Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Aerobird Extreme TIPS/HINTS - Wanted!

Old 06-11-2005, 05:10 AM
rcnz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Aerobird Extreme TIPS/HINTS - Wanted!

Hi there,

I have been flying a Hobbyzone Firebird Outlaw for about 6 months and I am totally comfortable with the way the plane flies and am actually getting a bit bored with it now!

I have purchased a Aerobird Extreme and are now wanting to make the shift to that plane. I have had a couple of 'lessons' with an experienced RC flyer down at my local club and am now wanting to take it to the park on my own. As expected I am a little nervous not having the instructor there so I can give him the controls if I mess up however I can't keep going back to him forever!

The park which I fly my Firebird Outlaw is a massive area with no buildings or anything like that in the way. Fortunately at the moment the grass is quite soft so that gives me an extra bit of security (in case I crash)!

Basically I would be most appreciative if anyone can offer any tips/hints or bits of advice that might help me fly my Aerobird successfully. I was initially considering going from the ZONE 1 Outlaw --> ZONE 2 Aerobird Challenger - but I don't like the single-stick control unit.

If anyone has flown an Aerobird Extreme I would love any specific advice/tips that you may have relating to the model. One thing which I did do when I was with the instructor I gave a bit of upward trim on the V-Tail so that by default the nose-stays level and doesn't go downward.

Really appreciative any advice anyone can offer!

Regards,
Matthew (rcnz)
Old 06-12-2005, 09:14 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Aerobird Extreme TIPS/HINTS - Wanted!

Actually, it sounds like you're extremely well prepared for this. The most difficult thing will be transitioning from the two-stick to the single stick with elevator control. The ABX will still climb and sink with the throttle, but now you have better control over your turns.

The point of trimming is to get the plane flying straight and level, so you don't have to fight with it. What you did was exactly correct.

If a trim tab is moved excessively in one direction or the other, though, you should consider manually adjusting the control surfaces themselves to get the trim tab centered again. That way you don't have to remember where the trm tab was if you accidentally bump it, and you have additional trim for emergencies.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:35 PM
rcnz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Matt

From scouting around the forum I have noticed a few posts about mods to the Aerobird Xtreme. Would you recommend any of these before my first flight (esp the motor mount one - ensuring that it doesn't fall back into the fuselage...I think this is mentioned in the manual)???

I mean just say I perform a turn with a little to much pitch and send the pflane into a bit of spiral and it hits the ground on its wing. Will such a crash damage the fuselage internals or will the damage mostly be related to the WING and VTAIL? I suppose the motor would only really pop out on a direct nose-to-ground impact...

Finally in the manual it says that in SPORTS MODE the Xtreme can be flown 'like an ordinary 2-channel plane' using 'gentle left-to-right movements + throttle adjustments'. How true is this?

Thankyou very much.

Kind Regards
Matthew (matt!)
Old 06-25-2005, 09:36 AM
EvolPenguin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, the motor mount is a good one, using a zip tie. Look it up in the forums. It has saved my Firebird XL from losing it's motor after it had been knocked out once. Take the precaution early. Also, make sure to relax you'll be fine since you've mastered the outlaw. Good luck and tell us how it goes!

Alex
Old 06-25-2005, 07:21 PM
rcnz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Alex

Yep have inserted a small zip tie through the air vents holes near the motor in the ABX. Locks the motor in nicely!

Would you or anyone else recommend any other mods on the ABX? One thing which I read was about the battery coming out and pulling on the circuit board leading to damage. Would anyone recommend any good ways of securing the battery in (I preferably don't won't to start drilling into the fuselage if I don't have to!)

Also does anyone have any suggestions about modding the Tamiya battery connector - I have heard this can cause problems????

BTW I haven't yet got around to flying the ABX as the weather here in Auckland, NZ has been terrible lately!

Matt
Old 06-30-2005, 06:29 AM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Matt did you get around to flyin the xtreme yet? I went to pro mode and I am a newbie and think its better. DId you happen to goto hobbyzone.com and look at the pro tail mod for the xtreme? GUnna have to try that in time.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:51 PM
rcnz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

chubbysdad

Yeah I think I might perform that mod when I am a bit more experienced! Thanks for the link though! Still haven't got around 2 flying my extreme as I have been really busy! Also it has so happened that when I have had a spare moment it has been 2 windy!

