Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Training
Reload this Page >

QUESTION ABOUT ELECTRIFLY LIPO BATTERY. CHARGE ISSUES!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Training If you are new to electric learn more about them here or ask questions.

QUESTION ABOUT ELECTRIFLY LIPO BATTERY. CHARGE ISSUES!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 10:05 PM
NebulaDDS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QUESTION ABOUT ELECTRIFLY LIPO BATTERY. CHARGE ISSUES!

You might already know that Great Planes ElectriFly batteries come with two leads: a charge lead and a discharge lead (i.e. the one that goes to the speed control). The battery instructions say that you should NEVER charge the battery from the discharge lead.

For some reason, my charger will not recognize the battery's presence when connected to the charge lead. It will, however, recognize it when connected to the discharge lead.

So, what gives here? A faulty lead?

Is there any particular reason not to go ahead and charge it from the discharge lead? Lots of batteries, even LiPo, come with just one lead for charge and discharge.

Could it be something to do with the safety circuit (overcharge protection) that Great Planes has in the battery that necessitates that you charge only through the charge lead?
Old 11-21-2005, 09:31 PM
nitro125

Default RE: QUESTION ABOUT ELECTRIFLY LIPO BATTERY. CHARGE ISSUES!

what kind of charger do u have you failed to mention that
Old 11-22-2005, 07:08 PM
NebulaDDS

It's an MRC Super Brain 969

Now, I'm able to charge it from the discharge lead, but I have a couple of questions:

This is the first time I'm charging the battery. In fact, this is the first time I'm ever charging a LiPo battery.

If this 2-cell (7.4 volt) battery has never been charged, and it's charged at a rate of 1-Amp, how long (approximately) will it take to charge?

What I'm finding is that when I start charging the charger's volt-meter gets close to 7.4 volts rapidly, i.e. within a minute or two. Obviously, the battery cannot be charged up that fast, can it? Obviously, I'm quite concerned about fires/explosions with these batteries, and don't want to screw with anything I'm unsure about.

I mean, how easy is it to cause a fire when charging a LiPo?
Old 11-24-2005, 02:49 PM
nitro125

it depend on the mah of the batter say you have a battery thats 350 mah(milla amps per hour) and you charge that 350mah batery at 350mah on the charger then it would take one hour if the battery was totaly dead but if it has like half the battery drained(the manufacturers ship thier battery with some charge in them usually 30-50% so it would tkae alot less time to charge then
Old 11-26-2005, 04:22 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Please, PLEASE!!! Before you use this charger to charge LiPoly batteries again, read this:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.a...=super%2Cbrain

The MRC Super Brain 969 is NOT designed to charge LiPoly batteries safely, and can cause a fire!