Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

beginner question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 07:46 PM
Tommyr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: beginner question

While I am brand new to the hobby myself and in no real position yet to offer expert advice it seems the Slo-V would be your plane. I bought one and received it last week but have not flown it yet. It is a slow flying plane which us beginners need to learn on. It will do rolling lift offs. There are videos of it in flight on the net and is a really nice starter plane IMHO. Read Ed's posts, he's really put together some great Faqs and information that he post regularly. I posted a photo of mine in the gallery tonight.

Tom

Old 08-31-2005, 09:06 AM
frvrngn
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Slo-V is a great plane, that is what I learned on (and am still learning!). Few things to remember which have been talked about to death but - Fly in little to no wind first few times out! Cant stress that enough, the Slo-V and really most any slow flyer hates wind. You will spend all your time trying to get it to stay flying rather than actually flying. Really that is the most important thing no matter what you take out to fly as a beginner. Make sure your battery is fully charged. The stock 6cell doesnt give this bird much power as it is. The 7cell upgrade is Highly recommended. When you come in for your landings or think you might crash, cut the throttle before you hit! Will save your plane a lot of stress to the carbon fuse right behind the motor mount (heard its a weak point) and your propshaft. Go ahead and get a $2.00 propshaft when it bends eventually Make sure you read all the directions, it covers the importance of the adj main wing and getting the trim right in the tail.

A couple tips I picked up recently that helped to fine tune - the stock props are way out of balance! At least both of mine were. I thought I had a bent prop shaft when it was the prop that was causing the bad vibration. Unscrew the prop and let it just balance on the end of the shaft horizontally. What ever side wants to swing down is heavy, so apply a small piece of elec tape to the backside of the opposite side. Once it stays level you are set. Makes a huge change to how smooth she flys now! The other is to pick up a GWS1180 slow flyer prop. It gives the plane a little better grunt in the wind. Nobody has burned up a motor yet, but it will spin a litttle hotter. Stock motors are only $9.00, so no big deal for much better performance.

All in all, I think it was a great plane to learn on. Almost any plane you get will have its quirks that will need a slight mod here or there. If you follow them, the plane should fly great for a long time to come...
Old 08-31-2005, 03:37 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Slide,

Here is my suggestion.

Assuming you have the space, I would suggest you spend a few extra $$ and get the T-Hawk. Since you don't have a local source of spare parts, etc, the fact that the T-hawk comes with two wings, two tails AND two batteries is valuable for you. Also has wheels and can take off from ground. the wing has a spar embedded in the foam which means you are less likely to over stress it. Comes with AC/DC battery charger which is very convenient. I think this is the best all around fit for you.

Second choice is the Easy Star. Being made of Elapor foam, it is very very rugged and you are not likely to need spares. It can really take punhishment. Add an extra battery for convenience. But no landing gear, so no rise off ground! Of course you could make your own. This comes with 72 MHZ radio in US. Is that frequency legal in your country?

Third choice, Aerobird. If you are going to order an Aerobird, which as landing gear, get an extra wing and tail as well as a second battery. That will add about $50. Factor these into the price since you can't go to the local hobby strore to buy spares where you live.

Make sure the available chargers will work on your power.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Based on your comments