Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Bought a Cub and just a-wonderin'

Old 05-07-2005, 08:41 PM
biker_ray_pa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Bought a Cub and just a-wonderin'

Well, I bought one of the ParkZone J-3 Cub RTF kits. Seems to be a pretty nice little plane. I flew pretty well with the Firebird Commander, better with the Aerobird Challenger, and I am actually doing really well with my MM Magpie. The Magpie with the sport wing is 4-channel, so I figure that I should do at least OK with the 3-channel Cub.

I did a search and read back through some of the previous threads here on this plane. It seems like most people were pretty happy with them, and I think that HZ/PZ made some "improvements" since the initial production run.

Does anyone here regularly fly one of these little bears? I don't want to bruin it (har-har).

Anyway, what is this thing going to do when I heave it into the sky, and what little quirks should I be aware of before then?

Thanks!

Ray
Old 05-08-2005, 08:33 AM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Bought a Cub and just a-wonderin'

I'm a "newbie", but have some experience with the J-3 Cub. I have three batteries, so I basically put in 3 flights each time I go out which is almost every day and more than once on weekend days.
I just about destroyed my first one and had to buy a new motor and fuselage plus several propeller shafts. So I'm familiar with the weak spots.
The weakest part is the nose. I followed someone's advice on this forum and reinforced the nose with a spray foam call "Great Stuff". The foam grows to about double its size when you spray it, so you have to be careful. Some will spill into the battery case but you can easily cut out the excess foam. This is by far the best suggestion I've come accross for improving the Cub.
The other weak spot is the rudder. I cut small strips of an old credit card and glue them on each side of the rudder just above where the pushrods connect. It can now take some cartwheels on those bum ROG's and nothing happens to it.
Someone on this forum also suggested to reinforce the front of the wing at the point where the rubber bands cut in to keep it from wrinkling on that area. A popsicle stick works fine for this.
Much has been said on the forum about adding power and speed to the Cub. The only thing I've done is replaced the propeller with a GWS 9 X 7 propeller and added larger wheels (2-inch foam). That has worked great for me, although the flight time has been reduced from about 13 minutes to about 10 minutes per flight. But, as I mentioned, I have three batteries, so that gives me 1/2 hour each time I go out, and that's plenty for me.
Hope this helps out.
Jorge

Old 05-08-2005, 10:20 PM
biker_ray_pa

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Bought a Cub and just a-wonderin'

Thanks Jorge, that's exactly the kind of info I'm working for. It's been windy weather here, so I guess I have some projects to tackle while I'm waiting for the calm. Thanks and fly safe!!!

Ray