Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

Hobbico Superstar

Old 11-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Starmoon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Hobbico Superstar

I'm going to get this plane!!!! I've watched the vids and it looks like this plane will work AWESOME. It does look a little fast though...has anyone taught themselves to fly with this plane? What should I look for?
Old 11-14-2005, 04:12 PM
blueline
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Hobbico Superstar

Be cautious, I was very, very unhappy with mine, so much so that I sold it shortly after it was purchased. I never got off the ground no matter the throttle position, hand launching, two different battery packs, etc, etc, etc.
Its grossly underpowered, so after I bought it i'm then told I need to sink another $200-$300 in it via Lipo's & brushless setup- I don't think so! If you browse into the numerous threads in the verious forums out there i'm sure you see the other unhappy customers that I came across too.

My two cents, I ended up going the Mountain Models route and could'nt be happier. I hope this info helps you and saves you some cash.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:30 PM
rcbif

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm getting one soon to! I heard it is underpowered but all it needs is some nice 7-cell batts and GD-600 gear drive. Here's tons of info on these planes and lots of happy coustomers at rcgroups.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395463
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257186
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311392
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292027

I cant wait to get my hands on one. Just read the threads and get hooked
Old 11-14-2005, 04:35 PM
rcbif

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

a few reviews too.
http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4181
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=577 - ha, atleast someone here likes it.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:57 AM
Starmoon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've changed my mind....the Super decathleon is going be my plane now...I LOVE its looks, and the fact it will fly pretty much out of the box.....
Old 12-03-2005, 03:02 PM
Mclarenhpi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I learned to fly with the superstar ep. I dont beleive it is underpowered becasue I flew mine quite well with its power supply and I went very high in the air about 400ft! And this was all stock with the Nicd pack. However I have gone to Nimh 7 cell 2000mah cells from great planes and all I did was replace the stock engine with another stock one becasue I bent the shaft in a crash. Besides that the plane flies well and lands nice too.
Sam
Old 12-28-2005, 10:33 PM
jkkrobbins

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In the Superstar EP the battery is not anchored, even when attached to
the velcro. The battery freely slides. The landed on its nose from a
height of just a few feet and the front of the fuselage was damaged very
badly. I took the plane to the nearest hobby shop and was informed that
the majority of the damage occurred because the battery slid forward.

The product manual says nothing about anchoring the battery. It is
ironic that everything else in the plane is secured except for the
absolute heaviest object! I have looked and looked and see no way to
prevent the battery from sliding back and forth without modifying the
plane, which you say not to do!

Needless to say, I'm quite displeased with this poor design.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:55 PM
Greg Covey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's ok to have an opinion on the Superstar EP and even be disappointed with your results, but, as I have seen so often in the past, it is always the plane design that gets blamed for less than expected results.

In my [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=577]review[/link] of the Superstar EP for RC Universe, you can see a video of it flying completely stock. It is not underpowered but has relatively short flight times.

The plane is a real floater that is nearly impossible to stall. When you do stall it, the plane drops its nose and continues flying. The battery is not only held in place by Velcro straps but by two balsa blocks to maintain the correct CG. If unsatisfied with that scenario, it is an easy task to lay down some sticky-back Velcro for additional hold.

Replacement parts are available including power systems. The simple design of the plane makes it a joy to tinker with to your own satisfaction.

Perhaps the passion that evolves in future projects should be directed to enjoying the challenge of making it work for you instead of creating a high level of frustration.

Starmoon,

You can also see my review of the Super Decathlon [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=492]here[/link]. Be sure to read the last two sentences of my summary which I will repeat below.

Since the plane flies true to its scale heritage, I recommend it for intermediate to advanced fliers only. The Super Decathlon is a good way for seasoned pilots to enjoy a stress-free outing in the backyard or just down the street!
Old 12-29-2005, 07:20 PM
jkkrobbins

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There are 2 balsa blocks that serve as a backstop. And there is a balsa bulkhead that serves as a forward stop. However, the batter can move a couple inches between stops. The velcro straps do not provide enough friction to keep the battery anchored. Unless I've missed something obvious, the battery can and WILL move back and forth a couple of inches. Again, this is without modifying the plane, which the manufacturer quite clearly says not to do.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:57 PM
mmc205

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I bought the superstar EP about a year ago and learned on it. I trained myself via a simulator and then did my first solo on it. I have since moved on to 3D flying and aerobatic electric flying but decided to modify the ol trainer and have some more fun. Initially i canned the original motor and put a reverse magnetic mayhem with a 2.5:1 gear drive and swung a 12x8 prop with it. I junked the stock battery pack and got some 3000 mah nimh 8.4 V packs from www.batteryspace.com for about $15 each. It flew pretty well like this. Powerful enough to ROG from short or tall grass, even light snow. I believe it weighed about 42 ounces and made about 25 ounces of thrust. After about 8months of unuse, i decided to change the power system. I left the old motor on, regeared 3.8:1, same 12x8 prop, and put 2 11.1 V 1800mah lipo packs in parallel for an equivalent 11.1V 3600 mah pack. I dropped about 6 ounces, added some capacity and some voltage. I also added ailerons just for the heck of it. The plane now weights roughly 36 ounces, and creates about 36 ounces of thrust. I added only $10 in hardware, and $60 in lipo packs for this performance gain. Remember guys, you don't have to have brushless to get good power. The magnetic mayhem is at 11.1 Volts and pulling 21 amps at full throttle. Every good old brushed motors can do the trick. In my opinion, its the power gain and weight saving that lipos offer that really make the difference. If you can only spend money on one thing, get the lipos, keep the brushed motor. If anyone would like more details on this transition, shoot me an email at
mmc205@hotmail.com
I'll try and post pictures if i remember.