Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

help with my slo-v

Old 10-16-2005, 10:02 AM
castle_ahh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default help with my slo-v

i just got back from flying it for the first time.
see everytime i launch it it goes up and either stallls or does a loop and crashes face first (damaged the gear box and the motor moves, vcant fly till i reapir it)
the manual suggested that the wind was too high, but there is no wind on this day.
i have tried adjusting the wings foward and back.
i tried launching it wiht half power and no power, still it does this.

can anyone help me?
Old 10-16-2005, 12:08 PM
jjflash

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: help with my slo-v

I have a slo v that nosed dive first flight and then started doing what yours does. The servos slid forward and got the v-tail elevators out of adjustment. I slid servo pack into place and used expoxy to keep it there. The small screw that is used for that purpose seems to just tear thru the carbon fiber fuse. I am a beginner but I hope this helps.

JJ
Old 10-16-2005, 05:05 PM
castle_ahh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

na, the problem i have, is it was doing this from the begining, never got a single flight out of it, and just bought it yesterday.

i looked at what your saying, and that didnt happen wiht mine. kind of sad, as i wish i had a soulution to fix it.

(note, the damage caused by this is followed.
the geard box is broke
the carbon rod is broken and of no use
the prop shaft is jammed)

and it wasnt even my fault, as it did this out of the box, and i wsant even messing wiht the controls, it did it just a second after launch.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:29 PM
jjflash

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I feel your pain man! Good news is all those parts are cheap and/or fixable. Carbon fiber fuselage...JB Weld makes it stronger than new. My motor looked like it was hanging by theads, laid it straight and glued it and it never broke in that spot again. Motor & gear box housing broke open....hose clamp...stronger than before and could adjust gear mesh. I would try that first and adjust your elevators so when you have batterys on and transmitter on adjust it straight with rest of tail. After you get use to flying then if you want buy a new fuselage=10.44; shaft and gear=2.29 or whole gear box with saft and gear=6.99.

JJ
Old 10-16-2005, 07:38 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ditto on the tail, you are describing perfectly a Slo-V with too much up elevator.
Obvious if it tried to loop. Again make sure they are dead level. Launch it and use the trim adjustment to set it for level flight at about 3/4 throttle. Land it and reset the elevators to where you had to adjust them to. Note: above 3/4 throttle it will be normal for it to gain altitude.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:02 AM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

and it wasnt even my fault, as it did this out of the box, and i wsant even messing wiht the controls, it did it just a second after launch.
Have you flown before? You are not clear as to what you did or did not do. The jury is still out on the "it wasn't even my fault" part. You weren't messing with the controls? How did you expect it to fly? They don't fly by themselves. You HAVE to mess with the controls! If you didn't do it, you should have pushed forward on the controls to stop it from climbing.

Explain a little more what you did and maybe we can help better.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:33 PM
castle_ahh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

okay i will

i put the throtal abouyt 3/4, as the instructions say full, but i have learned better, as i have flown before.
i threw it by hand, abnd before i could use my right hand (i use that one to launch it) to the stick it wen up into a loop and crashed.
the trimming things on the side of the controler was at level, the tail thinggys i dint check, as ill have to do that, maybee thats what messed up.
umm... lets see thats about it.

thanks for the advise, ill ahve to gets some jb weld
Old 10-17-2005, 03:43 PM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If it went up that fast, maybe you should setting the elevator trim all the way down. Also, check that the plane is balanced. If it's tail heavy it could help cause the loop.

Good luck!
Old 10-17-2005, 03:56 PM
castle_ahh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i think i found something else out.

see the the clevis on the push prods would stay shut for me so i used ducttape to close them on to the control horn
(im a ducttape fanatic, check my site.http://zodiatic.tripod.com/dtx)

anyhow.
when i taped the push rod on one it was the bottom hole on the control horn and the other onbe was mistakenly put on the one above it. (the second one)

so maybee this had some affect on it?
maybee it was what caused it and nothing else?

ill have to test this when i get my jb weld,
leaving after this post.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:52 PM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It would certainly cause it not to fly right!
Old 10-18-2005, 04:59 PM
castle_ahh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i think i found somehting.

see in flight my tail will twist and flex, i mean a lot, enought to cause it to fly left then right or somethihng.
looks like it shouldnt do that as much.

also it keeps doing the upp thinngy, i leveled the tail, (i used my levels and squares on it to get close)
and it has a tendacy to do this.

i can give it up stick (makes it go down) and it will keep it somewhat level.

the jb weld did not hold, so i an going to get a new tail and carbon rod with a gear box.

also the motor seemed really hot after just a short flight (till crash time, lol)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55870.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	340837  
Old 10-18-2005, 08:09 PM
jjflash

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm sorry your JB Weld didn't work. Did you mix it correct? It is a epoxy glue and very strong. I had to smear it into the threads of the carbon fibor fuselage. The thin foam tail can crease and weaken and cause it to flutter. I used large stick on aluminum mail box numbers and cut a 2 inch strip to put under the tail mounting bracket and bend to the angle the tail sound be. That solved my tail problems, hope it helps yours.

JB
Old 10-19-2005, 07:13 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If the tail assy is flexing that much, you probably have the C/F fuselage broken a lot worse then you think. This could also be causing your nose up condition, as the tail is not being fully supported by the fuselage, in the air. Instead of the fuselage holding the tail secure, the tail is rotating up at the rear, due to the force of the air pushing it up, as the wing and tail are hold ing the plane up. How flight works, the wings support the bird in flight. The tail moving up,caused by failure in the fuselage, will cause an up elevator condition, as the fuselage is not holding it in place. In flight the fuselage instead of being straight, it looks more like a banana.

Motor should not be getting hot. If it is, it means excessive amp drawl. Binding in the gear box, or a motor going bad.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:19 PM
castle_ahh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well i order replacement parts, along with a new tail.
as the black thinggy to hold it to the cb rod rip throught it in a place or two.

question. how far should the screws be that hold it to the plane? the ones that insert under the tail and screw in to hold it into place)
i ahd mine all the way in.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:30 PM
castle_ahh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jjflash

I'm sorry your JB Weld didn't work. Did you mix it correct? It is a epoxy glue and very strong. I had to smear it into the threads of the carbon fibor fuselage. The thin foam tail can crease and weaken and cause it to flutter. I used large stick on aluminum mail box numbers and cut a 2 inch strip to put under the tail mounting bracket and bend to the angle the tail sound be. That solved my tail problems, hope it helps yours.

JB
ohh, i jsut got done taking all the parts off of it so that i could install them on my new parts tommorrow and discovered that the break was not accually the original one, but it was right in front of it and othe edge of were i applied the jb weld.

so it did hold.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:21 PM
castle_ahh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

okay jsu tgot the replacement parts, took longer than expected, but got them

so when installing the tail, how far should screw the tail screws in?
(the ones that insert under the control rod and go up into the tail to hold it into the v slot on the back of the plane)
Old 10-24-2005, 07:09 PM
jjflash

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

They go thru the bottom and extend out thru the top, finger tight, enough to pull the tail down into the "V" position and to keep it from slipping.

jj
Old 10-25-2005, 01:51 PM
Greg Y

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Also, when you install the foam v-tail assembly into the bracket and use the two screws to tighten, it is possible that you may need to tighten the rear screw more to lower the incidence ot the entire tail assebly. I had this happen on a Challenger with a v-tail and the flight with the tail incidence incorrect was very interesting (in a bad way).

To set this incidence correctly, it may take a test flight or two to get it trimmed correctly. This is where it pays to have an experienced flyer to fly with.