Oh well I'm sure my patience will pay off. So why did you go pro mode - also what mods have you done 2 your plane so far?

Matthew (rcnz)
Old 07-01-2005, 07:09 AM
Chubbysdad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was reading on here that alot of people said easier to control so thats why I tried pro mode. I did find it alot easier. The only mod I have done was the zip tie on the motor. I did tape up front and rear on front wing. I have new wings for the whole thing all around but have been waiting to put them on once the crashing stopped. THink I might be ready. Doing the loops was the best. People were walking down the road to watch and my buddy warned them that I am new so it wont be fun to watch. Maybe the plane new that and took care of me because no crashes that day. lol
You will have alot of fun with it. I bought my son the firebird scout. What a waste. I flew it the first time, and the boom broke on somewhat of a good landing. Now he wants another one. Not sure what to do. The booms on those are so cheap. But he is not ready for the xtreme yet. Best of luck with your flying and post your results. I am always willing to learn new tips from others.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:25 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's odd, but pro mode definitely makes the plane easier to fly, even for a beginner. That may be the only serious flaw with the plane... Basic mode simply does not give you enough control.

chubbysdad, it might behoove you to send an email to Horizon Hobby support to complain about the fragile tail boom. That doesn't sound at all typical of these planes, and it may be a manufacturing defect on that particular plane. Worst thing they can do is say "NO," but the chances of you getting some sort of satisfaction out of the deal are in your favor.

The Scout is the smallest Firebird, right? Then there's the Firebird Commander, then the Aerobird, then the Aerobird Extreme as far as size goes. Your son would do much better on the Commander, or whatever version they've got now, IMHO.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:39 AM
EvolPenguin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Personally (i'm 15, so I might know , I'm not really sure how old your son is), i think the 2 channel planes are too boring. I think, instead of getting the aerobird xtreme, let him get the aerobird challenger, still 3 channels, and it has the xport so you guys can do some combat (tho you will be faster than him). I have a Firebird XL and I know I don't like it much, there's just not enough to do. I just recently got myself a Slo-V for the park right on my block (which is too small for the firebird, well at least for me, I don't feel comfortable), and I haven't maidened it yet, but it looks to be a lot more fun. If you want, you could get him a Slo-V, because it's nice and slow, yet turn on the high rates and you can have some fun. I'll tell you how my first flight goes (hopefully later today).

Also, another mod i've heard of for the aerobird line is to extend the V-Tail flaps for even more control. I think you can buy a special pack with the extended tail (though that might be for the challenger, not sure)

Alex
Old 07-01-2005, 12:15 PM
Mountain_Flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The best Tips i can think of for the Areobird Extreme is:

1: Fly really High.

2:ALWAYS land "INTO" the wind

3: Remove the landing gear unless your landing on a road or parking lot ( the ABX landing gear and grass = ugly landings )

4: Never video tape maiden flights. (you just don't want to relive that pain of the first crash over and over )

And of course do all the reinforcement mods to the plane that have been posted in this forum and others

PX
Old 07-01-2005, 04:37 PM
Chubbysdad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Matt, I did complain to Horizon already and they said send it to us, and we will determine if it is faulty or not and the guy was honest and said, more than likely they wont cover it. He said it is a beginner plane and the quality is not the same as the higher models. So I will take it as a loss and try to repair.

Alex, I think you are right. I will go with the commander or the challenger. He wants to fly my xtreme. I think he has to wait for that even though I had no experience and I learned on it.

thanks for posting guys,
Dennis
Old 07-02-2005, 12:26 AM
rcnz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Cool thanks for that guys.

So you reckon that if I remove the landing gear that will reduce the chance of the battery pack flipping out on landing? Any other good mods to do 2 the plane? (I have also taped up the wing so that the prop doesn't chomp through it)

For my first flight, would it be wise to fly Pro Mode or should I first get the feel of the basic mode and then give Pro-mode a go?

BTW on the matter of durability of the Hobbyzone planes, I learned to fly in an Outlaw and I must say that it is an incredibly solid plane! It has been nosedived from considerable heights to the ground, hit trunks of trees head-on and has cart-wheeled on landing more times than I can number - AND IT STILL FLYS! Obviously I am way better now with the plane and flying it is too simple for me now - but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for a beginner!

