Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

bought a firebird scout, good looking plane

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

bought a firebird scout, good looking plane

Old 12-08-2004, 05:48 PM
bobo212

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bought a firebird scout, good looking plane

hello, i am new to the hobby and i bought a firebird scout. from what i read this is the newest firebird to come out this year. I thought that this is a good beginner plane to learn how to fly on. Though my local hobby dealer employee said that i should have bought a sky scooter , though that is more expensive ($169.00), i was worried about driving it into the ground and breaking it since i am so new to it. so i spent the 55 dollars and bought the scout since replacement parts would be cheap, and it looks like any dummy can fly it. this plane looks like the previous firebirds, but this one has the ability for you not to over compensate for flying Smart trek or something like that). that feature is what i was sold on. once i get a good day with calm winds and temps above 40 (winter time here in wisconsin) i will give a report on how this bird flies. happy flying
Old 12-09-2004, 10:22 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: bought a firebird scout, good looking plane

For the most part, the Firebird series has been a boon to the hobby industry. I'll be interested to see how the Firebird Scout pans out.

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2004, 06:04 PM
bobo212

Here is the flight report for the firebird scout:
The plane flies extemly well. after some minor adjustments (following instructions in manual) the plane climbs great under full power. I did disable the smart trak system though, the plane didn't seem very resomsive in this mode, so i went right to expert mode. Th winds were 10-15 mph which is NOT reccomended by the manufactuer. I did have some trouble keeping it on path when i get a gust of wind, but i had many successful landings with this plane because it glides great, and with a just a blip of power before you land, you can land it right on target. the plane is very durable and the only damage that i inflicted on it was a small indent in the main wing when a gust of wind blew me into a tree branch. other than that, it is a great plane to fly, the battery pack is small, looks like they used 2/3rds AAA cells, 300miah but i want to see if i can find some cells that will increase to 600miah for longer filght time. I can get 8 minutes on the 300 6V cell, but i would like to increase flight time. thats all i have to report for know, i will keep you posted once i get a calm day and fly at our 5 acre park (flew it on a small field today because i was anxious to fly).
Old 01-11-2005, 04:11 PM
bobo212

well,after a month and a half of flying my scout, i went an bought a firebird commander. this plane is very nice to fly, and with the X-port, i went and bough the night flight module. this is a super bright led mdule with 4 different blinking patterns. i had a few people come in my flight field at night because they saw lights in the sky lol. so i am very pleased with the way these planes fly, very stable and easy to fly.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:02 PM
Sundog
My Feedback: (1)

Hee hee... I have a Commander and had an opportunity to fly a Scout. I thought the Scout was a shrunken version of the Commander! I thought it was great!
Old 01-18-2005, 01:01 AM
boss_blueangels

I love firebirds, very fun little planes to fly. After flying gas planes for such a long time, it really amazes me how slow they fly. I don't think even paper airplanes can fly that slow. Just so graceful, continue enjoying the plane!
Old 01-29-2005, 01:36 AM
stackbarrel

Thanks for posting your reports everyone. I have one coming along with an ABX. Gonna try learnin on the little one first. Was glad to hear this feedback as I have found little else written about the scout.

Take care all..
sb
Old 01-29-2005, 10:01 PM
rcfsr

And now a word about the seller of these great little airplanes....HobbyZone.
I received my Scout the first week of December 2004 and immediately began "flight training" at a local park. The winds at 7:00 in the morning were very quiet and the temps were 60+...just right for a light plane. After about 10 flights during the course of several weeks, the servo developed a jitter that refused to allow a left turn. I called the HobbyZone customer service rep (Chris) who instructed me to send it in and they would take a look at it. I re-packed the plane in the original cartons and UPS'd it to them. Less than 2 weeks later I received a brand new replacement plane. They had sent a new plane even though as we all know, the guarantees on these little jewels, expire when you launch it the first time (read it for yourself). At the very least I had expected to have to pay for a new fuse since the electronics are unreachable without cutting the body apart. What a pleasant surprise they gave me. My next plane will be a larger Firebird ordered from HobbyZone.....once I learn enough control to stop flying into soccer goal nets and chain link fences. Seriously though, my hats off to the good people and service at HobbyZone.

Bob
Old 01-30-2005, 12:18 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob,

Thanks for the report on Hobby Zone service.

