Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

E-Starter = A REAL trainer!

Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

E-Starter = A REAL trainer!

Old 10-28-2005, 12:53 PM
chili300
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Starter = A REAL trainer!

My E-starter showed me how to fly yesterday. I was 2 min. into my 10th flight with this plane (30' up) when I saw the battery eject from the plane and fall to the ground. I froze in horror as I realized the plane was now on it's own. I calmed down within moments as watch the ES gently turn into the wind and start to descend on an absolutely perfect glide slope. 50 yds later it performed a perfect landing (far better than any I have done to date).

As a self-taught beginner, this gives me great confidence in this plane. It flew itself better than I can fly it!

When I dissect this incident, I realize how lucky I actually was. The whole thing started when one blade of the prop decided to separate itself from the rest of the plane. The resulting vibration caused the battery hatch to pop open, which allowed the battery to exit the plane in .75 seconds flat! The Deans micro connector did not even attempt to break the fall. The luck comes in as follows: 1. The plane was flying straight and level at the time. 2. It was heading into the wind. 3. It was at the far down-wind end of the field leaving the entire (football) field to land on. If any of these 3 factors were not the same, I think the results would be a multi-piece airplane.

Anyway, the design of this airplane is really pretty good. The CG of the plane without the battery is "spot on". This is what allowed the plane to act like a glider and perform a perfect landing. With the battery installed (9.6V GWS AAA) the CG moves forward to the bamboo spar. When I try to glide in, the heavier weight and forward CG prevent that perfect glide slope as performed by my ghost pilot.

This is my second airplane. I graduated from a hobbyzone Firebird II (86 flights). I've crashed 3 times in times in 10 flights to-date and am starting to get the hang of this aileron plane. I did a lot reading on many forums and was worried about the performance of the 400 motor. Many people stated the plane was a slug or could barely ROG. I found the opposite to be true.
This plane literal jumps off the ground within 30' and climbs with authority. It's a little twitchy in the wind (by wind I mean 8-15mph) and a little scary your first couple times but overall I really like this plane!

THANKS to all who have posted here and other places. I could never have done this without all the great advice!

(BTW - my first post at RCU!)

chili300
Old 10-28-2005, 01:06 PM
chili300
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: E-Starter = A REAL trainer!

Here's the way I setup my E-Starter:

TX: JR XF631 (6 ch)
RX JR R6UL
Servos (X3): JR SM15
ESC: Castle Creations Pixie 20P
Battery: GWS 9.6V AAA NiMh 750 mah
Prop: GWS EP1080
Motor GWS 400 w/3:1 gearbox
Deans Micro Connectors
Dubro Mini EZ conectors on servo arms
Polycrylic/.5 glass cloth reinforced winglets.

Chili300
Old 10-28-2005, 02:42 PM
flmlm

Default RE: E-Starter = A REAL trainer!

Chili300,

Like you I used the EStarter as my aileron trainer and it worked out just great with the GWS 400. Despite all the abuse I dished out, a little epoxy here and there kept it flying well enough for me to learn on and eventually I mastered the EStarter. I've still got an EStarter in the hanger and have flown it on those days when I just want to relax and cruise around. Good luck and have fun with it.

Regards
Mike