Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Multiplex Magister as a first plane?

Old 08-28-2005, 12:43 PM
Fulcrum

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Multiplex Magister as a first plane?

I'm a totally beginner at r/c ,but I've lurking around r/c forums for a while. I've not tried out any r/c-simulators yet ,but I have approx 1000 hr at PC-flight sims over the last 10 years or so. So is there any chance that I can have a plane like the Multiplex Magister as a first plane? or should I buy something like an Kyosho Piper J3 cub- ready set instead? Any thoughts about that?

Regards
Morgan, Sweden
Old 08-29-2005, 04:44 AM
jooNorway

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Multiplex Magister as a first plane?

I would without doubt recommend the Magister. Tough, large and made by MPX which means it is no garbage.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:46 PM
joe84780
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Morgan,

The Magister is a good plane. Keep in mind the following though from my own personal experience. Plane is a little underpowered. Take offs from grass are tough. A large paved runway is really ideal. Have a large flying area to practice in. It's advertised as a Park flyer, but it's much larger than your standard park flyer. Understand that the stock battery has very limited flight time (5 minutes if you're good at throttle management). Consider upgrading to a 3000mah+ nimh pack for longer flights. Good luck! Also, a pc sim is completely different from an R/C sim. It will not prepare you much at all for flying r/c. If you have no r/c flying experience, then you're going to need instruction or at the very least, many hours on an R/C sim to have a chance at not totally destroying the Magister.

-Joe
Old 08-31-2005, 02:25 PM
Fulcrum

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the reply!
Regards
Morgan
Old 09-02-2005, 08:31 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Magister, in RTF form with the stock battery and motor weighs about 5 pounds. That means this plane will cause a lot of damage if you hit something or someone with it.

I would STRONGLY suggest you NOT fly this in an open park area or where people or property may be exposed. Join a club and get instruction.

This is a great trainer plane, but NOT a park flyer by any stretch of the imagination.

An 8 ounce GWS Tiger Moth is a park flyer. A 16 ounce Aerobird is a Parkflyer. An 84 ounce Magister is NOT a parkflyer, especially in the hands of a total newbie without the aid of an instructor and a buddy box.

I would be very nervous to fly this plane in an open park area myself. Just to much risk of hurting someone.