I finally got my Scout unboxed and took some photos of various sections for my review. I hope to test fly it soon and take some video. I'll start another thread on it in this forum. Feel free to post your comments, questions, or experiences.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:43 PM
DaveG55

I would like to add my .02 on HobbyZone. I recieved a Firebird XL for Christmas. It too developed a servo problem that would not allow a left turn. Worse yet, trying to turn left, caused an immediate right hand spiral into the ground. After two flights like this there was not a lot left undamaged.
I called HobbyZone's customer service and was instructed to send in the fues and the transmitter. Exactly one week later I recieved a brand new Firebird Comander. I was stuned, I really just wanted the original plane to work properly and I get a completely new plane.
I had been looking ahead to my next plane and was considering a SloStick. Now it will be the SloVee, No question.
I could not be happier with the way that HobbyZone handled my problem.
Dave
PS. The Comander is flying very well so far.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:32 AM
tjl

My Firebird Scout arrived with a bent prop and a broken wing attachment peg. The selling dealer did not have the peg, so I called HobbyZone. New parts arrived in 3 days, no questions asked.

I have bought far more expensive toys and received far worse service.

My next plane was a Slo-V. The service sold me

tjl
Old 02-02-2005, 09:11 AM
mrfixit54016

I have quite a few flights on my Firebird Scout also. I started with an Outlaw, and was so pleased with it that I handed that over to my son, and I bought the Scout for myself.

I have done a couple of simple mods that you may want to try. I have a regular Firebird / Firebird II prop on it now. It is longer than stock, but just clears the stab, so it works fine. It seems to have more top speed. Flight times are a bit shorter, but still not bad.

The speed was also helped A LOT by adding the Firebird II ST "Speed Wing" that they sell at the hobby shops as an upgrade to the II ST. It fits perfect on the Scout, and seems to handle the breeze better than the original wing. I bought mine in the red color so I could see the plane better against the winter sky here in Wisconsin. I have not tried this wing with the standard sized prop yet, but I would think that it should work fine.

Speaking of winter, if you are flying a Firebird in a snow covered field, you need to do two things. First, take off the landing gear so you can belly slide onto the snow. Second, buy some big 12" rubber party balloons at Walmart and take a scissors and cut the neck off of the balloon about 1" up from the end. Now you can stretch this over the nose of the plane to keep the battery lid shut when you dive nose first into the snow. If you don't do this, the lid will open up and scoop the snow right into the fuselage where all the electronics are. Getting that board wet will end your flying days quickly.

Oh yeah, and wear your mittens too...
Old 02-04-2005, 02:47 PM
SLOMO

hey bobo212

you mentioned something about a night flight module. can u give a link.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:29 PM
bobo212

i also live here in wisconsin and do some winter flying, i was wondering if pontoons would be good for snow landing and taking off. i see some at my local hobbytown and they make some for lighter planes, i think they make them for the slo v or something, i could be wrong on that. Also with lake butte des morts and winnebago nearby, i think it would fun to see a commander on the water! i have the night flight module for my commander, and its about 20 bucks and really neat to see at night, thy have them in stock also at hobbytown (only hobbyshop between fond du lac and appleton) happy flying!
Old 02-07-2005, 08:03 AM
rcfsr

For those who are contemplating buying the Scout, please be advised that when the battery is plugged in to test the elevons or fly the plane, the motor and prop give an instant burst of full power BEFORE the motor is formally "armed". It only lasts a second or two but came as quite a surprise to me the first time I plugged in. This is the second Scout that I have and both have the same trait. I don't remember seeing a particular warning anywhere in the manual. So far this is the only plane in which I have experienced this anomaly. I also have a Ventura and a Corona heli and neither of them do this. I wonder if the other HobbyZone Firebirds do the same thing?

Bob
Old 02-07-2005, 06:55 PM
brownstone101

ya the fb plans do this it test if bateries are working if that abser ur question
Old 02-08-2005, 10:43 AM
bobo212

sorry i forgot to put the link on my last post here it is [link]http://h1070733.hobbyshopnow.com/services/advanceresultsDetail.asp?strProd=NIGHT+FLIGHT+MODU LE&strSearchType=ALL&strInCategory=ALL&strInManufacturer=ALL&tag=qsrch[/link] these things are pretty slick, it has 4 blink patterns to choose from and to pick a pattern all you do is arm your X port and it has super bright LED's. I would practice flying your plane over your head during the day so you can see your plane at night. i had flown it at night not knowing this and it is pretty hard to tell which way the plane is going if you have it zipping around the field and its very disorienting. good luck
Old 02-08-2005, 11:15 AM
rcfreakk

i don't have a scout but i do have a firebird II ST. No luck at all. Doesn't turn. If it does it doesn't make a difference. Although I too have noticed gittering in the servo. That might be it. But I can't test it I crashed a good 10 times on one run before I broke the main wing and tail. Extremely tough yet uncontrolable
Old 02-08-2005, 07:02 PM
brownstone101

