Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Aerobird Xtreme circuit board damage

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Aerobird Xtreme circuit board damage

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 07:25 PM
Windmill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerobird Xtreme circuit board damage

Hi, after I last crashed my Aerobird Xtreme the power cable came lose from the circuit board. I soldered it back on but now the servo (marked with a cross) keeps spinning in one direction. Does anyone have experiences with fixing the connectors on the board?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45205.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	228479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84256.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	228480  
Old 02-13-2005, 08:45 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Aerobird Xtreme circuit board damage

One issue may not have anything to do with the other. A crash severe enough to sever a power wire like that could easily damage the servo circuitry. That board must've taken a whallop.

What it sounds like to me is that the feedback potentiometer in the servo isn't doing its job. That little 3-wire cable that comes from the servo is connected to the pot. Either the pot itself, the cable, or the circuitry it's connected to on the board is damaged in some way.

Wish I could help troubleshoot a little more than that... My electronics experience is limited.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:22 PM
Windmill

Thank's for the reply, Matt.
I opened the servo to see if there's anything wrong with it but I couldn't tell if there was. Like you suggest, I think that there's something wrong with the feedback too. I'm confused by why there are three wires. Can you tell me how a servo really works?
Old 02-17-2005, 08:29 PM
mikersx02

I think your missing some pieces to your circuit board. Where that Molex connector goes in at the top of that picture, there is supposed to be a black heat sync on there. (next to where the power goes in...) hard to explain. Mine gets INCREDIBLY hot right now. (i think mine is broke, I have no throttle control.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:04 PM
Windmill

I know. I had to take the heat thing off to get to the screws for the board. Nevermind...I ended up buying a new fuselage :-(
Old 03-17-2005, 06:52 PM
whiteghostUK

If you do a search there is a lot of this happening !!!!

Mine was the same [&o] On coming into land it all went pearshaped and crashed !!

I presumed it was down to my flying but on inspection the FET ( the thing with the heatsink on )

had overheated causing the FET to burn out ! and the heat caused the soldered red wire to come loose [:@]

I soldered the wire back on but This caused the motor to run at full speed with no control..

I had to replace the FET with a better one which runs cooler !

The FET you need is 'IRLI3803' just replace the one on the board with this one !

You should have sent it back under warrenty !!!
Old 03-17-2005, 06:57 PM
whiteghostUK

ORIGINAL: whiteghostUK

PS the red wire to the motor goes on the center leg of the FET ...

Old 04-09-2005, 03:50 AM
Windmill

Thanks whiteghostUK. I bought a whole new fuselage and it does well so far. Do you think I should change the FET on this one?
Old 04-09-2005, 12:31 PM
whiteghostUK

I think the xtreme should get a slot for itself so that other new buyers don't open the thing up before exchanging it under warrenty !!!

I presume the origional fet is generating that much heat it is unsoldering the power cable [:@]

This could be just a bad batch of fets or they could all be under rated ?

One chap on the forum has changed his just to stop it overheating also he can keep more power to the motor
longer whilst not overheating the fet !!

I'd see how it goes if it happens again I'd get it replaced or fixed under warrenty !!
[8D]
Old 09-20-2005, 07:09 AM
windsailor

My ABX has a problem of engine speed and servos chattering (cutting in and out) when the plane is about 80 metres away which makes me lose control. Has anyone come across this problem before and what would be recommended to fix the problem. I have checked all connections and soldered joints which are OK. Any clues would be appreciated, cause I dont want to have to buy a new fuse and IC board to fix the problem.