Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

GWS Formosa problems....

Old 10-10-2005, 07:05 PM
insaneclown

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default GWS Formosa problems....

I bought a GWS Formosa a while back and just got around to building it. I used pixie speed controller, HS-55 servos and GWS micro radio. Anyway, I followed the directions to the T. Took it out for first flight today, took off, and immediately went into a dive to the left. I tried to counteract this by adjusting the rudder and aerialons(probably spelt wrong lol) but could not seem to get the dive corrected. Over and over again, this happened. Im thinking that maybe i should have mounted the motor slightly to the to the right to counteract the torque. Im gonna try this. Any suggestions or should this work. I dont have alot of money and if I ruin this plane Ill probably stop rc flight for a while. Please help.......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98266.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	337282  
Old 10-11-2005, 12:57 AM
Time Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GWS Formosa problems....

A couple of questions first:

Is this your first plane?

Is the center of gravity correct, and maybe adjusted a little on the nose heavy end of things (but within specs)?

Have you adjusted the throws for low rates?

When you pull back on the elevator, are you adding any left aileron without knowing it?

Lastly, it looks as if the ailerons aren't set up correctly--the left one looks like it is higher than the right. That'll dip the wing for sure.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:13 PM
insaneclown

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I just crushed the front of it today. Broke the whole engine out. Maybe I'll rebuild the front of it. It seems to be something like the torqe that is rollin it. I was trimming the left aileron up and it still didnt fix it. I got the CG perfect according to the manual. I even added some right rudder along with the aileron but it still rolled to the left and dived. And to your question about this being my first plane. No. It is my third park flyer. First mini, then freedom flyer, and now this. I just couldnt get it to stop doing it. I tried everything. Is it necessary to give about 2% right thrust on a plane like this. Its not 3D capable but its a little stunt plane. Sad.................
Old 10-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Time Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't think there is enough power in the stock configuration to create problems with torque.

Trimming the left aileron up will make it bank to the left. I would think that is your problem.