Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Batteries for my soon to own SS

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Batteries for my soon to own SS

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 06:28 PM
EvolPenguin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Batteries for my soon to own SS

I have finally convinced my dad to let me get the gws slowstick after flying with the Firebird XL for a while. I realize I want extra batteries for it so I can fly more, and I realized I have some old batteries from a remot control car that I was wondering if I could use with it. They both look like 8 cells. Are those too big for the Slow Stick?

This is the first one, a 9.6v 620 mAh Nicad battery pack. Would it be fine if I changed the connector? (a closer picture of the connector later on)

This second one is a 9.6v 1420 mAh Ni-MH battery. Same connector as the first one.

And heres the connector

Thanks in advance,

Alex
Old 06-25-2005, 09:19 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Batteries for my soon to own SS

They'll be a pretty good load for the SS, but since they're 8 cells, they'll give the SS more power.

I would recommend that you buy at least one of the right packs for it first, and get used to the plane at its natural weight before flying it with the heavy batteries, though.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:02 PM
EvolPenguin

Yes, a battery comes with the kit, but what about the connector, my dad said it would be easy to replace, I just need to know what kind of connector I need.

Alex
Old 06-28-2005, 06:06 PM
EvolPenguin

Does anyone know of a good Ni-MH or Ni-CD battery charger thats also relatively cheap?

Alex
Old 06-29-2005, 12:38 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: EvolPenguin

Does anyone know of a good Ni-MH or Ni-CD battery charger thats also relatively cheap?

Alex
Depends on the size of the batteries you're going to charge.

I have this charger (Great Planes AC Park Flyer Peak Charger).
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCJE2&P=0

200 to 800 ma adjustable charge rate and will trickle the batteries when done no matter what the rate you've set, which is a nice feature. Comes with a female JST connector, but you can solder up whatever adaptors you need. It's been working hard for me for the last year and a half.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:43 AM
bassmanh
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

evol,
here is another good charger that is fairly inexpensive and works WITH MOST nicad and nimh packs from my 4 cell RX packs to my big 8 cell 3300 nimh plane packs. hope this helps.

bassman

P.S. oops i forgot to put the link on http://www.gws-online.com/products.p...t=0&pid=MC2002
Old 06-29-2005, 02:13 PM
EvolPenguin

Yeah, I decided to get the MC2002, because it's on the same site where i'm getting my plane, and I don't want to pay shipping from another site because i'm getting free shipping from gwsexpert.com.

Thanks for the suggestions tho

Alex