Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

not so novice pilot looking for next plane.. help?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

not so novice pilot looking for next plane.. help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 11:35 PM
borkus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not so novice pilot looking for next plane.. help?

I've been flying a Megatech Freedom Flyer now for several months on and off. At first it was mostly off, apparently I had nuked a battery with the cheezo wall charger, causing many crashes upon launch.
Anyway the plane is rebuilt and works great. I have changed it to 2S Lipoly 1500mAh packs and an Electrifly C-12 lipoly compatible speed control, Graupner Speed 400 motor. After all that it really flew great! Then I changed the prop to an APC 7x5 and now it flies like a CHAMP, and super silent. I have a feeling I'm under revving the motor but it really does a great job. My wife (SANTITA) just bought me a Futaba 6exa super controller with 3108 micro servos (3) and 6 channel FM RX.
So I switched the freedom over to 72mhz and the dual rate and exponential controls make it a dream to fly!
Everyone at my field flys trainer or larger gas planes and they've all been amazed by the electric and how it flies now. To the point!

I've been flying well now with this plane for a month or two and I'm getting bored. Pretty soon I'm going to stick one of the extra servos I have in to make use of ailerons but I think the added weight and the overall design of the plane isn't going to make it really much better. I've gotten good at loops but I stay away from rudder rolls as they've caused unrecoverable devastation. So Im looking to get a larger plane, some kind of electric trainer. I'd like to make use of the 3 3108 micro servos I have, I chose them because someone online used micro servers in a SuperStar EP to drop the weight providing better stock setup flight performance. I'm hoping for suggestions, the freedom is 36" wingspan and I think I'm ready for something at least a foot larger.. I want something that will be more stable in the wind and also able to do some more acrobatics (fly upside down, etc)

Unfortunately most planes seem to come with lame stock motors, ESCs, and batteries, it would be way cool if I could get ahold of a superstar EP without any of that I think I want to avoid trying to go the brushless route as its pretty expensive, and I'd rather be able to fly the plane with some larger NiMH packs. I'm hoping for flight times exceeding ten minutes. The Freedom is a lot of fun and I get almots 20 minutes with the lipoly packs.

Thanks for reading this far. I look forward to your helpful suggestions!

Old 01-13-2006, 04:05 AM
maiden-crash

Default RE: not so novice pilot looking for next plane.. help?

hi. im also lookin for a good next plane and i just posted a new thread to see if anyone has flown the cessna skylane ep. from what iv read, its a four channel plane with a metre wingspan and its scale. this might be a good next plane but as i said, idont know much about it and when i get more info ille tell you.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:10 AM
maiden-crash

ihobbico nexstar is a good trainer too exept its not electric
Old 01-13-2006, 07:58 AM
flyranger

Would you be interested in a balsa kit build? I would recommend the Great Planes Lil Poke parkflyer. Don't buy the power package, though. Get an e-flite Park 370 (or 400) outrunner, a 25 amp controller and a 3 cell lipo. My lil' poke (third one for me - dumb thumbs) gets 30 min flights on 1/2 trottle and takes off (and lands) on wheels - unusual for a park flyer. See my gallery photos. Check out tower hobbies.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:03 AM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

The Wattage Super Impress is a good aileron trainer.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/128403.asp
Old 01-13-2006, 03:00 PM
borkus

thanks but thats smaller than what im looking for
Old 01-13-2006, 03:26 PM
borkus

that does seem like a great plane! I really like the idea that you get the choice from the get go about the drive setup (which is what attracts me to the plane i've been looking at lately).. the idea of taking a battery and motor that comes with the kit and sending it to the trash (like with the superstar EP) doesnt appeal to me.

im not sure if im ready for a balsa buildup yet however
Old 01-13-2006, 07:16 PM
maiden-crash

maybe you should try the parkzone p51 mustang or the stryker. from what ive heard, the mustang has pretty faulty electronics but you can also get it in an arf kit. [sm=thumbup.gif] the stryker is rtf and is a nice looking model and good aileron trainer although personally i prefer the mustang.