Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Quick charge before flying?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Quick charge before flying?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 03:19 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quick charge before flying?

I had a Superster EP test flown today with the stock battery pack (8.4 Volts, 7 cells). One comment from the experienced flyers was that I should give the battery a quick charge before the flight. At what rate do you give a quick charge? I had charged the batteries the night before.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:58 PM
L0stS0ul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Quick charge before flying?

If you let your batteries sit for more than a few hours it's best to "repeak" them before you fly. All you do is throw them back on the charger and let them recharge fully. Nimh cells tend to loose charge if left alone. You will get more starting power out of the battery if you put it back on the charger for 5-15 minutes before the flight.

If you are using a peak charger it should get it back to fully charged on its own. I've found that if I leave my nimh batteries in a fully charged state and then go to repeak them at the field after 2-3 days it takes 15-20 minutes to repeak them.

It's also better to fly nimh batteries when they are warm and right off the charger.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:04 AM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Quick charge before flying?

Thanks for the input. I didn't mention that the stock battery pack with the superstar ep uses a 2100 mah nicad battery pack. But I do plan to get a larger 3000 mah nimh pack if flying goes well.