Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

what do i need to get my slow stick in the air?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

what do i need to get my slow stick in the air?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 03:41 PM
Justwonderin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do i need to get my slow stick in the air?

hi, im looking into getting a slow stick and see them for anywere from $21 to $33 arf. I was looking at www.gwsexpert.com and i was wondering if you konw the differnce between the 3 or 4 slow sticks they have. I was wondering what they come with and what i need. I have some electronics for another plane i used and was wondering if you could tell me what i still need with the stuff that i have. I have a a hitec single stick 3 channel radio and two hitec hs-81 micro servos. Not sure if one works though. I also have a hitec micro 555 receiver. If you know please tell me if these things will work for the slow stick. All these parts can be viewed at www.zagi.com if i didnt give enough info on them. If you know please tell me what i need and about how much it will cost. Also if you can please tell me the best selection of the three slow sticks at www.gwsexpert.com thanks. any help would be great Also what would be a better motor a 400 a 350 or a 300? Which is faster? And could i make it go faster with a differnt prop? thanks

Also if i bought the best battery i could for the plane how long would the flight time last? And what would be the minimum flight time with the worst battery?
Old 03-12-2005, 06:27 PM
twmoody

Default RE: what do i need to get my slow stick in the air?

Hi Just,

I fly my SlowStik with a 555 receiver and full size servoes so you will be alright with your hs81s.

The SlowStik you want is the EPS300C. It is $34 on the site you had.

I fly mine with 7 KAN 1050 NIMH batteries and can get about 15 min flying on a charge.

Tom Moody
Old 03-12-2005, 07:08 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your SS will work fine with the HS 81's and the 555. With these electrics, you always want to keep them as light as possible, but the SS will carry a bit of weight well.

The packs Twmoody suggested are great: I get 22 minutes off a 7 cell KAN 1050 mah pack.

I have also flown with smaller 7 cell 650 mah packs and got less time from them: around 12 minutes.

The plane flys a bit more 'solidly' with the heavier packs. You don't want to go too heavy though--the 1050's are as big as I'd go. Cheap Battery Packs is a good place to get packs .

The Slow Stick is not really designed as a fast plane. I'd stick with the recommended 11x8 prop (do order more of these and maybe an extra prop shaft!) and enjoy the plane for what it is. When you're ready for more speed, you can swap all the electronics into something else.

Just remember the warning: Do your maidens in as close to zero wind as possible. I don't judge slow stick weather by whether or not I can feel the wind. I usually look at the 'turbines' on the top of my house that vent the hot air from the attic: if they are moving any faster than barely moving, I usually take another plane to the park. Not that you can't fly the SS in winds--you can once you get accustomed to it. It's just that wind pushes the SS all over the place and much of your flying becomes wind correction.

Good luck.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:46 PM
Justwonderin

what will i still need to get my slow stick in the air and why is the 300 motor better than the 400??
Old 03-19-2005, 03:50 PM
foamer
My Feedback: (4)

package deal every thing you need slow stick and all compones + radio

http://www.rconlineshop.com/product....0PACKAGE%20SET
Old 03-23-2005, 01:07 PM
jeffames

I just yesterday purchased the GWS Slow Stick kit ($35), a JR 6102PCM 6-channel transmitter ($209) normally $269 but they gave me a $15 credit for each of the 4 servos included w/radio. The SS requires only two servos, and they must be smaller than the ones that come with most Tx radios. I bought two Hitec HS55 mini servos ($17 each), a GWS ICS300 speed control ($10), two 7-cell 1050mah NiMH battery packs ($25 each), and I was advised to buy a couple extra props ($1.75 each) just in case! I already have a charger so it is not included in the following total. I was given a 5% discount for buying a complete "package deal" all together. Most hobby stores will give some sort of discount to a package deal as they are making a good profit margin, I would suggest asking about a discount while you are gathering your pile of boxes at the parts counter. You will find that even 5% makes a good difference when you buying so much equipment that the price starts to soar a bit higher than most planes will their first time off the ground. Altogether with tax and discounts applied I was out the door with a complete setup for about $350. Not too bad for an entry level setup that provides me with plenty of radio power to take this hobby to the next level when I am ready. The Tx was the most costly item, but this one provides 10 model memory and allows for channel mixing when I get into full aileron and rudder control. The JR radios also come complete with a rechargeable NiCD pack and charger...Woo Hoo, no more AA bricks from Costco!

Jeff (self proclaimed newbie)
GWS Slow Stick, JR 6102PCM
(not yet airborne, hopefully Easter Sunday!)
Old 03-24-2005, 09:00 PM
foamer

Very easy plane to fly you will love it keep the nose up on the landings or you will need those props
Old 03-25-2005, 03:27 PM
Tweet
My Feedback: (1)

One good way to save props is to cut the power completely just prior to touchdown.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:16 AM
parkguy

I started a site all about the SLOWSTICK 300 Kit I offer parts accessories and even a building service for those who would rather spend more time flying the building!

http://sandiego.rchomepage.com

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46214.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	342165  
Old 10-26-2005, 03:27 PM
smokingwreckage

I fly my Slow stick with a Himax 20254266 gear motor, 8x6 APC Slo-Flyer prop, Phoenix 25 ESC, Hitec 55, 4 Hitec HS-55 servos, and 900mAh 3S1P lithium polymer made from cell phone batteries. Modifications include wing brace holders with no dihedral, ailerons, and Depron ribs glued under the wings between the ailerons and tips. Vertical performance is unlimited, as it takes off from a 4x4 foot table and goes straight up. Take-off rolls on grass are about 4 feet. 6-foot loops are easy, as well as inverted with flight with 25% down elevator. Rolls at speed are a bit over one second. Knife-edge is not possible. Flight times run from 8-25 minutes depending on how I fly. It's a blast for a cheesy little cheap airplane.

The Slow Stick will carry the HS-81s and 555, but they are overkill. If you have them, use them.

Brushless motors make more power and use less electricity than can motors. At equal performance levels, brushless motors run longer because they are more efficient.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:25 PM
Gunkel

Smoking wreakage, do you have any pics of your wing mods. I run an axi 2212/16 3 cell kokam 11-4.7 prop, hs 55's on the wings for my ailerons, I have cut the wings tips off as well. Plane hand launches straight up, but on dives and spins, I have pretty severe wing shudder. I have added a few carbon fiber strips to the leading and trailing edges of the wings which has helped alot, but I still suffer some shudder. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2005, 07:15 PM
smokingwreckage

I don't have a camera so no pics. Pretty simple, though. I have a broken SS wing, so I cut it on a line extending forward from the outer end of the aileron. Then I stood the severed wingtip on a piece of Depron and traced the shape of the bottom. I drew a line on the Depron from the leading edge to about 1.5cm below the trailing edge. Then I cut that figure out and glued it just out from the aileron enough there would be no interference.

Next wing mod will be a symmetrical wing made from gluing two wings together.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:56 AM
Gunkel

I like the idea of glueing 2 wings together, I will have to give that a whirl, ailerons might be a little tricky, but with a little work, might work well. Thanks for the advise on the wing!