RCNZ (Matt)
Old 07-02-2005, 06:37 AM
Mountain_Flyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Matt,

Actually i think you would be better off starting out in Pro Mode then try Sport mode once you get a feel for the plane .. you'll see how unresponsive it is compared to pro

to keep the battery in put a Large rubberband around the canapy and under the noze then tape it to the canapy to keep it in place

also to keep from chewing the back of the wing up .. turn off the motor "before" you land you don't need to make powered landings with the ABX .. its a fine glider besides you'll have a hard enough time getting it on the ground with the motor off .. the ground effect off the ABX's wing is quite pronounced. and don't try and slow it too much on aproach the ABX likes to tip stall when slowed down too much.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:03 AM
Chubbysdad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What person x said. Thats what I did, but I did try sport mode first for one try and went right to pro. I used the rubber band on front also. I couple good crashes and that didnt even work. Now I dont use anything. Guess I am confident lol. Post your results.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:44 PM
yoster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

on the part about the boom.. are you talking about where the fuselage meets the black tail part that goes to the rear wing (tail)? Because on my like.. 4th flight.. my friend crashed it in the ground and it cracked right where the orange fuselage meets the black pipe that goes to the back wing (challenger). Now we are stuck with a plane that wont fly.. we got it 2 or 3 months ago.. flew it 4 or 5 times in the 1st week.. and it has sat ever since [&o].
Old 07-09-2005, 07:00 PM
diviatix

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am the proud owner of an aerobird & an aerobird Xtreme...

The most useful MOD for the Xtreme for me to date is a tail-dragging skidpad... Have you noticed how the tail tends to "kick up" when landing? I followed the basic design of the rear wheel wire on the original aerobird - but no wheel attached.

Use a large size paperclip
1> Straighten it out and bend a tight "eye" at one end.
2> Attach the "eye" to the frontmost of the two tailscrews and bend/loop the wire forward then loop back over the 1st screw towards the back screw.
3> Make another "eye" and attach to back screw.
4> Kinda bend it so it is like a "D" with a bigger back end so it angles down and away from the spar towards the rear.

Ever since I put this on, I get smooth grass landings instead of that annoying kick-flip stopping.

Works on grass, pavement and dirt. Hope someone else finds it as handy.

Image attached (hopefully)
[img]skidpad.gif[/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57997.gif
Views:	4
Size:	1.6 KB
ID:	295356  
Old 07-13-2005, 12:48 PM
GentleBen1952

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The extreme was my first plane and has long since been sold off. I had one bad crash due to the Tamya connectors causing loss of signel. I would switch those out to just about anything else, I use deans ultra plugs on all my stuff. I you ever nose her in hard the g force will cause the motor to move into the fuse, it looks like a flower. Just grab the motor shaft with vise grips heat up the plastic with hair dryer and pull. It will pop right back out. And pro mode is the way to go. It is also a heavy plane and needs a major toss to get flying.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:22 PM
rcnz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Cool - thanks for that.

What kind of connectors should I replace the tamiya ones with?

RCNZ
Old 07-22-2005, 11:32 AM
enufwind

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice tail skid suggestion, diviatix.

Drill a hole in either side of the fuselage immediately in front of the circuit board. Thread a long zip tie through the hole in front of the circuit board and around the outside bottom of the fuselage. This will minimize the risk of the circuit board getting pulled off it's mounts during a crash. (Drill the holes as close to the circuit board as possible so the zip tie doesn't block any space the battery needs. If you don't get it, I'll send a photo.

Also use foam safe glue around the v-tail control horns since they get wiggly in the foam after a bit and then trimming is unpredictable.

Fly high when there is any wind.

This other post may come in handy for you someday: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3184823/tm.htm
Old 07-27-2005, 08:59 PM
rcnz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I did it! Finally got around to flying my extreme yesterday. First flight was a bit dodgy and the landing wasn't so great. Second time round though I got the feel of it a lot more - however I found the control wasn't that great in the Basic mode as there was a little bit of wind.

How much throttle do you need to give this bird to get it to turn properly - I tried turning on really low throttle and it didn't do much. Also would it help if I used some pitch to get nice tighter turns?

Felt great though. I want to go on another day and fly again when there is a little bit less wind. Probably after I have had a few more flights I might give pro-mode a bit of a go.

