Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

New to Hobby Live in Webster, MA.

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

New to Hobby Live in Webster, MA.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 12:34 PM
Dartel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Hobby Live in Webster, MA.

Greetings all,

I am Edward I am from Webster, Ma. and am looking to get into R/C Electric Airplane. Was hoping to find people near me to visit and learn from.
I do not own any equipment as of yet but am strongly concidering the following.
Radio: Futaba 7CA or 9CA (If I can find it cheap enough)
Planes: Mountain Models Magpie, will take time to build so might also get a GWS Slow Stick 300 or 400.
Not quite sure what all else I need to get going after those items.

Edward
Old 10-14-2005, 10:47 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: New to Hobby Live in Webster, MA.

Welcome to the hobby!

Good choice of radios! I have the 9C

Anything from Mountain Models is good! magpie is a great first plane!

How can we help?
Old 10-15-2005, 03:17 PM
Dartel

By living a little closer you would be helpful

I just went to Hog Heaven Hobbies in Sturbridge Ma. and ordered a GWS slow stick 400 for $35 he has a Futaba 7CAP/CHP for $250 and the 9C SUPER for $200 more looks like I will be getting the 7CAP it comes with 4 servos a Battery and I think a receiver. He says for $400-$450 I can have everything I will need to get up in the air including and extra battery pack a charger and a couple extra props. I have found the 7C cheaper online but since I ordered the plane through his store I feel I should get the rest there as well. I am still going to get the Magpie but it will take time to build so this way I can still learn to fly while I am building the bigger plane.

Edward
Old 10-16-2005, 09:15 AM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: Dartel

By living a little closer you would be helpful

I just went to Hog Heaven Hobbies in Sturbridge Ma. and ordered a GWS slow stick 400 for $35 he has a Futaba 7CAP/CHP for $250 and the 9C SUPER for $200 more looks like I will be getting the 7CAP it comes with 4 servos a Battery and I think a receiver. He says for $400-$450 I can have everything I will need to get up in the air including and extra battery pack a charger and a couple extra props. I have found the 7C cheaper online but since I ordered the plane through his store I feel I should get the rest there as well. I am still going to get the Magpie but it will take time to build so this way I can still learn to fly while I am building the bigger plane.

Edward
The 7C should serve you very well for a long time. I think it is easier to program than the Hitec Optic 6.

Are you gettting a custom package of receiver and servos? The 7C is typically packaged with standard sized components which will be too big for the slow stick. The servos are 1.5 oz each. The receiver is 1.5 oz. Way too heavy. The battery is a receiver battery, not a motor battery so you can't use it with the slow stick. It is for gas planes or sailplanes.

You want servos that are under 1 oz and .6 or less would be better. A reciever that is less than .7 oz would be good.

Better to save that weight for bigger battery packs than the dead weight of heavy electroncis that contribute little to the performance of the plane.

If the hobby shop did not tell you this they did you disservice. If you already purchase dit, get them to exchange it or take it back and get the right stuff. If you did not order it, negtiate for proper components or go to www.servocity.com and they will make a custom package for you.

I got my 9C there with a Hitec electron 6 receiver and 4 Hitec HS-81MG servos.

This Hitec flight pack would work well for the slow stick. Includes the speed control.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...er&FVPROFIL=++

Hitec HS 81s, GWS Naro or Futaba 3101 would all be good choices.

Recievers would include Hitec micro 555, electron 6, HFS-04MG, HFS-05ms. I am not a fan of the Hitec Feather, Futaba or GWS micro recievers due to their short range of 1000 feet or less. They would be OK for the Slow stick but I like a receiver with a little more range.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:01 PM
Dartel

First off thank you for your wonderful assistance.

I have not bought the Radio yet and it IS a full kit with 4 standard sized servos. I figured they would be useful later if I get a larger plane.
I spent so much time talking to the owner of the shop after he was closed I feel obligated to purchase everything I need to get the GWS Slow Stick into the air from his store. I do not think he does custom radio kits I will have to ask.

I was wondering though If you were to build a custom kit with plane from this place http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=1341
what would be your selections Based on the Slow Stick 400, Futaba 7CA, and Channel 41. after those selections I got lost.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:06 PM
aeajr

I would select

GWS Naro Std servos

Berg receiver if you have the money or GWS 6 channel/F if you don't
(Berg has 1 mile range, GWS 6 is 1000 feet, GWS 4 is 500 feet - that's not enough in my opinion)

9.6V Kahn 1050 stick pack

GWS MC 2002 Charger for a good charger ( pick this one)

GWS 400 speed control/JR ( universal connector )

How's that?