Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Frustrated newbie to electric

Old 07-09-2005, 05:15 PM
bokuda
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Frustrated newbie to electric

At the last WRAMS show I bought an electric power system from NES. It includes an Himax HC2808-0980 outrunner and a Phoenix 10 speed controller. I'm using a Kokam 3 cell lipoly battery and a GWS 4 channel receiver and GWS servos.

I finally got the time to put a plane together. After dealing with the hassles of matching connectors and mounting the prop etc., I finally got my homemade plane ready to fly. I programmed the speed controller per the instuctions. When I fired up the motor, first at low speed then at about 1/2 throttle, the speed controller smoked and burned out. This happened in about 5 seconds.

Any ideas on what I did wrong? How should I "fix" this?

Thanks, Dave
Old 07-11-2005, 01:46 PM
wreck_em_all

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Frustrated newbie to electric

What prop are you using? How did you program the controller? What settings did you program? Sounds like the controller was over propped and incorrectly programmed. Contact Castle Creations for ESC service/repair. They are very good about their service.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:28 PM
bokuda
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have an APC 9x4.75 on it. I programmed it for option 4: 3 cell lithium pack for cutoff voltage. I programmed it using the tx stick method. A bit tedious counting flashes!

I don't think it's a prop problem because the motor was never loaded. I was gradually increasing the throttle and the ESC burned out at about 1/2 throttle or less.

I'll send it to Castle just to see what happens. I've already ordered another ESC and I'll get an experienced friend to help me set it up this time.

Thanks for the response.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:35 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It could be that you did absolutely nothing wrong, and you simply got a bad controller or motor. Happens even to the best manufacturers... A manufacturer's true quality is in how it handles problems, and Castle is one of the best in that respect.

ESCs normally burn out due to overloading, a short-circuit, or reversed polarity at the battery connection. If you can eliminate those as causes for the burnout...