAM2000 (for aileron servos)
12" Servo Extension: Two required - HCAM2100 (for tail servos)
Y-Harness: Standard Y-Harness HCAM2500 (For aileron Servos)
Speed Control: 30A - GPMP2030 (you will have to install a male Dean's
battery plug onto this esc to match the battery pack - WSDM1302)
Battery: 3S 11.1V 1200-1500mAh Lithium-Polymer - GPMP0831
Charger: Designed for charging Lithium-Polymer packs - GPMM3150
Building and field equipment: Low Temp. Glue Gun and glue sticks and
other miscellaneous equipment - WOOU1445 and WOOU1446

In fact, it appears that they tell you EXACTLY what you need. If you prefer a different brand of radio, simply do a little research and find your brand's equivalent servos and receiver by comparing specifications. You've got quite a bit of "wiggle room" here; it's not an exact science. Just remember that weight is the enemy.

I'd toss the stock power system; you'll never be happy with it. This plane is roughly the same weight as the Eflite Ultimate, so you can use an Eflite Park 370-4100, 6.6:1 gear ratio, and 12x6 prop with the recommended battery. A Himaxx 2015-4166 with the same prop will also work well. You'll need a 20 Amp brushless speed control as well.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:27 AM
crashland 73

I have a JR 8103 as a radio. I would definatly rather have a brushless motor. And as allways as on my nitro planes, more is better. It is better to have a little too big of motor than to have too little. I will try to get me a JR micro reciever or Expert or something. SO... all I need is my radio and reciever and then just get the stuff from Tower?
Old 03-29-2005, 11:42 AM
Matt Kirsch

In glow, the physical size of the engine is an indication of how powerful it is, due to the fact that power is determined by displacement. A bigger cylinder makes more power and takes up more space, therefore the bigger engine is more powerful.

Not so with electrics. Here power is determined by Volts and Amps, not the size of a cylinder. When given the same battery and prop, a physically smaller motor often puts MORE power to the prop than a physically larger motor. The smaller motor is usually designed to spin at a higher RPM on a given voltage, so it will spin the prop faster.

It's not about physical size; it's about the right tool for the job. With electrics, the smaller and lighter the motor, the better off you are. While a bigger motor can do the same job as a smaller one, it's extra capacity, extra weight to carry around.

You've got the right idea for the radio equipment, though. You could also replace the Futaba servos with JRs.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:08 PM
crashland 73

I dont mind using futaba servos. I just whack off that little ear sticking out of its lead. I have quite a few futaba servos. along with jr and hitec. Ok, now lets say you were going to buy this U Can Do park flyer at Tower. What exactly would you replace and with what. And if you would go into detail when needed. thanks for the help so far.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:38 PM
Matt Kirsch

Me? I'd probably use a Hitec HFS04MG or Electron 6 receiver, HS55 or HS56 servos. Since I already have the gearbox left over from my Eflite Ultimate, I'd probably get the Park 370 4100Kv motor. I've already got an Eflite 20A brushless controller "in stock" so I'd use that, but if I had to buy, it would probably be either that or a Castle Phoenix 25. I've already got a Great Planes 1200mAh 11.1V LiPoly, so I'd also use that.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:05 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

Me? I'd probably use a Hitec HFS04MG or Electron 6 receiver, HS55 or HS56 servos. Since I already have the gearbox left over from my Eflite Ultimate, I'd probably get the Park 370 4100Kv motor. I've already got an Eflite 20A brushless controller "in stock" so I'd use that, but if I had to buy, it would probably be either that or a Castle Phoenix 25. I've already got a Great Planes 1200mAh 11.1V LiPoly, so I'd also use that.
I would agree with Matt on the receivers. Just make sure you order the positive shift versions to go with your JR radio. Or you can use JR micro receiver and Micro servos.

I don't fly brushless or lipos so I can't advise there.