Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Hooking everything up

Old 10-25-2005, 12:07 PM
rfelton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooking everything up

I'm new to electric planes and have the components ready to install in a small Gypsy park flyer. I understand everything except where the speed control plugs into the JR GWS 4 channel receiver. Does the speed control plug into the throttle connector? Does the rudder plug into the aileron connector (since I'm using my JR 8103) so I can fly it with the right stick. Where does the receiver get it's power from (since the lone battery hooks up to the speed control)? What does the "Rudder/Battery" designation mean in the receivers #4 channel? The instructions make no mention of electric hook up. Thanks for any help!
Old 10-25-2005, 03:02 PM
AJ1202

Default RE: Hooking everything up

I had almost the exact same question a while back and here is a copy of the answer given to me
I hope this helps, it came from a helpfull flyer on another thread

On a regular radio the channels are as follows:
Right Stick
channel 1: ailerons
channel 2: elevator
Left Stick
channel 3: throttle
channel 4: rudder

You would move the servo plug from channel 4 to channel 1 thusly making your main control surface on the same stick. Throttle up and then use the right stick to control where the plane goes., if you are using a 3 channel plane. On a four channel, it's basically the same but instead of using the rudder to turn left and right, you are using the elevator and ailerons and maybe some rudder depending on the type of flying you are doing.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:09 PM
INeedHelp
My Feedback: (1)

Speed control goes on channel one for a JR receiver. After that I cant remember off the top of my head. The above post is true for a Futaba/Hitec receiver.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:16 PM
AJ1202

Opps your right he did say JR
Sorry RFelto but maybe this will still get you where you need to be
Old 10-25-2005, 03:20 PM
rfelton

Thanks guys! Now I think I can hook this up and not have a smoke system where I didn't want one....
Old 10-25-2005, 05:42 PM
jdetray

One more tip: Don't have a prop on your motor when you power up your system for the first time!

Should your ESC be plugged into the wrong channel or the throttle channel be reversed, you don't want the motor to start unexpectedly.

- Jeff
Old 10-27-2005, 10:26 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the reciever, where it says 'rudder/bat, it means you plug a Y connector into the reciever and plug the batt on one side and the rudder servo on the other. This is when you use a conventional batt. pack. Rcvr gets its power through the speed controller where it plugs into the rudder channel. There are two bus bars in the reciever, one plus, one minus that power all the servos. When you plug the ESC in it feed power to the bus bars, therefore all the servos. The third wire is the signal wire that tells the servo what to do. Hope this isn't to confusing.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:32 AM
rfelton

Thanks, Gord

Very clear...no confusion at all.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:08 PM
bil2
My Feedback: (5)

Well, I wasn't confused till I read Gord's reply!
Old 11-09-2005, 05:15 PM
Flypaper 2

What part didn't you dig Bil2 ? Be glad to try to clarify it.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:41 PM
bil2

I can't find anyplace on my receiver where it says 'rudder/bat' and am not sure (about much-I'm a rookie!) what the bus bars are. Are they visible? I don't see them. And my servos have 5 wires, so which one is the 3rd wire? The major problem I have is that I don't know enough to ask a good question, if you can understand that. Thanks for trying tho. Bil
Old 11-09-2005, 11:25 PM
Flypaper 2

Bil2:
Not all rcvrs. are marked that way, especially the higher channel ones. Actually the batt can be plugged into any unused channel. The bus bar is just a generic name for a bar where many wires, all with the same purpose can be connected. It's two metal strips on the rcvr. circuit board right under where the plug pins are. I can learn something too. Don't know of any servos that have five wires What brand of radio system do you have ? The three wire systems are red wire is batt +. Black or brown wire is batt. -- and white or yellow is signal wire that tell the servo where to go.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:31 AM
bil2

Gord, these servos are in a RTF from Megatech (I know - Mega'junk' is one of the nicer names I've heard them called, and it seems appropriate). It also has a circuit board, for lack of a better term. I don't see an ESC or receiver, as such; everything plugs into the board. Prolly some proprietary (sp?) deal. Not sure what all those wires are for. Mega-weird. Bil
Old 11-10-2005, 05:00 PM
rfelton

Ok guys, I got everything plugged in and the plane flies great. I am concerned about the receiver though. When I did the standard range check of about 100 feet with antenna completely down, I had obvious lack of control. With the antenna up an inch or so it was better. I have a couple of standard receivers laying around. Could they be used instead of this little "micro job" one that I'm using? The weight difference is minimal.

Rog
Old 11-10-2005, 05:58 PM
bil2

I think that range check at 100 feet with the antenna retracted all the way is a little long. If it works fine at 100 w/ just an inch of the antenna, it seems to me that yr rcvr is working properly, as is the tx. I guess we'll see what others have to say. Good luck. Bil
Old 11-11-2005, 07:43 AM
Flypaper 2

Rog:
I'd can the Gws rcvr. I have one that started out all right then went downhill with glitches. Ok if you fly alone but if others are around it will glitch. Full size rcvrs work fine. A little heavier but not enough to worry about for the better reliability.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:04 AM
rfelton

Thanks for the great responses. I think the GWS receiver will make a great holder for paper clips, Xacto blades, etc. I can always count on you guys for good advice when you're sober...lol

Rog
Old 11-11-2005, 10:54 AM
INeedHelp
My Feedback: (1)

Try adding about 10 inches of 24 guage wire to the antenna. I used get get alot of glitching with my GWS receivers until I did and now I don't get any. They have been great for me for a few months now.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:29 AM
rfelton

Adding more antenna wire could help but how much depends on the wavelength of the signal I believe. Has anyone contacted the GWS manufacturer(s) to get their input? I can't believe they would put those short antenna wires on their receivers just to save a few cents. Thanks for the tip...

Rog
Old 11-11-2005, 12:51 PM
Flypaper 2

Mine is an earlier one with the 39 on. one before they shortened it. I still use it for bench work, setting up servos etc. although I made a short one, base loaded 10 ins. long that I use on 1/2 a dozen other rcvrs. with no problems.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:59 PM
rfelton

Well, longer is always better...at least that's what my wife keeps telling me. I'll add some to the antenna and see what happens. With the transmitter antenna completely down, the GWS receiver fails at a distance of only 30 feet or so and all the surfaces go crazy. I'm not confident in this receiver at all.

Thanks Gord,

Rog
Old 11-11-2005, 05:11 PM
Flypaper 2

http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadgets/flywire.htm This is the short ant. if you want to make one, Rog. Otherwise the standard length for 72 MH is 39 in. Have fun. The short one is great as you can put it right inside the fuse or tape it to the side.