Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Aerobird Xtreme Servo Twitch

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Aerobird Xtreme Servo Twitch

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 09:38 PM
nbusetti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerobird Xtreme Servo Twitch

Hello everyone

This is my first post on this forum, so I am very new here.

I have an Aerobird Xtreme and about a month ago I was flying it and had a quite rough landing which resulted in a split in half broken V tail. Well I have since replaced it with a new V Tail and set all the trimming up for the rudder flaps. The problem is when I test the controls (servos) on the transmitter when I try a left right turn the left flap goes up that is fine but the right flap slightly moves down a couple of millimetres (A small twitch in the servo), it is not huge but annouying as it never did it before. I want someone's opinion if it is still possible it can fly with this glich.

The last flight which was the rough landing day the Aerobird was not controlling at all, in fact in kept going up and down and was not working like it used to. I will describe what happened before the crash to give everyone some specifics to my crash and maybe why my right servo is deciding to twitch downwards. Before the rough landing a cat knocked the aerobird off a table and in result criched the right side of the V tail but I am not sure if that caused any problem as it looked like it was pretty straight but I could be wrong and another possibilty was there was a slight cross wind so that could have caused my rough landing and unstable control.

Anyway the problem is in SPORTS MODE and because I am new, that is the only mode I am using. However I switched to PRO MODE and there is no problem with the servo twitching down a couple of millimetres. But I am not sure if I am capable yet at using PRO MODE.

I have not tried to fly my Aerobird yet as I am just wanting so input from someone so I can see what next to do.

Thank you for your time

Nicholas
Old 07-25-2005, 08:59 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Aerobird Xtreme Servo Twitch

Hmmm. That's a tough one. Diagnosing the problem is going to be tough without being able to see the plane.

First and foremost, any damage that changes the shape of the plane will change the way it flies. "Pretty straight" is not the same as straight. The damage may not make the plane unflyable, and may not even make the plane fly poorly, but it will certainly change the trim settings. If your cat put a crease in one of the V-tail surfaces... Maybe the tail was also torqued out of position at that time too? If the tail was out of place, that would account for the unstable flight.

A hard landing can easily damage radio equipment. It doesn't happen most of the time, but it can happen any time. If the landing was hard enough to break the tail boom, it put quite a shock to the rest of the plane, and could have damaged the control board or a servo. I'm not saying this is why the controls are acting funny, but it is a distinct possibility.

Come to think of it, isn't the opposite flap supposed to drop a little in Pro Mode? I don't know how, but the modes may have been switched somehow in the crash??? Now it comes up by default in Pro mode??? I dunno. Just grasping at straws here. You'll find that most R/C flyers aren't very well versed in component-level electronics; the standard operating procedure for diagnosing electronic problems is:

1. Replace it.
2. Does it work now? If yes, go fly. If no, replace something else...
Old 07-25-2005, 10:19 AM
enufwind

I recommend using only pro mode since the issue does not appear there. I had endless crashes in sport mode when there was even the slightest bit of wind.

The difference between sport and pro is not that severe and you will enjoy the additional control. The difference being that the plane can be steered with much less stick movement but then you also have a better chance of preventing crashes by having more control with more stick movement.

The trimming can be affected by the v-tail control horns getting sloppy. Use foam safe glue to secure them and check them before each flight.
Also check the trim before each flight with the motor on full blast and then again off. I've seen the ABX circuitry do some strange things after it's up in the air. Good luck.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:01 AM
nbusetti

Thanks guys

I just went down to my parents farm and went for a test flight with my Aerobird Xtreme. I found that it was climbing too fast like the day I crashed so I now know that I have to adjust the tail boom screws holding the V tail. Also I found my Aerobird would not control properly in SPORTS mode which is a pest as the twitch is no longer there.

Also I now know from reading your replys that tail horns can be a problem, like the one on the right tail flap. It keeps coming loose so I glued that up. I am thinking that could have been an issue at my parents farm as it did not control properly. So I am setting the flaps again and hopefully my Aerobird will better behave itself. I miss flying it, but I think I can see some light with it and my confidence is going up.

Wish me luck

Nicholas

P.S. I will try PRO Mode out for the first time as everyone on this forum suggests it. I guess once you crash, Sports mode is no longer a good idea if it does not behave properly.