Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Help w/ Wheel Mod. for aerobird.

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Help w/ Wheel Mod. for aerobird.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 10:13 AM
camlf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help w/ Wheel Mod. for aerobird.

I have heared that the stock wheels are to small for grass landings withe the aerobird challenger. What size should I use? I only land on gravel now and the stock ones are good, but I will need to land on a mowed grass area with the club soon. thanx for any mod's and ideas. There are so many wheel sizes, I'm not sure where to start. And can I put then on the stock supports, or do some custom work.I really don't want to belly land. I find gear landings more fun. Thanx for your input.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:27 AM
Woody 51

Default RE: Help w/ Wheel Mod. for aerobird.

There really does not seem to be a wheel mod for the aerobird.
The usual fix when flying on grass is to remove the u/cart and handlaunch/belly land.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:18 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Take a look at the "rough field" option for the T-Hawk at www.readytoflyfun.com, or in a recent model magazine. That'll be what you need to do, but you need to be VERY weight conscious. The landing gear itself will need to be bent from thin aluminum, and the wheels will need to be lightweight foamie wheels at least 2" in diameter, bigger if you're flying off rough grass.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:43 PM
camlf

Thanx for the replys. I have alreay picked up some inch and a half foam featherlites and got a spare landing gear. I custom bent it for the wheels with some collars. the alm. wire would be lighter. I will try this mod and see how it pans out then try your reply. Thank you.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:59 PM
camlf

The plane took about and extra 10 feet just on the dirt/gravel road where I takeoff. I could tell the plane was heavier. It flew ok but did not loop well. the landing was nice. Ill try it on the grass at the club soon. if it does roll through the grass, I bet I will need 50 or more. feet before it lefts off.[X(]