Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Firebird Commander range problems

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Firebird Commander range problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 04:46 PM
JensVillebro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firebird Commander range problems

I took my new Firebird Commander out for it's maiden flight today. There were no wind at all and it flew perfect, but it seems to have a big problem with the transmitter's range. Even though the plane was only 50m away from me I could hear the motor switching on and off and the further/higher it got the problem worsened. I had a small crash without serious damage, but it only happened because the plane didn't respond when I added throttle.

I suppose it could be that the batteries that came with the commander might be used up, but I think the transmitter device is supposed to blink or beep giving you a warning when that happens.

Have anybody on RC Universe experienced the same thing, and is it a general problem with the Commander or the Hobby Zone products?

By the way, I really like my Commander. It flies fantastic and extremely stable. I agree with all of you guys who say that elevation control would be perfect. Guess my next plane is going to be the AB Challenger or the Xtreme. Cool planes...

Anyway, I really hope somebody can help me.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:34 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Firebird Commander range problems

ORIGINAL: JensVillebro

I took my new Firebird Commander out for it's maiden flight today. There were no wind at all and it flew perfect, but it seems to have a big problem with the transmitter's range. Even though the plane was only 50m away from me I could hear the motor switching on and off and the further/higher it got the problem worsened. I had a small crash without serious damage, but it only happened because the plane didn't respond when I added throttle.

I suppose it could be that the batteries that came with the commander might be used up, but I think the transmitter device is supposed to blink or beep giving you a warning when that happens.

Have anybody on RC Universe experienced the same thing, and is it a general problem with the Commander or the Hobby Zone products?

By the way, I really like my Commander. It flies fantastic and extremely stable. I agree with all of you guys who say that elevation control would be perfect. Guess my next plane is going to be the AB Challenger or the Xtreme. Cool planes...

Welcome to RC flying. You should have a grand time with the Commander.

No there is no light to warn you the motor battery is running out. There is a warning if the transmitter battery runs down.

Have you read the manual?

Did you do a range check?

If you passed range check then extend it. Wal further and further. If you can go back 500 feet (you will need a friend's help) and can still control the plane on the ground, you probably don't have a range problem.

Make sure the battery is fully charged just before you fly.

Make sure the battery connector is tight and fully locked with the plane's connector.

Tell me what happens after you do this test.

Old 05-30-2005, 07:15 AM
JensVillebro

ORIGINAL: aeajr

Welcome to RC flying. You should have a grand time with the Commander.

No there is no light to warn you the motor battery is running out. There is a warning if the transmitter battery runs down.

Have you read the manual?

Did you do a range check?

If you passed range check then extend it. Wal further and further. If you can go back 500 feet (you will need a friend's help) and can still control the plane on the ground, you probably don't have a range problem.

Make sure the battery is fully charged just before you fly.

Make sure the battery connector is tight and fully locked with the plane's connector.

Tell me what happens after you do this test.

Thanks! I've really been looking forward to getting into it, but unfortunately the weather here is too windy right now, so I'll probably won't be able to testfly for 10 days at least. However, yes I did read the manual, but I flew alone on my first flight so I couldn't do te range test. However, while discharging the batteries at home as described in the manual, I encountered no motor drop outs so I guess the motor and board functions just fine. It must be a reception issue. The plane's battery was fully charged and the TX didn't give a low batt signal. I'll try it again with brand new batteries and I'll bring one of my friends, so that we can do a proper range test. I'll post how it goes. I hope, that when I get real good a flying the Commander I can upgrade to the ABX!! That's a cool plane!

Jens
Old 05-30-2005, 07:46 AM
TenTen

Also check if the antenna is secured to your transmitter, you should not be able to rotate the antenna unless you try to unscrew it. I have read about someone having similar problems with his ABX because of that.

Finally you have to check if the receiver antenna has not been cut from the electronics board in the plane's fuselage.

If everything is correct you should be able to fly your Aerobird far far away...
Old 05-30-2005, 09:57 AM
JensVillebro

HI!

AEJR:
Even though I couldn't fly today, I made a range test. I didn't go well at all. I put brand new batteries in the transmitter an charge the flight battery completely. After approx. 50 feet the Commander's controls and motor became very unstable and when my friend walked further away with the transmitter, the Commander lost all control.

GLAROS:
Good idea, but the little black antenna cable is securely wellded to the board, and the antenna is tightly screwed into place.

I have contacted the nice people at HobbyZone.Com where I bought bot my Commander and a Scout for my littlebrother. Hopefully they can help me, so I don't have to pay for the expensive shipping. After all, I didn't break the plane. It never worked when I got it.

Anyway, I'm sure that they will help me. They have been really nice and helpful so far!

Jens
Old 05-30-2005, 03:11 PM
aeajr

You have a tans or receiver problem. HobbyZone has to help you with that.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:12 PM
JensVillebro

OK, I called Horizon Hobby and they immediately sent me a brand new Commander FOR FREE. Good service so don't worry when dealing with Horizon Hobby, they're cool.

I took my brand new (and fully functional) Commander for it's maiden flight yesterday. It flew so well and I quickly got a hold of controlling it. I didn't crash at all, but landed smoothly about 10 times. I flew 30 approx. minutes on one standard battery because the wind was calm but stable and kept the plane up on pure drift. I recommend the Firebird Commander to all new pilots such as myself, but I'm probably going to have to buy the Aerobird Challenger or Aerobird Extreme soon - the Commander is fun, but it lacks the 3rd channel for elevator control! Which one should I get?

CONCLUSION TO THE THREAD QUESTION:
Some HobbyZone products might have range problems (that's probably the reason that the company wants you to do a range test before your first flight), but if it happens, they are cooperative and will immediately send you a replacement.

Thank you guys for help and advice!

Jens
Old 06-09-2005, 08:28 PM
aeajr

CONCLUSION TO THE THREAD QUESTION:
Some HobbyZone products might have range problems (that's probably the reason that the company wants you to do a range test before your first flight),
Jens
All radio makers recommend all customers range check all planes before you fly them. I range check every plane before the first flight of the day everyday and anytime I suspect a problem of any kind.

This is standard operating procedure.