Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

J 3 cub & Super Decathlon - parkzone.com

Old 07-05-2005, 08:32 PM
me 02

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default J 3 cub & Super Decathlon - parkzone.com

Thank you all for the comments on the S Decathlon...is there anyone else who has
flown this plane? How about the j 3 cub from the same company? I cannot decide what
plane to get. sorry - meant Cessna - not Cenna. any advise would be helpful. Many thanks.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:20 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: J 3 cub & Super Decathlon - parkzone.com

None of the above, if you're a beginner with no flying experience and no experienced pilots around that you can ask for help. As I said in the other thread, planes that look like "real" planes are not good beginner planes. Both the Decathlon and Cub need an experienced pilot at the controls.

I would recommend that you start off simple, with the Firebird Commander, or perhaps an Aerobird Challenger. Those will give you your best chance of success. Don't be put off because they don't look "cool" because once you get a taste of controlled flight, it wouldn't matter if the plane looked like a dog turd with wings
Old 07-06-2005, 08:35 PM
MachManStan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

me 02,

I agree with Matt. I have the Super Decathalon as my first plane and I have yet to keep it in the air for more than about 1 - 2 minutes. Both planes look great, but I don't think they are meant for first time fliers. If I had it to do all over again I would choose the Aerobird Challenger or Firebird Commander to start out.

Stan
Old 07-06-2005, 09:57 PM
under_par_00

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got the PZ Super Decathlon as my first plane. Only RC experience Ive had is my Nitro Cars. I am a pilot in real life which I think greatly helped me fly the plane. I have yet to crash this thing and have about 10 flights. It is hard for me to suggest or not suggest this as a first plane, because I did it as my first plane, but Im not sure how much being a real pilot has helped.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:50 PM
mane3215

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey me02, both myself and my bro bought a j3 cub. This was our first plane. I have had no previous rc plane experience. It was a bit difficult and frustrating learning to fly on this plane. It only took me about 5 shafts 2 gear boxes and about 20 props A LOT of packing tape and some super glue to get me where I am now.

I have only actually gone flying about 4 times and am now able to keep the plane int he air for the full battery life and do so comfortably without incident. Today I lost the plane, I was up so high I could hardly see the plane, did a nose dive for about 150 or so feet to pull up and do a loop. The problem is the wing broke and it spiraled down into some trees WAY higher then I could ever get heh. Kind of bummed but I am ready for my next plane now =).

If you have some patience, and are a bit mechanically inclined to fix the plane many many times, go for the cub. In reality though the above plane will be much easier I think to learn to fly with!

Good luck!
Old 08-31-2005, 06:08 PM
PMDrive1061

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Took me a few busted parts to learn the Cubbie after starting out on a Firebird Commander, but I can now fly that plane with my eyes closed, even with the Venom Fireball 370 motor and E-Flite 9x4.7 prop I stuffed in it thanks to the tips I picked up on this very site.

It is a fantastic little plane, no doubt about it. If not for the Cub, I wouldn't be flying a P-51. Incredible plane in the air, but first you have to launch it. THAT is the hard part thus far. Gonna be putting a few more wrinkles in that bird before I find the sweet spot on launch. Ah, but once it's airborne, you can't take your eyes off it for a second. It's ballistic compared to the Cub.

Would I buy another Cub? In a heartbeat. My only real gripe with that bird is the design of the prop shaft. Only a buck-99 to replace, but you have to remove the prop, cowl and gearbox to do it once the gear decides to part company with the shaft.