Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

Multiplex EasyStar vs. Graupner Tipsy as first RC plane

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.
View Poll Results: A poll
Multiplex EasyStar
81.25%
Graupner Tipsy
18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Multiplex EasyStar vs. Graupner Tipsy as first RC plane

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 04:48 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Multiplex EasyStar vs. Graupner Tipsy as first RC plane

Hi All,

This is my first post here. There are a TON of forums here, too many probably... I could have posted this in any of about 6 others, and it would've still been appropriate.

I haven't even bought a plane yet, nor have I ever flown one. So this is going to be my first plane. I've been doing hours & hours of reading on the internet, and I'd like to start with a durable foamy with rear pusher prop.

Between these two planes, which do you think is a better choice?

[link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/easystar.htm]Multiplex EasyStar[/link]

[link=http://www.hobby-lobby.com/tipsy.htm]Graupner Tipsy[/link]

Easystar:
[ul][*] Big. Might be better in breezy conditions?[*] Two-piece wing, easier to transport[*] 400 class motor may be have more thrust than the 280 on the Tipsy. Not sure though, as this is a bigger plane too...[*] Bigger fuselage may be better for battery and/or motor upgrades later?
[/ul]

Tipsy
[ul][*] 30 minute flight times are common.[*] Doubles as a glider, with power-assist when necessary/desired[*] One-piece wing. Easier alignment likely?[*] Since this doubles as a glider, would I be less likely to be bored with it down the road?[*] Would the smaller glider-type design mean it's going to be more problematic in a breeze?
[/ul]

I'm concerned about the breeze-worthiness because it is often gusty in my neck of the woods. (north suburban Chicago area)

I'm attracted to the long flight times and glider abilities of the Tipsy. But maybe the EasyStar is more stable in a breeze or sudden gust of wind?

From your collective experience, what do you think would be the better starter?

I'm going to be starting alone, without an instructor, and with only about $300 max, for what it's worth.

Thanks!

-Jeremy
Old 10-10-2005, 07:10 AM
flyranger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Multiplex EasyStar vs. Graupner Tipsy as first RC plane

Alone and without an instructor, you will not be happy with the Tipsy. Yeah, it's a very cool looking airplane but I completely crushed the nose of mine on the first launch. It is NOT a slow flyer. You have to really heave that sucker to get it to flying speed which means getting back on the sticks as soon as possible. The foam used in the wing is not strong and the wing edges chip easily. The stock power system is underpowered for most new flyers. I needed enough power to get a "mistake" high in a hurry. Replaced the stock motor (yeah, you have to cut it out of the foam, motor is installed by epoxy) with an E-flite Park 370 inrunner running the stock folding prop. Now it was a much better flyer. I snapped the wing pulling an inside loop in a moderate (3mph) wind. Also you have to use the Grapner recommended battery pack which is VERY expensive for what you get due to the limited space in the fuse. No experience with the EasyStar, lost lots of money on the Tipsy!
My recommended first plane is the GWS Slow Stick. Even with the stock 400 brushed motor/gearbox, it takes off from grass and lands easily.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Jeremy Z

ORIGINAL: flyranger
My recommended first plane is the GWS Slow Stick. Even with the stock 400 brushed motor/gearbox, it takes off from grass and lands easily.
I've seen a ton of recommendations for the Slow Stick. But I've also read that it isn't good an any wind. Since it is usually not calm conditions in my neck of the woods, this scared me off right away. Also, with the front prop, it seems like it would be prone to motor shaft bending and prop breakage. (like when you smashed in the nose of your Tipsy) The stick body doesn't do it for me. I know that's silly. I do love the paint job though, with the Iron Crosses.

I guess I'm leaning more toward the EasyStar & T-Hawk now...

Keep it coming!

Jeremy
Old 10-10-2005, 04:56 PM
Solcat

The Easystar is the new king of trainers. It's much tougher than the Terry. The ES is built with a mix of EPP and EPS making it light and very tough. It can handle wind up to 20 mph with it's speed 400. Only drawback, at least compared to a slow stick is it needs about a soccer field to fly in. The Terry is very fragile. It beat out all other planes on the market at http://plawner.net/3/1st_plane/
The Slow Stick was considered a bad choice for beginners because of the propeller being in front and it being so fragile.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:57 PM
inlinetwin

You will never break the easystar. I highly recommend this aircraft.

I got bored after I learned (with no instructor in about 5 days: level flight, figure 8, and loops) and dropped a mega 16/15/5 in with 3s 2000 maH lipo. It can do multiple loops, flys very fast, and still able to cruise by very slow. I had a lot of fun with it doing touch and go's in the grass.

BTW I flew mine in a baseball diamond, it really doesn't need alot of airspace.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:42 PM
twmoody

Having all three planes (Slow Stick, Easy Star and Tipsy) I would strongly recommend the Easy Star over the other 2. The Tipsy is a great plane IF you are already a pretty good pilot. The Slow Stick is the plane I learned with and I used to recommend it but that was before the Easy Star. The Easy Star is a lot more damage resistant than either of the others.

Tom Moody
Old 10-11-2005, 08:39 PM
Jeremy Z

Thanks for the advice fellas. I wound up getting too impatient and buying a T-Hawk online later the next day! It was only $213 shipped, with three batteries, 1 hour charger, 27 MHz radio, (I know...) a spare wing, spare rudder, spare stabilizer... If it flies worth a damn, it will have been money well spent. The thing that really sold me on it was all of the feedback people had written to the site saying how much of a beating it can take.

Now wish me luck! I'll write more when I've learned a thing or two.

Jeremy