ORIGINAL: bobo212

sorry i forgot to put the link on my last post here it is [link]http://h1070733.hobbyshopnow.com/services/advanceresultsDetail.asp?strProd=NIGHT+FLIGHT+MODU LE&strSearchType=ALL&strInCategory=ALL&strInManufacturer=ALL&tag=qsrch[/link] these things are pretty slick, it has 4 blink patterns to choose from and to pick a pattern all you do is arm your X port and it has super bright LED's. I would practice flying your plane over your head during the day so you can see your plane at night. i had flown it at night not knowing this and it is pretty hard to tell which way the plane is going if you have it zipping around the field and its very disorienting. good luck
is the module worth geting and is it fun
Old 02-09-2005, 09:56 AM
bobo212

i would recommend the module if you would enjoy flying at night. and i would say that it is fun because for some reason passer by's are attracted by the lights flying around in the air. like i mentioned in my last post though, i would practice keeping your plane above you because it is hard to tell which direction you are flying if you fly the plane upwind. its a blast!
Old 02-09-2005, 07:05 PM
brownstone101

people one thing i have a blast and it teatches good throtel control try and keep the plane headlevle or lower but not on the grown but if u want u can bring it down so the gears tutch the grown dont let the tale tusch the grown if u fly at an rc field with a run way try it there be careful dont stick the main wing to the dirt but its fun and u learn good speed control
Old 02-11-2005, 09:04 PM
Ho Malone

I have also recently bought a Firebird Scout. I am totally new to any sort of model flying. The first two days I took it out, it was fairly breezy, so launching it into the wind it took off and climbed right away. and as you might expect, the breeze did carry it away to where I had to just power down and let it soft crash into the frassy field. I really never had it in the air more than a couple of minutes at a time. Today, there was practically no breeze at all, so I was looking forward to some good flying time. Instead, it just kept continually nosing into the ground a few feet from where I released it. Very frustrating.
I assumed I neeeded to adjust the tail section for more lift, but the instruction books says the control flaps need to be level with the rest of the tail, which they are. It also says to adjust the "trim tabs" for more lift. What I find are pre-creased portions at the tipof each tail fin. I assume this is the "trim tabs" the book is speaking of. I can bend these up toward the front of the plane, but they don't stay bent up.
Anyone had any experience with this adjustment?
Old 02-12-2005, 01:04 PM
brownstone101

just ajust the to scruse on the botom thats all u need to do dont bend anything scrue 1 in and one out as the booklet says
Old 02-12-2005, 04:16 PM
jeffharris75

HO,
just got into flying these things myself. I know you from a previous time in my flying histroy (Ultralights) as I was managing Bill Locks flight farm in 1993 (I had a blue and silver Rans S9 registered experimental).
Anyway, moved to NC, short on money so no flying full scale stuff for now. Bought a Scout for training and a HobbyZone ABC (Challenger) last December. I have given up on the Scout as it has no elevator control. Try the Challenger, you will be much mor happy albeit around $100.00 poorer.

Take care,
Jeff Harris

PS: Whats happening in the world of UL. Good planes out there? You can reply to my personal mail so as not to confuse this thread.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:12 PM
Ho Malone

Thanks for the advice. I did try that this morning. It seemed to make sense. Kinda like bending up the tail of a paper airplane. Makes me wonder why the instruction book says they should be "...level with the rest of the tail surface..." which they were when the plane kept nosing into the ground. It was drizzling rain when I took it out this morning, but I was anxious to test the adjustment. I got it into the air successfully several times., still need to learn to guage the direction of the wind a little better though. The field across the street looked pretty big until I started flying in it. Then the trees started to move in on me.
After several crashes, I have a few little chunks missing out of the wing. Nothing serious. I patched them um withmasking tape like the book says. I'm ansious now to get my second battery and quick charger delivered. Two and a half hours is a long time between sessions.
It is a rush to actually get it in the air, if only for a few seconds.

Ho

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.