Thanks for all your help and advice guys - surely made my 1st flight a sucessful one!

Matthew
Old 08-02-2005, 07:44 AM
Walks

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Matthew,

You are correct in wanting to use some pitch in your turns but for how much you’ll need to get a feel for your speed, what direction you’re going (directly into or with the wind), and how strong the wind is. I’m usually going anywhere between half to three-quarters throttle in cruising mode.

If you’re going with the wind and turning back into it you’ll want to use some up elevator because the wind will push the plane down. I’ve crashed being too low so keep the Extreme over 50 feet or (preferably) higher until you feel more comfortable with it. If you’re going into the wind you might want some down elevator; especially if the wind is over 5 mph. The huge wing on the Extreme will catch the wind and the plane can sail up quickly. Also, you don’t need much left or right stick to turn going into the wind. Once the wind gets under the wing it’ll turn and turn fast. You can flip (and not a “good” flip either) it if you give it too much stick.

Speaking of learning to use the speed and elevator, what's really awesome about the Extreme (and Challenger too) is get it up a couple hundred feet then kill the throttle all together to fly it as a glider. You will save battery power and lengthen your flight time. I've had the Extreme airborne for almost twenty-five minutes. Also, you can get the plane to almost hover going into the wind if you play around with the throttle and elevator.

I saw a few comments about tail wings here so for all you Challenger and Extreme fans who are tired of dumping $10-15 for a new tail wing, I’ve been testing some home-made tail wings made out of 3/16 inch foam board. It costs $4 for a 42 x 30 piece of foam board and you can get 15 Extreme or 20 Challenger tail wings out of each piece (that comes out to .33 or .25 cents each!). So far so good with the Challenger but I have not tested the tail wings with the Extreme yet. You can get PDF templates for both at www.mchenryparkflyers.com under the Hangar section. They’re free to download but remember they are still experimental and instructions are pending. They are not hard to make if you want to give it try.

Finally, diviatix, great suggestion for the tail wing. I’ve also tried plopping a rear tire from my Challenger on the Extreme but I like your idea better. The rear tire moves too much because you can only attach it to one screw.

Keep ‘er airborne,

Walks
Old 08-13-2005, 09:20 AM
frenchstan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

rznz:

Some of the tips I've collected or learned.

