Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Need help with Wattage CAP 232

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Need help with Wattage CAP 232

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 11:33 PM
aero-addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with Wattage CAP 232

I recently bought a Wattage Cap 232 ARF kit and I am starting to build it. The kit comes with a super cobalt 400 motor pre installed. I thought this would be a good plane for me to experiment and learn about brushless motors and Li-ion/ Li-poly batteries. I bought a motor/controller used to for the Cap and was looking for some advice and suggestions on optimizing my set-up. Below are the kit specs and a list of the equipment I have:

Wattage CAP 232EP
wing span: 36"
wing area: 220 sq. inches
flying weight: 28- 30oz.

Equipment available:
brushed: Super Cobalt 400 27T motor & E-flight 20amp controller
brushless: Mega ACn 16/15/4 & JETI BRUSHLESS ADVANCE 30-3P controller
Master Airscrew 0860S scimitar profile propeller
Electro-fly Triton Charger
No batteries yet

I'm not sure if this motor is sufficient for the CAP or what the 16/15/4 means. It looks to me like the the number of winding like on a brushed motor. Does anyone know if this would be a good motor for my CAP and if so what would be a good battery pack to use? I don't know the differance between Lio-ion and Lio-poly either....which is better? Also, I am looking for any ideas on prop type and size. Any help is much appreciated !! Thanks in advance! Bart

"WILL FLY FOR FOOD"
Old 08-27-2005, 02:52 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Need help with Wattage CAP 232

Don't worry about knowing "what the 16/15/4 means." Those numbers do not help you figure out if the motor is "good" for a particular airplane. They're just model numbers. In reality, they are just the physical dimensions of the rotor and the number of turns of wire on the rotor. Again, not useful in figuring out of the motor is right for your plane.

The recommended stock configuation for that plane will make it heavy for its size, and a little underpowered. I'll tell you what a local pilot used on his Wattage Giles 202 (similar size/weight/purpose plane): He used a 3S ThunderPower 2100 LiPoly pack, an AXi 2808/24 motor, and a 10x4.7 prop. The plane came out at around 20 ounces as I recall, not the 28-32 ounces advertised by Wattage, and has an excessive amount of power.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:06 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

You probably won't be able to fly it with the Super Cobalt and 20 amp ESC. That motor requires at least a 30 amp controller. I have a Mega 16/15/4 with a gearbox, inner driven, in a SR Cutie. I fly it with a 10x5 APC electric prop on 8 cell 1300 NiCd packs. It is a beauty. The ESC is am 18 amp TMM unit. It's about 2.5 to 1 gear reduction. Without a gearbox, you'll have to use a smaller prop, a 6x4 is recommended I think. Have You checked Mega's web site. There's good information there. I don't have it on this machine. It's new and I have to reconstitute my "Favorites".
Old 08-27-2005, 07:29 PM
aero-addict

OK, thanks you guys, given the info you provided and from talking to MEGA on the phone I have decided to use a gear reduction and an APC 10x6 prop and a 3S 2100 Li-po battery. Thanks again for you input, you guys are a wealth of knowledge. Bart