Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Freedom Flyer - Any Comments?

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Freedom Flyer - Any Comments?

Old 07-06-2005, 07:48 PM
me 02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freedom Flyer - Any Comments?

I would like to know if anyone has flown the
Freedom Flyer from megatech.com. Any comm-
ents would be welcome.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:14 PM
cfilkins

Default RE: Freedom Flyer - Any Comments?

I had one as my first plane. It's a plastic fuselage with a foam one piece wing, and foam tail feathers. 400 sized motor, running off a 7-cell 2/3AA pack.

As a newbie, it's not necessarily the best choice as it's fast...quite fast. I went out to the local high school football field for my first few flights, and found that it had gone the full length of the field in no time flat. If you do decide to go with it, have lots of tape handy for the wing, and order extra props and landing gear, and maybe extra wing/tail, because they might be hard to find otherwise (my local hobby shop doesn't carry any megatech stuff that I've seen and the prop is a friction fit non-standard prop).

If you've got plenty of space and a lot of patience, it could be fun to fly...I crashed mine nose first into a light pole and blew up the ESC, promptly ending its life. I kind of miss it, but I'm flying a hobbico supersport ep now and I'm quite happy with it.

Chris
Old 08-16-2005, 06:33 PM
vtwinguy
My Feedback: (3)

Check the user reviews. I find it hard to beat, tough, flies good, parts are available and relatively inexpensive. It is a bit optimistic to try and learn to fly any non-toy RC model without assistance, however.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:21 PM
flyingflipper

Read the posts on C Universe and RC Groups to get a good idea of what other people have experienced. I bought one despite the negative reviews and I'll never do it again! It looks sharp but it is poorly designed and breaks easily despite the seemingly tough plastic body. The electronics are based on the 27 mhz band - the same as the RC toys that Radio Shack and others sell creating a hazard to your plane if someone within 1,500 feet decides to turn their RC car. The esc, rx and servos are not high quality and although they say you can swap out the parts to another plane, they may never survive the crash. Hand launching is risky at best and it needs plenty of runway while trying to keep it straight if you try a ROG. I had several mishaps and it died an early death. The damage wasn't a spectacular crash - it was more a series of take off and landing damages that brought it down. The overall flights were decent but short - it really needs an upgraded battery and motor because it is a really heavy bird for the amount of wing area. The reviews written by the magazine writers are very optimistic about the Freedom Flyer but the comments from the groups are not. Bottom line: there are many other planes out there with 72 mhz equipment that will give you a great flying experience are more durable and if you crash the thing, you can take out the electronics and put them in another plane. The EasyStar is an excellent example of what I mean.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:02 PM
vtwinguy
My Feedback: (3)

I checked the RC groups posts and the only negative one I saw was from the same guy as this one. I have been flying mine 8 months and still have the original tail feathers and fuselage but am on the 2nd wing. I have always thrown mine for launch as I fly at a park and the tires are too small for the grass (just leave them off). FYI, 95% of all RTF models of this type by any manufacturer are on 27 MHz, at least with the Freedom Flyer you get a 4 channel set, I have stripped the gears in the servos a couple of times as I have also done with other "high quality" 9 oz servos, after all they are very light. I might add that I have never taken a hit on the radio, something I can't say for my Hitec or Futuba sets. There may be better out there but in this price range, this is one of the good ones.