Aerobird Xtreme from Horizon Hobby

First, this is NOT a beginner’s model. If you don’t already have, say, 50 flights, don’t fly the Xtreme!
Second, you will want to fly it ASAP, even if it’s windy. DON’T DO IT! Wait till there’s no wind!
Third, while waiting for calm wind conditions, join AMA, for insurance - if not for their magazine.
While still waiting, read and re-read the Aerobird instructions. Set up the Xtreme per the directions.
Watch the CD/video for the setup and initial assembly, but……………….
don’t even think about doing any of the AEROBATICS it shows until you have 50 flights completed.
Look around for a high school or park with clear space equal to at LEAST 4 soccer fields; 8 are better.
When you charge your battery, follow the directions and DON’T charge more than 3 hours…. DON’T.
Reinforce the rear (trailing) edge of the wing with a 14” long piece of glass-reinforced, 2” wide tape….
Yes, your prop WILL HIT the rear edge of the wing and take a bite out of it! This taping is a must!
Also, reinforce the leading edge with an 8” long, 2” wide piece of glass-reinforce fiberglass tape.
Do not fly your Xtreme, even once, without the reinforcement of the leading and trailing edges!
Permanently mark your name and phone number on the body, battery and wing. Trust me, it’ll save $$.
If you join the American Modeling Association, mark you AMA ID number on your plane, too.
Use permanent markers to color-code the lines leading to the elevators as to right (green) and left (red).
Closely study / sketch how the elevator lines are wrapped on the horn and those little gray spools.
Note there is a tiny o-ring that must be mounted under the spool to give it some resistance to unraveling.
Do a Search for “Aerobird Extreme” at RCUniverse and study how to reinforce the motor mount. DO IT!
Also check RCGroups.com and do searches for info on the Xtreme, and reinforcing the motor and boom.
DO NOT TRY TO FLY YOUR XTREME, EVEN ONCE, without reinforcing the motor mount. DO IT!
Do a Search for Aerobird Extreme on RCUniverse and study how to reinforce the tail.
Don’t even think about landing in grass, unless it’s on the greens of a golf course, because it WILL flip.
Still, you will try to land the Xtreme in grass! It won’t work unless you land on putting greens. It’ll flip!
WHEN you flip over your Xtreme in the grass, each time you have a 20% chance of breaking the tail.
With its standard wheels, land only on swept-dirt infields, putting greens or asphalt - unless you are rich.
Each new tail is $15; each new wing is $20. Buy one spare wing, two spare tails and extra batteries.
When you first get it flying, fly in gentle circles. Practice flying level - round and round and round.
Early on, practice your landing “approaches”; of course, always land into the (very slight) wind, right?
Don’t even think about using Pro Mode until you have 25 flights in, AND you feel VERY comfortable.
You’ve read about flying safety: not flying over cars, people, roads. For THIS plane, actually follow that!
You have to launch the Aerobird Xtreme with a strong throw; HORIZONTAL, or just a LITTLE above.
Early on, fly in no wind or very slight wind, but always launch / land INTO THE WIND.
Don’t even think about using the Bomb release or Combat attachment until you have 50 flights.
Have silicon glue ready at home for when you crash and rip off the soft nosepiece. It’s guaranteed.
Another “first” thing to do when it’s new; put 2” wide clear plastic tape on the black nose to hold it on.
When you crash the Aerobird, make sure you pick up ALL THE PIECES, for repairs. Repeat: get ‘em all.
The Xtreme wants to fly fast and it covers a LOT of ground – FAST. That’s why you need lotsa space.
Option: buy Maxx / MPI 2.5” light weight foam wheels, or equivalent, and exchange with the originals.
Always fly with a rubber band over the canopy to keep it from flipping open when you crash.
THE XTREME IS ABSOLUTELY NOT FOR BEGINNERS! THERE’S NO “MAYBE” HERE!
When upgrading to the Xtreme from a “trainer,” make sure the first ten flights are in CALM air!
When flying the Xtreme, make sure the first 25 flights are at a clear area; at LEAST 4 football fields.
Initially, don’t fly when people are around…this is a fast, ponderous, HEAVY machine. It loves to dive!
Reinforce motor mount BEFORE you fly, to reduce inevitable damage. Don’t fly, even once, without it.
WHEN the radio receiver’s board rips out of the mount it’s screwed into, glue it back with hot melt glue.
When the body is shot because you didn’t stay out of the wind, buy a $20 replacement (empty) body.
If the radio receiver gets ruined, buy the $60 replacement body with new motor and electronic guts.
The original Xtreme will land and take off from a WIDE, flat surface or a well-maintained dirt infield.
If you can afford it, buy extra NiMH batteries.
Buy some generic rubber bands that match the ones for the wing, and that oddball one on the tail.
Flight-check: inspect that brown rubber band for the tail. It comes off sometimes. Length is 4.”
Buy a Flight Simulator and practice with a V-tail model.
The adjustment spools on the control horns have to be fairly tight; tight enough where you can JUST move them with your fingers. If they are not tight enough, they’ll unspool in flight and – it’s crash-city.
About those elevator lines, consider routing them through TWO “holes” and THEN onto the gray spool.
The black fiberglass tail boom can be come dislodged in a crash. Inside the body, the boom is mounted at two points. It may be obviously damaged and out of alignment, or, it may just have come out of its forward mounting point, in which case you may not be able to notice it. In this second case, the bird will act as if it has too much “down” elevator, and it will keep nose-diving into the ground on launch. Unfortunately, this second condition is subtle, tough to “feel” it with your hand on the boom, and is impossible to see looking inside the body from the front hatch.
Once you get proficient, and if you have a lot of money, see the forums on RCUniverse for modification to the Aerobird tail to make it more aerobatic.
The radio receiver inside the Xtreme has an “FET” (Field Effect Transistor?) that burns out if you run it full throttle all the time. Do a Google search for IRLI3803 and buy a spare FET. It’s fairly easy to de-soldier the original (it’s got a big heat sink bolted to it) and soldier in this new, more powerful one. International Rectifier is one source, $7.08 for each FET plus ten bucks S&H; Customer Service is 1-888-671-1736. Again, do an RCUniverse search for more info on this great fix, and one for the blue resonator.
Easiest way to work on the receiver board is to unbolt the motor and untie the antenna and elevator wires and pull everything out. Get a long piece of FINE wire from a Local Hobby Shop to use to fish the three wires back into the boom later on. While everything’s out, cut off some of the tip of the black, plastic insert at the end of the boom to make a bigger hole for fishing the antenna back in. Also, use a small drill to open up the slanted hole for the elevator lines, so it’s easier to fish them back out.
Oil the motor bearings when the motor is out.
If the Xtreme JUST won’t quite fit in your car or trunk, you can cut off 2” off the wing tips; it doesn’t seem to affect it. I did it to fit it into my Honda Civic’ trunk or back seat
Keep the speed up, keep the nose up, and don’t fly in the wind until you’ve got those 25 flights!
See the Xtreme in a new car commercial in May 05; I think it was a Dodge.
For insurance, carry your AMA card, and put your AMA number on your bird. Fly in no wind, no wind!
You can fly the Xtreme with the transmitter from the Park Zone Stryker if you have the same channel.
After 50 flights, you can do Touch and Goes with wheels or without.
If an otherwise good-flying Aerobird starts to “float,” and only wants to go up but not down, you’ve probably lost or broken the elevator rubber band.
When the body of the Xtreme starts to split at the nose, you can usually fix it with hot melt glue, or by using the tip of the hot melt glue gun to “weld” the edges together. As a preventive, put a piece of tape over the seam.
Some Forum comments have mentioned using a slightly tighter rubber band on the tail for better response. I haven’t tried it yet.
Some magazines that I’ve found useful for those interested in electric flying are Park Flyer and Quiet Flyer. The magazine 3D Flying is OK, as is Fly RC magazine.
Have you noticed how many times this document says to start out flying the Xtreme in CALM AIR?
Old 08-24-2005, 02:38 PM
compound_goose

