Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

new to flying advice welcome

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

new to flying advice welcome

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 10:18 AM
sportsman67

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to flying advice welcome

Hi, I am new to flying and have a few questions maybe someone can give me some advice. First let me tell you I recently after internet surfing for a few weeks ordered and received a Begin-air electric plane. I have been practicing on the flight sim I bought with it for a few weeks now and will be hopefully get to fly it this weekend. A friend of mine who has been flying for almost 30 years will be showing me a few things as I agreed to join the local club. Although I haven't flown yet I have pre ordered the PZ P-51D mustang and now can't decide if this would be a good choice for a second plane with all the mixed reviews and my lack of experience, any suggestions? A big point for me besides looks in wanting this plane was the ability to drop some parachutes for the kids maybe talk some friends into getting one so we can dogfight. I have been looking at the hobbyzone line of planes and was wondering if the aerobird challenger or areobird extreme would be a better choice for a newer pilots second plane? Also if my friends wanted to get into flying would they be able to learn on the aerobird challenger or should they start with the firebird commander? This is important because if they buy a plane I would have to buy the same to keep things fair so I thought with a few pointers the middle road might be okay,any thoughts?
Old 06-16-2005, 04:05 PM
FlyinTiger
My Feedback: (45)

Default RE: new to flying advice welcome

First of all...be sure you are very confident in your flying skills and have been flying successfully for a couple of months before you fly over kids with a plane, no matter how small or light (it actually isn't a good idea to fly over people at all if you can help it).

Keep practicing on the flight simulator. Make sure you get comfortable with flying toward yourself. Practice doing figure 8's at a constant altitude. Practice landings until you can't stand it anymore...you'll have to land on your very first flight if no one else is there to do if for you!

Get the "Bird" that has elevator control...these planes are relatively inexpensive and should provide some great fun and be a suitable platform for learning how to fly.

After that I would go to something like the Magpie (electric 4 channel aerobatic trainer) instead of a P-51. The P-51 would be a good third plane as it flies faster and will be less stable with the low wing. You can do a search for the Magpie here on RCU, it seems to be a great plane.

Good luck! Fly safe.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:40 AM
sportsman67

Thanks FlynTiger for responding. I guess that doesn't sound to good wanting to fly around kids but believe me I have two kids and would not want to hurt them thier friends or anyone for that matter. I am going to learn how to fly at the local club with an experienced pilot and plan on spending some time learning at the airfield before I try to fly anywhere else. He also pointed out the dangers of flying outside the airfield but liked the way I was going about getting into the hobby and my intention of staying with electric park flyers as I live with huge field just outside my backyard fence. I have many hobbies and my friends think I'm a big kid (so does my wife) but I probably would not even get into the rc's , rockets, planes, ect. as much if the kids weren't around to watch, to me thats half the fun so I hope that maybe I get good enough and if they stand behind me they'll be safe or I won't do it. I checked out that magpie it does look like a good plane. I have a 4 channel trainer which my instructor says will be a little tougher to learn but it can fly slow and is a pusher model so it should be more forgiving when I crash. My next plane is turning out to be a tougher decision than I thought, I appreciate the input and the concern I will take care. Thanks Rick
Old 06-17-2005, 07:29 AM
FlyinTiger
My Feedback: (45)

You're bound for success with an instructor...it looks like he's already giving you advice. You'll find that your kids will be wanting to fly soon, and someday you'll be able to put them on the buddy box and let them learn too. Flying RC is a great family hobby! Be careful, your kids will get good really fast and pass up us older people...