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi,

jsut bought an aerobird extreme to learn to fly on, i know that was the first mistake..lol
i managed to pop the fuselage at the front, and crack a bit around the motor mount , aswell as breaking the canopy in a crash (new parts are on order, total of repairs being £13 which i was pleasantly suprised at (on my rc car normally a major crash results in between £30 and £60's worth of damage)

can anyone give me any tips on getting it to turn better, i pull the stick across , ease back on it to put it into a turn but it doesent seem to turn very easily, ive got the hang of taking off and getting it up in the air a bit, and also the glide in landings i can do, im just not too sure about how to turn it around propperly, can someone give me some basic tips and hints?

thanks guys
CG
Old 08-24-2005, 08:07 PM
Walks

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Goose,

Yeah, the Extreme wouldn't be the best to start with but once you get the hang of it, it does fly smooth.

For starters, since you've crashed quite a bit make sure that you control lines are tightly fastened on the tail horns (small round plastic screws tighten the lines to the horns). If the lines are loose your plane will not turn or climb/desend properly. Speaking of control lines, have you ever had to change the tail wing? If so, make sure you have the control lines connected to the correct horn. The connections are opposite; left control "turn" line connects to the right horn. Move your stick to the left and see which line gets pulled. Put that one on the right horn. Also make sure the lines aren't twisted coming out of the boom. I've put mine on the wrong way and once I got it back up in the air I discovered my right was left and visa versa. Landing wasn't pretty.

Next, before you take off (by hand or ground) check your trim. I didn't do this way too many times with my challenger and it went up, turned over sharply, and bit the dirt.

As far as when you get it in the air, you may need to play the wind a bit (and I don't suggest flying in anything over 5-8 mph at first). If the plane is going with the wind and you are turning AGAINST the wind, it will take you longer to turn because the wind will be pushing down on top of the huge 55" wings. You might find it fighting the wind a tad so give the plane lots of room to turn. You might find you need a little up elevator when turning against the wind due to the wind pushing down on the wings.

Conversely, if the plane is flying into the wind and you are turning INTO the wind, the bottom of the wings will catch a lot of air and you don't need that much left or right stick. Depending on how strong the wind is a little touch one way or the other will make the plane turn. Also conversely, you might want a little down elevator turning into the wind. The plane might sail up a bit when the wind catches under the wings.

Have fun, its a great bird the fly. I got mine in the spring and I'm doing all kinds of tricks. Loops are far easier than I thought ... but get your control of the plane down first before you try!

Keep 'er airbourne and have a blast!

Walks

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service